IGNORED

look for repairman....

lucifershalo

dead again....I am in Belgium and twice I had an atari 5200 shipped to me and it died, this time the power supply died but I have been able to use another one, but now dead again, dont know what happened and as I mentioned in another topic being in a pal country (with a multistandard tv) I havent been able to have any sound

if someone can repair the console and find a solution for sound, I will pay him of course and ship to him and back the item at my cost (via my UPS account)

dead again....I am in Belgium and twice I had an atari 5200 shipped to me and it died, this time the power supply died but I have been able to use another one, but now dead again, dont know what happened and as I mentioned in another topic being in a pal country (with a multistandard tv) I havent been able to have any sound

if someone can repair the console and find a solution for sound, I will pay him of course and ship to him and back the item at my cost (via my UPS account)

1026869[/snapback]

Check and see if it is just your power supply, there is a fuse in it that will die sometimes.

Mitch

The fuse inside there is soldered in. You can fix it without a solder gun though. I just attached a wire to each end of the fuse holder inside the pack, ran it outside and attached my own fuse externally. It's ugly but it works, and I've had to change the fuse more than once, so it makes it convenient to have the fuse on the outside of the pack.

The fuse inside there is soldered in. You can fix it without a solder gun though. I just attached a wire to each end of the fuse holder inside the pack, ran it outside and attached my own fuse externally. It's ugly but it works, and I've had to change the fuse more than once, so it makes it convenient to have the fuse on the outside of the pack.

1027109[/snapback]

They actually sell a fuse receptical at Radio Shack. If you have .5"x.25" of space in any spot in the power supply, you can install one. You simply drill a hole in the casing, this screws in, and a large cap goes on the outside. The cap holds the fuse and also makes the connection.

It looks like this: 102.jpg

1027109[/snapback]

They actually sell a fuse receptical at Radio Shack. If you have .5"x.25" of space in any spot in the power supply, you can install one. You simply drill a hole in the casing, this screws in, and a large cap goes on the outside. The cap holds the fuse and also makes the connection.

It looks like this: 102.jpg

1027319[/snapback]

Nice! I have about six dead about 8-bit power supplies I could add that too.

Are Atari 400/800 and 5200 supplies interchangable?

NO.

EMPHATICALLY, NO, NO, NO.

Once, a few years ago, I received a dead 5200 from joeybastard. He'd bought the unit from somebody on eBay. When he received it, an Atari 800 power supply was with the system, and the system didn't power up. (See: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...power+ebay+dead , also, http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14927 )

If the 400 uses the same P/S as the 800, it will do very, very bad things to the guts of the 5200.

It could be the 50 Hz power you are using in Belgium. When I go to europe, My laptop power supply gets a lot hotter than here in the us. The transformer may be running a bit hotter. Extra cooling may be all you need. Cut slots in the case and add a computer cooling fan. This may help.

What are you using for voltage step down to 110VAC? I don't know if the 5200 Power supply is 100-240 vac like most newer things. If you are using a step down transformer in front of it, it may not be supplying enough current, so the 5200 supply is operating in a "brown-out" condition. not enough input voltage will kill a transformer/power supply pretty quickly.

As far as Atari 5200 repair is concerned... Best Electronic sells motherboards for about $30, USD... and atari2600.com has a flat rate repair for the Atari 5200 of $30 USD.

I'm sure either could hook you up with the appropriate power supply, as well. But, considering your location, it sounds like leanring how to repair YOUR power supply is the most effective and cost efficient long term solution.

I wouldn't waste my time with the stock 5200 power supply. I've had a few that died but still had their fuses intact. I even had one die between cartridge chages - turned off, put in new game, never turned back on. I haven't even seen a working 2600 supply since 1984 ;)

All of my Ataris (except the Jag) are powered with comperable supplies made by someone other than Atari.