IGNORED

Idea evolution or atari arts?

General Atarian

Let me give you guys a nickels worth of free advice....GETTING PERMISSION FROM INFOGRAME IS VITAL. WITHOUT IT, YOU HAVE NO COMPANY, OR USE OF THE ATARI NAME LABEL, OR LOGO.

Get it, or make money just to lose it all. AND you probably will be paying for the rest of your lives.

Infograme want very very very good profits from use of their stuff.

It is not as easy as asking "Hey we have some game ideas, we want to make a little money, but cant afford to BUY BUY BUY BUY the licensing agreements, can we use you name for free?" Figure the odds. I did it, but I got lucky. My profits are none. Atariage message boards guys know what I am talking about.

By the way....have a nice day.

i'm not sure i understand.

do you need permission from atari to make games for the 2600? i wrote a program on my dell, do i need permission from dell? intel?

now that i think about it, did atari give activision permission to make awesome 2600 games. if they did, that was dumb.

i don't recall idea revolution claiming to put the atari logo on anything they make.

Uh Trey? I think that was a reference to the name "Atari Arts." Atari - the real Atari - would give them heck the first time they tried putting that name on any product. The name is still viable. IT's the same reason you can't make computer programs and call yourself "Microsoft Minions" or "Macintush."

quote:

Originally posted by *Trey*:

now that i think about it, did atari give activision permission to make awesome 2600 games. if they did, that was dumb.

No. Activision was formed by about 5 former Atari employees who were fed up with Ray Kassar's autocratic rule of Atari and his refusal to give any of Atari's developers recognition for their designs. Atari sued Activision straight off, and after a court battle that lasted the better part of a year, the courts ruled in favour of Activision, giving them permission to write games for the VCS. That in turn opened the floodgates for hundreds of third party developers to start writing games for the VCS.

In a way, Atari was lucky they lost the suit; third party support was what made the VCS into the biggest selling console of all time.

Of course, it also played a large part in causing the video game crash of '84, but that was partly Atari's fault for having no quality control over third party licenses.