IGNORED

How to open a Atari 5200 cart...

Marc Oberhäuser

I just slowly pry them open starting from the lower corner. It's really hard to break the tabs off, I've only done it once. I do this with all my prototypes.

You might want to ask Sean Kelly or John Hardie what their methods are. They seemed to have no problem quickly opening up my carts.

So what 5200 proto boards do you have? I'm really curious now. I don't put my loose boards into cases, I just put them into paper sleeves instead.

Tempest

Works fine, thank you! I am always too carefull and afraid to destroy something. During the assembling of the Combat Two carts a friend had to open the 265 Pole Position cases:))

Bad thing is that the boards won't fit in the normal 5200 cases, they are too high. Perhaps I have to cut some plastic inside the case... At least the ones which are in front of me (Failsafe, Meebzork, Dig Dug). I don't like to leave them in the paper sleeves. I have put all 2600 prototype carts into cases (only the super chip games have a board which is too large). Before I put them into the cases I scan them and then I will create 2 labels, one for the top side (modified original artwork of the released game incl. a list of differences to the release version of the game) and one for the back side (the scanned proto board)...

Best,

Marc

quote:

Originally posted by MaO:

Bad thing is that the boards won't fit in the normal 5200 cases, they are too high.

Marc,

Are you sure you're putting them in right? Almost all 5200 protos have eyelets instead of sockets on the board. This gives the impression that the chips are soldered when in fact they're socketed. You should have no trouble fitting these into standard cases.

John

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

I just slowly pry them open starting from the lower corner. It's really hard to break the tabs off, I've only done it once. I do this with all my prototypes.

This is good to know, I've never tried to open a 5200 cart before but I've always wondered how they came apart. I've never been brave enough to just start pulling it apart, although I certainly have enough dupes of common carts. Maybe this should be a "Did you know?" entry on the front page..

"Did you know...You can pull apart a 5200 cart by slowly prying them apart from a lower corner."

..Al

Most cartridge cases, regardless of the system, require some prying to open even if they use screws as well. Some 5200 cartridges, at least SEGA's that I know of hand, open easily after the removal of just the one screw on the back side. A plate easily slips out revealing the board. The hard part is putting the spring loaded ones back together again!