IGNORED

Will the Real James Bond Please Stand Up?

DuckandCover

I've had a question that's been bugging me for a while that I'm hoping one of our learned video game historians will have some information on.

Back in the day, one of the carts that I was really anticipating was Parker Brother's James Bond 007. I can recall seeing ads on the back covers of some of my favorite comic books, showing a screenshot of the game, in which 007 is involved in a tense battle with bad guys on a train, the scenario being based on one of the sequences from the film Octopussy. One of the Parker Brothers catalogs gives the same description of the game.

Parker Brothers Catalog: James Bond 007

Of course, anyone who has played the cart that was ultimately released knows that the released game bears absolutely no resemblance to to the one describeed in the ads or catalog. Instead, the game was a side scrolling driving/shooting challenge based on several different Bond films. (It's a tough game to boot-one that I've recently began working to beat in earnest).

Does anyone know what happened? Was the first game developed, then scrapped. Did a competing idea replace the first one before programming ever began? I was just wondering if anyone knew the history behind this. It would be interesting if a proto of the original game turned up someday (if it even exists).

The second game your referring to is James Bond: As Seen in Octopussy. There were some fake screenshots in the PB catalogs, but no one has found a prototype to date. I'd guess that the game was completed to some degree and a prototype is out there somewhere.

Here are some of those fake screenshots: http://www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/26jamesbond.htm

Tempest

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: Tempest ]

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Federico:

The 007 available to us is a Moon Patrol rip-off with a less accurate control scheme.

Much as I like the game, I have to admit the controls are pretty tough to get used to. Maybe that's part of the reason I've never made it past the second level...