IGNORED

Jungle King

sku_u

Yes and no. I was responsible for the Jungle King hack, but no new sounds were added to the game. I was talking to the guy who worked on the Homestar Runner RPG... he whipped up a really sweet soundtrack, but never added that music to the game.

EDIT: Whoop, here it is!

http://www.atariage.com/hack_page.html?Sys...ftwareHackID=96

JR

Edited by Jess Ragan

Why's this in the 7800 hacks section?

1029368[/snapback]

Wishful thinking??

1029370[/snapback]

What he said. ;-)

I moved it to the 5200 section. I'd love to see a near arcade perfect hack of Jungle Hunt into Jungle King complete with soundtrack.

The 2600 hack proves that it's doable.

• 2 years later...

The Tarzan sound is in the "kn59-1.bin" within the Junglek.zip in MAME.

All of 4K in size, it plays back reasonably accurately when I import it in Audacity as 8-bit unsigned mono.

ed - it plays back OK as a packed 4-bit sample on the Atari at ~ 4 KHz.

The game obviously plays the start, repeats the middle part then plays the end part.

ed2 - Might be best to just rip the sound from a Tarzan movie.

Quick & dirty XEX to play the sound - press Start.

JKING.zip

Edited by Rybags

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a preliminary manual for Pirate Pete. I'd like to do a 'real' one with all the graphics. I'm not sure if anything else will get changed in the hack though so it's up for revision. What is used to replace the monkeys in Pirate Pete? The monkeys seem out of place.

Allan

Atari_5200_Pirate_Pete_manual.pdf.zip

I did a preliminary manual for Pirate Pete. I'd like to do a 'real' one with all the graphics. I'm not sure if anything else will get changed in the hack though so it's up for revision. What is used to replace the monkeys in Pirate Pete? The monkeys seem out of place.

Allan

If you want to do a box let me know:)

Pirates do too have monkeys! Doesn't everyone?

Finally advanced far enough on MAME PP to find a parrot swinging from the rope. Just need to ruffle a few more feathers and Vs2 will have a swinging parrot, too. Meantime here's a monkeyless Pirate Pete.

That's funny because that's exactly what my wife said when I was telling her.

Allan

Cool. This game came out really nice. Just out of curiosity, was there a reason why you didn't/couldn't make him green?

Allan

Yep, don't know how to color. No matter how hard I press the crayon on the screen it just leaves me with a waxy monitor. Even Pirate Pete hasn't changed color. Dumb luck allowed me to find a masking thingy in the program that can change Pete from Purple to Blue or even to light Green when on the ropes or running & jumping. But it doesn't work on the parrot. You can see that masking go away when Pete jumps off the end of the ship and he's still yellow underneath. Other than a few ship tiles switched around with a hex editor, this is just a basic tile edit job. The 8-bit programming forums intimidate me with their scary big boy words, so maybe somebody can change it to green. That's what I would do, but I'll have to get a bigger box of crayons first. Maybe a box of 64 with the build-in sharpener!

Cool. This game came out really nice. Just out of curiosity, was there a reason why you didn't/couldn't make him green?

Allan

Yep, don't know how to color. No matter how hard I press the crayon on the screen it just leaves me with a waxy monitor. Even Pirate Pete hasn't changed color. Dumb luck allowed me to find a masking thingy in the program that can change Pete from Purple to Blue or even to light Green when on the ropes or running & jumping. But it doesn't work on the parrot. You can see that masking go away when Pete jumps off the end of the ship and he's still yellow underneath. Other than a few ship tiles switched around with a hex editor, this is just a basic tile edit job. The 8-bit programming forums intimidate me with their scary big boy words, so maybe somebody can change it to green. That's what I would do, but I'll have to get a bigger box of crayons first. Maybe a box of 64 with the build-in sharpener!

Well for a 'Basic tile edit job' you did a fantastic job.

Allan