IGNORED

iomega zip-100 scsi drive

Gunstar

I picked up this 100MB zip drive at the local thrift store today, as I know other's who have parallel or scsi zips running on their ST's. It only cost me $3 so If I can't get it working on my ST, I guess my laptop has a new toy. Anyway, I was Googling all day trying to figure out how to get this thing working, but couldn't find much info or any drivers or other formatting programs specifically for a zip drive on the ST. Do I just use an HD utility to format a zip disk? By the way, I have a Supradrive scsi which has both a scsi and dma daisy-chain ports. The supradrive's scsi controller handles the port(s) from what I understand (from what little I found out online), although I never got a manual with the Supradrive, something else I was looking for on Google with no luck. I'm plugging the zip drive into the scsi port on the Supradrive. I also know by inspecting the zip drive that it can only be set as either drive 5 or 6. But I haven't been able to get my Mega/STE to recognize it. But I'm not sure if I'm understanding the drive designations correctly or not; are partitions counted as designated drives or just the physical drive itself? I have 2 floppy drives, the Mega/STE's internal HD and the external Supradrive hooked up, and I've gone on the assumption that the floppy drives were designated as 0 and 1, and the internal HD as 2, and the external HD as 3. If this is the case, then I should be able to designate the zip drive as either 5 or 6 becuase they are open designations, right? Or are you unable to skip drive designations on the ST? Do I have to have a 4th designation in the chain first? Or do I have it all wrong? Are partitions counted and/or floppy and HD drives are counted differently since they are hooked up via the different ports? Granted, I have to pick up some zip discs tomorrow, so maybe it can't be recognized without zip disc in it? I'd appreciate any suggestions and links in getting this up and running, initialized&formatted etc.

Edited by Gunstar

I picked up this 100MB zip drive at the local thrift store today, as I know other's who have parallel or scsi zips running on their ST's. It only cost me $3 so If I can't get it working on my ST, I guess my laptop has a new toy. Anyway, I was Googling all day trying to figure out how to get this thing working, but couldn't find much info or any drivers or other formatting programs specifically for a zip drive on the ST. Do I just use an HD utility to format a zip disk? By the way, I have a Supradrive scsi which has both a scsi and dma daisy-chain ports. The supradrive's scsi controller handles the port(s) from what I understand (from what little I found out online), although I never got a manual with the Supradrive, something else I was looking for on Google with no luck. I'm plugging the zip drive into the scsi port on the Supradrive. I also know by inspecting the zip drive that it can only be set as either drive 5 or 6. But I haven't been able to get my Mega/STE to recognize it. But I'm not sure if I'm understanding the drive designations correctly or not; are partitions counted as designated drives or just the physical drive itself? I have 2 floppy drives, the Mega/STE's internal HD and the external Supradrive hooked up, and I've gone on the assumption that the floppy drives were designated as 0 and 1, and the internal HD as 2, and the external HD as 3. If this is the case, then I should be able to designate the zip drive as either 5 or 6 becuase they are open designations, right? Or are you unable to skip drive designations on the ST? Do I have to have a 4th designation in the chain first? Or do I have it all wrong? Are partitions counted and/or floppy and HD drives are counted differently since they are hooked up via the different ports? Granted, I have to pick up some zip discs tomorrow, so maybe it can't be recognized without zip disc in it? I'd appreciate any suggestions and links in getting this up and running, initialized&formatted etc.

1024132[/snapback]

Hey. Well, (this is AFAIK, so don't shoot me if I'm wrong), the floppy drives have *zero* to do with your HD chain. They are A and B, and thats it. It is SCSI so the adaptor is normally ID 0, and it goes up the chain from there. I set my HD next, because the lower the SCSI LUN, the higher priority it gets, from my understanding. Then I set my CDs or in my case, a SyQuest EZ135 on my BBS hardware, and a EZ200 on my CT60 Falcon.

For my SyQuests, which should act a lot like your ZIP drive since they are external SCSI removables too, HDDriver v8.15 here recognizes them just fine. I've got a drive icon on the desktop that works just like a HD icon.

What HD software are you using now? HDDriver just rules. If you don't have it, you could download the demo just to see if it does work with your setup.

HTHs.

What HD software are you using now? HDDriver just rules. If you don't have it, you could download the demo just to see if it does work with your setup.

HTHs.

1024167[/snapback]

My system has HDdriver AHDI 4.2 installed on it right now. That's what it came with when I got it and it's worked fine up to this point, so I thought I'd leave well enough alone.

Well, I can't seem to find the HDdriver executable for initializing&formatting anyway, so I'm going to have to download a version anyway, but I need a full program, not a demo. So, maybe there's and older version that is free, but newer than AHDI 4.2? Well, I need to get some zip disk before I worry about it much more anyway. I just thought I could at least get the drive recognized by the computer, even if it gave me a read error. So far it just says the drive does not exist. I think it might be a drive designation problem still though.

Edited by Gunstar

HTHs.

1024167[/snapback]

My system has HDdriver AHDI 4.2 installed on it right now. That's what it came with when I got it and it's worked fine up to this point, so I thought I'd leave well enough alone.

Well, I can't seem to find the HDdriver executable for initializing&formatting anyway, so I'm going to have to download a version anyway, but I need a full program, not a demo. So, maybe there's and older version that is free, but newer than AHDI 4.2? Well, I need to get some zip disk before I worry about it much more anyway. I just thought I could at least get the drive recognized by the computer, even if it gave me a read error. So far it just says the drive does not exist. I think it might be a drive designation problem still though.

1024181[/snapback]

Well, my thought behind mentioning the demo was that if you could try it and it worked, then it would be worth buying. Thats all. I'd hate to see you buy it and it not help with your problem. I've never seen an older free version of it, but who knows.

Gunstar, I'd like to contact you by e-mail, if you don't mind. :-)

HTHs.

1024167[/snapback]

1024181[/snapback]

Well, my thought behind mentioning the demo was that if you could try it and it worked, then it would be worth buying. Thats all. I'd hate to see you buy it and it not help with your problem. I've never seen an older free version of it, but who knows.

Gunstar, I'd like to contact you by e-mail, if you don't mind. :-)

1024204[/snapback]

go ahead.

O.K. - if I remember, in ST models important are parity. Find on ZIP Drive parity modus and turn it on. Set drive number different that 1 or 7. You must format your ZIP cartridge in ST - ST not read correctly windows od mac formatted diskettes.

1024709[/snapback]

I don't believe thats exactly correct. With my Syquest EZ135 and 200 carts, I can use FAT32 (I believe that's the format name) and it can be read by both PCs and my STs...

I used to exchange files like that with a PC guy here at the local library.

It should be the same for a ZIP cart, I would think...

Yes, if You use HD Driver you can use FAT32, but in pure TOS you can not really use ZIP formatted under Windows systems. Windows can read/write cartridges formatted under Atari.

For usecartridges formatted under Win systems on Atari you must use alternative OS like Magic or MiNT.

• 1 month later...

ZIP drives work just like any other harddisk. Only newer driver software support the extra features of zip drives, such as changing disk while in desktop, locking & password protecting disks...

ZIP drives only work on a SCSI interface with support for parity. Ataris parallell port lacks crucial parts to be able to run a zipdrive. There is some company in germany that sold a printerport for the cartridge port that is able to use parallell zip drives.

AHDI 4.2 sounds like you are using a really old version of Ataris own harddisk driver. v6.061 is the latest I believe, and that one is old as hell too.

HDDriver is the best driver, a demo is available, and I suggest you buy it, it is actually still supported, developed & sold.