IGNORED

IMPORTANT: Conversion to New Forums Tonight

Albert

I think we should wait until the boards go live to doom-say. Having acted as Al's forum monkey for the past few days, I have to say I think the new message boards are fantastic and that most people will really like them, though perhaps not as much as Al does. I don't think anyone could like them as much as Al.

quote:

Originally posted by pitfallaimee:

I think we should wait until the boards go live to doom-say. Having acted as Al's forum monkey for the past few days, I have to say I think the new message boards are fantastic and that most people will really like them, though perhaps not as much as Al does. I don't think anyone could like them as much as Al.

I wouldn't to as far to say as I have an unhealthy obsession, but it is something I've wanted to see happen for a while. So last week I spent a lot of time working on the converter, and once that was done we started working on the many other little issues that would have to be addressed.

Besides my opinion of the new software being better, there are other, technical reasons why I'm glad to see this change. UBB6 is written in Perl, and at times can be a resource hog on the server. Plus, UBB creates tens of thousands of files since it uses flat files instead of a database. The new software uses PHP and MySQL, which is what drives the rest of the site. Everything is stored in *one* file, and it's also much easier to back up.

It's unclear at present how much of an impact the new forums will have on the server, it could be better it might be worse. If it's worse, then we'll upgrade to a more powerful server (something we've considered doing anyway). If it's better, then you won't hear any complaints from me.

Regarding polls, obviously we do not want them to get out of control. I agree with everyone who has said that too many meaningless polls can have a negative impact on a message board. I like Stan's idea of creating a forum explicitly for polls, and then perhaps only moderators can create polls in other forums. We'll experiment with it a bit, but rest assured we're not going to allow the creation of hundreds of frivolous polls to clutter the boards.

And as for larger avatars, the current size of 64x64 is very limiting at times, so having larger avatars will be nice. Again, we're not going to let people get carried away here, and we're not going to allow people to stick any graphics in their signature. As I said in an earlier post, I'll probably add a feature to the site that lets you turn off avatars completely, or perhaps only display avatars under a certain size.

Remember, once we put the new forums up it's not like we can't change anything. We tweaked the existing forums for a bit when AtariAge went online, and we expect to do the same with the new forums. Fortunately, the ability to "tweak" will be much greater now, so we'll be able to react more quickly to any issues that crop up.

..Al

Well I agree with what has been said about polls going too far...so I propose this:

Have a MAIN poll for the major systems...

Asking all the members these questions:

What is the top 20 Atari 2600 games?

What is the top 20 Atari 5200 games?

etc. etc., you get the idea.

These would be created by the ADMIN, and they would have full control over constructing the options available.

Like a long list of Atari 2600 games, that someone could scroll through to pick them.

That WOULD be useful to me, cuz I want to know what others on this message board think are the best Atari 2600 games, so that it can guide me in deciding what games I'll want to get for my collection.

Actually you don't need any more polls than the type that I've said...

So I vote that the ADMINS be the only ones to construct actual polls, whereas there can be a forum for people who would like to SUGGEST to them possible polls.

That way we'd only have really high quality polls, and get more responses to those polls because of it.

That is all

There! Hows that! I'm glad I thought of it

Actually I probably would have been within the top 10 but unfortunately I had stopped visiting the Nexus when it was down for a few days, and when Atariage popped up, I didn't register to post until I saw a topic that I wanted to reply to. Oh well..

I like Thomas' idea about having to EARN the PRIVILEGE to even respond to a poll, or create one.

Like every 100 posts you get to MAKE A POLL, and RESPOND TO A POLL.

Anything that builds on a member's post count is pretty cool to me. Like incentives for reaching new levels of post counts.

Maybe every 100 posts, you couldn't make a poll, just respond to one.

That would stop newbies from logging in and making a mockery of the polls that have been created. Like voting 900 times for something. Those who reach 100 posts at least could be seen to value the message board more.

When the guy with #2600 for a member number (which won't happen in this new system of course), he could be seen as the LONG AWAITED CHOSEN ONE!!!

All his posts no matter how idiotic would be marveled at. If he says ET was the greatest cartridge ever made, then it will hence forth be considered TRUE!

All will hail him until the greater GOD appears with the #6507 member number!

GAH! these new confounded boards are too blasted confusing! You young people and your gall-darned technology! Who can find anything now, with all your dang-nabbed options and features! bah! Who needs 'em! In my day we used to stand on a hill top and scream to someone standing on another hill top miles aways! How's that for your cotton-pickin' internet and yer fancy-shmancy message boards!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Seriously though, this is WAAAAAAAAAY different from what I am used to and in my typical "StanJr fears change" mode, I'll probably be gone for a while as I try to adjust and figure out just what all this new crap is.