IGNORED

Former Atari worker now pioneer in Artificial Intelligence

Ridenmy65

I was reading the paper this morning and came upon an article on the "advances" in Artificial Intelligence.

Apparently this guy named Doug Lenat, who worked as a researcher for Atari in 1983, developed this computer called "CYC" pronounced "psych".

Well, I was not convinced of any of these "advances" in technology but I thought it was a testament to the kind of people that worked for Atari back in the day.

Angelo

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/business/...ogy/3428761.htm

In 1983, when Lenat was a professor at Stanford University and a researcher for Atari, he decided artificial intelligence would go nowhere unless someone took the time to create a catalog of common sense that would let a computer recognize absurdities as well as humans can.

That's awesome, I didn't realize Lenat had any ties to Atari. I was just reading about this on Slashdot a few days ago. Cool stuff, although it sounds like they've been on the verge of "something great" for some time now. I'd love to see some fruits of all this artificial intelligence research, but I feel it's going to require computers magnitudes faster than what we have now to handle the amount of information necessary for one to pass the Turing test. :)

..Al

Albert, what are doing reading Slashdot when the Thrust+ compo winner still needs to be announced?  Hmm? :?

Well, uhmmm, that was several days ago, before the contest ended. I will post the winners tomorrow, I've gotten too caught up in the whole forum transition and nearly all my free time today was spent on that. Jah Fish knows who the winner is, and I presume he told Thomas Jentzsch. :)

..Al