IGNORED

Space Invaders Hack is missing from your site.

KAZ

It is called: "Coke Wins".

The Space Invaders are letters spelled out as Pepsi. The flying saucer above looks like a can of pop.

I can send you guys the rom, and screenshot too. I don't know where I got the rom from, I thought it was from here, but I looked, and you don't have it on your site.

A fairly cool hack of Space Invaders, at least!

That game might actually help me in figuring out how to program 2600 games.

If I can somehow look at the code for this game, I can maybe find the letters P E P S

in the code somewhere.

If they are replaced, maybe I could have different letters.

Hacking sounds easier than programming in general. You just have to know what to change from an existing game's code somehow.

This is actually very easy to do. Go to Dan Boris' 2600 page. Scroll down halfway and download the 2600GFX hacking tools (both in one zip).

Flip to Dos, and enter the following line to convert a rom image to a text file...

SHOWGFX SPACEINV.BIN 0 4096 > SPACEINV.TXT

The numbers 0 4096 is the starting point and the length of the rom (you can see this on the screen of a directory). The > character will "pipe" the text into a file...without it, the converted text will simply be thrown on the screen. And the last filename is the file to put all that text.

Now that the rom is in a text file, you can edit it EDIT SPACEINV.TXT. The numbers off to the left are the addresses of the bytes. The X's inside the other area are the seperate "bits" of the value contained there. Most of the bytes will be program code, but if you scroll down, you will eventually come to areas of the text file that have the X's layed out in recognisable shapes. Often, these pictures are upside-down due to how the program fetches them. Simply type in new X's or spaces to create your custom bitmap (be sure to keep your new image within the size of the original bitmap...as the blank areas above and below the picture are often used by the program...and I'd suggest hitting the INSERT key on your keyboard before you begin).

When you are done editing, save the file and exit. To change the text back into a binary file, use this line...

EDITGFX SPACEINV.TXT SPACEHAC.BIN

Substitute the file name for whatever you want to call it. Then load up the emulator and try it out!

Happy Hacking!

Changing "missile" sprites is a little more involved...since these are only 2 bits (pixels) wide, they rarely show up as a bitmap. They are usually just "drawn" by the program itself.

If you want, you can use the 2600GFX tools to hack program values as well (like # of lives) once you learn to read machine language. The bitmap decimal value of a byte is equal to :

128 + 64 + 32 + 16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1

In other words, if you have an X in the first position and an X in the last (with spaces in between), the value would be equal to 129 (128 + 1). All 3 number types (binary, decimal, hexadecimal) can also be converted to another type by using the calculator on your desktop in "scientific" mode.

Cool. You might want to try changing game graphics of other games so that they more closely resembles the arcade games that they are based on. Many members have had their hacks added to the archives in this manner (and some like Thomas have gone as far as fixing the controls of games so that they are more authentic...but save that for later

quote:

Originally posted by ubersaurus:

Speaking of which. Tom never sent Atariage his sweet Pitfall map hack.

Why should I?

The source is out there (The Dig!) and everybody can quite easily make his own (and probalby better) one.

And I was just changing a very few bits, so that was below my minimal standards.