IGNORED

Atari 7800 with CC2

Paranoid

Well... I just decided to go ahead and buy a new CC2 from Schell's. Being that it looks like he is trying to close out his inventory, I decided I should jump on his lower price while it is available.

I didn't realize that it was socketed to accept a Pokey. That is pretty cool, although, when it only adds sound in 2 games and enhances sound in one more, I'm not sure if I'll even bother...

But, unfortunately, I've put the horse before the cart on this one. I don't have an Atari 7800 yet. I'm going to have to scramble to pick one up.

To that end, I don't really know anything about the 7800. Does it have two discreet fire buttons, or does it simply have a single fire button that is on both sides of the stick? Do I have to use a 7800 "proline" stick, or can I use a traditional Atari CX46 style stick? What about RF modulators? It looks like they use the same switchbox as the 2600, so I'm assuming the little composite to coax adaptor will work with a cable-ready TV...

I'm looking for an Atari 7800. I'm willing to trade (see my list of classic computer equipment in the marketplace) or willing to pay cash via Paypal... and visual condition isn't important to me... I'm only interested in that it works reliably and trouble-free, and that it is *cheap*. :) I don't need boxes, it doesn't have to be original accessories (pending on if the Proline is a different beast than a normal Atari joystick) or have video mods or any of that. I just want to play games.

As a matter of fact, if a regular Atari style joystick will work and the comp-to-coax adaptor works, I don't need joysticks or a switchbox, just the console and a working wall wart. If anybody has something like this, they want to part with, cheap, I'd appreciate it, and I'm *real* negotiable on my for-trade items. (I've got more old stuff than money).

Anyone with a CC2 have a large MMC (256mb)? Is there any problems with using the CC2 with a big MMC card? I just want to know if I'm going to need to buy a new, smaller one, or if my larger one will work.

I've never owned a 7800...

To that end, I don't really know anything about the 7800. Does it have two discreet fire buttons, or does it simply have a single fire button that is on both sides of the stick?

Yes. :)

For 7800 games, the buttons can act discreetly. For 2600 games, either can be used as the 2600's single fire button.

Do I have to use a 7800 "proline" stick, or can I use a traditional Atari CX46 style stick?

Many 7800 games require the Proline or other 7800-compatible 2-button joystick (Atari also made a joypad similar to those for the NES and SMS, which personally I like better), but all 2600 games and some 7800 games will work just fine with a 2600-compatible single-button joystick.

What about RF modulators?

Anything that works with the 2600 will work with the 7800.

To that end, I don't really know anything about the 7800. Does it have two discreet fire buttons, or does it simply have a single fire button that is on both sides of the stick?

Yes. :)

For 7800 games, the buttons can act discreetly. For 2600 games, either can be used as the 2600's single fire button.

Do I have to use a 7800 "proline" stick, or can I use a traditional Atari CX46 style stick?

Many 7800 games require the Proline or other 7800-compatible 2-button joystick (Atari also made a joypad similar to those for the NES and SMS, which personally I like better), but all 2600 games and some 7800 games will work just fine with a 2600-compatible single-button joystick.

1026430[/snapback]

I had kind of gotten this impression from following other threads. Interesting, although, kind of a bummer (I suppose I should pick up a 7800 joystick with whatever I buy then, as I'll probably want one sooner or later, this being the case). I guess now I'll find out if the Pro-line or the 5200 stick is actually the "worst". :)

Honestly, this is mostly intended as a 2600... and as an alternative to buying a Supercharger. The more I read up on it, the more it just made sense to go this way. Heh. This is a long way to go to be able to play Dragonstomper outside of emulation. But my 5200 multi-cart ( :love: :D ) convinced me that this is really the way to go, being that I'm a player, not a collector. I could spend far more money and time chasing down a collection and for all I know, some of my old favorites may be rare and outrageously expensive. Being that I've got the CC2, I'm sure I'll want to check out the 7800 roms eventually, too though.

I've actually got a copy of 7800 dig-dug sitting out in the garage that I found at a thrift-store. Too bad the 7800 wasn't there, too.

Thanks for the response, Skunx.

I didn't realize that it was socketed to accept a Pokey. That is pretty cool, although, when it only adds sound in 2 games and enhances sound in one more, I'm not sure if I'll even bother...

Anyone with a CC2 have a large MMC (256mb)? Is there any problems with using the CC2 with a big MMC card? I just want to know if I'm going to need to buy a new, smaller one, or if my larger one will work.

1026427[/snapback]

I use a 512 MB RS-MMC card. It works perfectly. I recommend finding RS-MMC cards since you can remove the extension and the card is fully inside the cartridge. There have been treads here about the MMC socket being ripped right off the board.

Pokeys should be easy to come by. You can get it from any Atari 8bit computer. The older ones are recommended since they are socketed.

If you're a more of a player, my advice is to put the Dragonstomper cassette away when you get it, and use a ROM file to play that game.

Those Starpath tapes have to be getting physically weak by now.  I'm not even sure if mine still work.

1026792[/snapback]

Well, with the Cuttle Cart 2, I'm just planning on loading the multi-load ROM up and going to town. That will work, right? I'll probably end up buying a copy of Stella Gets a New Brain.

Well, with the Cuttle Cart 2, I'm just planning on loading the multi-load ROM up and going to town. That will work, right? I'll probably end up buying a copy of Stella Gets a New Brain.

1026821[/snapback]

Yup, CC2 will handle all SuperCharger games including multi-loads. Note: it has a unique naming convention for multi-load games, although I think the auto-converter will handle all of the original games.

I looked for a Cuttle Cart 1, and even considered a Supercharger and doing Colbert's modification of it...

But in the end.. the Cuttle Cart 2 is available now, is still supported, and although the extra expensve of picking up a 7800 is a bummer, it isn't like I'm complaining about having to buy a new console that has some very decent titles available for it.

My 2600 and carts will probably go into storage once I get a 7800 and the CC2. I suppose I could try to sell them and make some of my money back... but, it can't hurt to have a spare with this stuff.

I looked for a Cuttle Cart 1, and even considered a Supercharger and doing Colbert's modification of it...

But in the end.. the Cuttle Cart 2 is available now, is still supported, and although the extra expensve of picking up a 7800 is a bummer, it isn't like I'm complaining about having to buy a new console that has some very decent titles available for it.

My 2600 and carts will probably go into storage once I get a 7800 and the CC2. I suppose I could try to sell them and make some of my money back... but, it can't hurt to have a spare with this stuff.

1027011[/snapback]

Paranoid, I predict (as a satisfied CC2 owner myself) that you will love your CC2. Keep your old carts - I did - that way you are legally using the commercial ROMs in your CC2 under the principles of fair use.

When shopping for your 7800 make sure it has a working power adapter.  Atari used a custom connector so if it's missing you're going to need to solder on a replacement jack.

1026495[/snapback]

Or you could just order one from Atariguide if you need to:

http://stores.ebay.com/AtariGuide

or

http://www.atariguide.com/store/products.htm

brand new :)

I use a 512 MB  RS-MMC card.  It works perfectly.  I recommend finding RS-MMC cards since you can remove the extension and the card is fully inside the cartridge.  There have been treads here about the MMC socket being ripped right off the board.

1026449[/snapback]

*raises hand*

In result, I gotta get another CC2... once I clear everything out with SBC, I'll be able to order one.

I saw in that thread that you had ripped off your MMC socket, Keilbaca. That sucks. I was just curious if Schells will repair out of warranty CC2s for a service charge, or if there was someone else on AtariAge who would offer such a service? Is the damage when the MMC socket has been ripped off too extensive to make a repair feasible?

What is an RS-MMC card? I only have a regular MMC, it looks just like a SD card. I'm assuming this is the kind that sticks out... I'm just going to have to be careful for awhile.

As far as the Atari 7800... eBay is driving me nuts. Several went within the last few days for as little as $13, tested and working. The last one bid up to $38... and other then power and TV it only came with two Proline joysticks, one of which was duct-taped together. Heh. At $40, I'll absolutely just go the extra $50 and pick one up refurbed from Best-Electronics. I guess I shouldn't panic yet and wait for the people with more money than brains to get their 7800s then pick up one when interest dies back down. I just don't want to get the CC2 and be waiting for a few weeks for a system to use it on to arrive.

Along those lines, I sent an email to 4-Jays and didn't get a response. Has anyone else found them a little curt and seemingly disinterested in dealing with people? I think I've talked with them a couple times, and both times, they seemed like they weren't really interested in my business. The guy at Best Electronics is great, though... he almost gives you TOO much information on whatever you're interested in and seems as excited as you are about the deal.

Yeah, I was going to hang on to my carts, for the Fair-Use reasoning. Same thing with picking up a copy of Stella Gets a New Brain. The weird thing is... honestly, there is little or no enforcement with the retro titles, but if there were, I'm guessing Fair-Use wouldn't hold up in court in today's copyright climate. As long as the MPAA and RIAA are intent on controlling the delivery and media format of their titles, the concept of fair-use is shakey in court from my perspective. And SEGA challenging and winning against ROM sites with their "fair-use" disclaimer is troubling too, even if those cases address distribution and not end-use.

7800? I just went straight to the top of the food chain by getting an S-video modded model from a very nice person on this forum ;)

Actually I needed it because here in PAL land, I wasn't able to play NTSC only games properly on my 7800. As TVs here support NTSC fine through composite and S-video... well you can figure out the rest :)

What is an RS-MMC card? I only have a regular MMC, it looks just like a SD card. I'm assuming this is the kind that sticks out... I'm just going to have to be careful for awhile.

1027700[/snapback]

The extension with the RS-MMC makes it the same size as the MMC cards. Removed they are half as long.

post-7833-1141433617_thumb.jpg

1027700[/snapback]

The extension with the RS-MMC makes it the same size as the MMC cards. Removed they are half as long.

1027857[/snapback]

Looks a lot like my SanDisk USB-thumb drive/SD card, only if it were broken. :)

As far as nice people on the AtariAge forum goes... I've got a "Wanted" post up, but haven't heard back, and the only one available here is far too expensive for my budget.

Anyone interested in a working Mac IIvx with color monitor, big hard drive, and 10mb ethernet card could probably work out a killer deal with me on an Atari 7800 trade right now, though. ;)

Well... I finally picked up a 7800... I swear, I watched 3 go for less than $25, and the last 6 I bid on went for a minimum of $35 plus $12 shipping and handling. Someone posted a system for $45, including shipping and handling. Strange thing was... $45 buy it now, or $45 minimum bid. Heh. They must have been watching the recent bids, too.

I love Desert Falcon and Balblazer for the 7800...

Um, if and when Iget back down to my invintory if I have 3 and not 2 7800's I'll see what I can do...

THere's a 'guy' here in town that has a first ed for like $60 and 'some other guy' has a 'normal' one for approx $35... but then I'd have to figure out shipping but I do know where there are two in Jacksonville.

If you don't find anything satasfactory LMK.

I love Desert Falcon and Balblazer for the 7800...

Um, if and when  Iget back down to my invintory if I have 3 and not 2 7800's I'll see what I can do...

THere's a 'guy' here in town that has a first ed for like $60 and 'some other guy' has a 'normal' one for approx $35... but then I'd have to figure out shipping but I do know where there are two in Jacksonville.

If you don't find anything satasfactory LMK.

1028750[/snapback]

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind for sure. We'll see how this one is when (if) it shows up... I'll probably be looking for a spare, too. I've got three 5200s, a single tele-video 2600, and three FB2s... With this Atari stuff, it just pays to have an extra one lying around. :)

Well... I picked one 7800 up on a BIN and forgot I had set up a snipe service to bid on another 7800, which I won... so I've got two on the way now. Heh. Oops.

Can't hurt to have a spare.

The second one, the seller only accepts Cashier Check or Money Order (no paypal), they have negative feedback, and they turned their feedback private. I'm a little worried about that.

Anyhow, my CC2 arrived today. I'm totally excited. I can't believe it arrived so fast. Going to have to put Chad Schell on my Recommended Seller's list. :)

But now I have to deal with the agony of having the cart and no Atari to use it on. Hopefully the BIN one will arrive shortly. I suppose in the meantime I can start loading ROMS and figuring out the menu organization and all that. Maybe I'll give you guys a break on posting in every forum on here for a few days. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your purchase of a 7800 and CC2. I think the CC2 is one of the best video game related purchases I've ever made. :)

For the 7800 I'd recommend Alien Brigade, Ballblazer, Scrapyard Dog and Midnight Mutants. It has great arcade ports like Joust and Robotron, but I enjoy it's exclusive titles more.