IGNORED

The 576K XE compatible 800

warerat

Wow, a 576k 800. Kudos bro, KUDOS. But why 576k, not just going all out and give it 640k?

576k comes from 64k + 512k. The 512k is separate from the 64k. 64k is main memory. If you wanted more, the next logical step up would have been 1088k. If you have seen any XE upgrades they tend to be 64k + a multiple of 2^n(256,512,1024k) so the total would be 320k, 576k, or 1088k. warerat's design follows that trend.

BTW,

Why do you want 640k? warerat is not trying to build a PC clone. I have only seen 640k significant there.

Now it makes since. I see the trend your talking about, yes. I would have just thought that that would have been the next step, 640k, but I guess I'm wrong.

Well, the reason 640k is not usually made is because it probably takes the same amount of work to get 640k as it does 1088k. So which would you rather have? I bet any cost savings in ram is not worth the effort putting it together.

Of course one could make the argument that ram above 128k is not needed since we do have access to Flash ram connected to the MyIDE card.

• 1 month later...
Wow! Awesome mods!

OT:

Where did you get 512KByte SRAMs for only $5.90? Cheapest price I can find is $19.

I'm not doing anything near as ambitious as your project. Just a couple of SRAM multicarts, one external, one internal (800XL).

I would really like to know how to implement SRAM as main memory (800XL). Do you plan to post schematics of your 800 projects.

Steve Sheppard

I bought them at: http://www.futurlec.com/ICRAM.shtml

The Samsung 684000 is $6.90 now. That's what I ordered but I got the Hitachi 628512 instead. Pin compatible anyway.

Just think-- you could implement the entire 130XE memory with one 128Kx8 SRAM for $2.90...

Yes, but I still don't know how to do it!

I like to tinker but I'm really not that savvy.

I'll look at the 800XL memory upgrade next.

I'm still working/playing at an internal SRAM cart for my 800XL.

If I could combine the two projects that would be great but at these prices two separate SRAM projects is no big expense and keeps things simple (for me).

• 9 months later...

Warerat -

If you want, I already have a PCB layout for what I call an Atari CX-870 which is an Atari 800 slot board with a MyIDE on it. Its in PCB Express format, I did it I think about 6-7 years ago and its just been sitting on my HD patiently waiting to be used.

Curt

After weeks of working on and off on this and ironing out bugs, I'm finally able to declare victory. What I have now is a 100% XL/XE compatible 800, with 576K, including switchable selftest and built in BASIC. What's really nice is that the power consumption of the GALs and SRAMs are much lower than the two 16K RAM cards it replaces, so the whole machine runs a lot cooler. I'll probably end up replacing the remaining 16K card with a SRAM to drop consumption even more. Nothing like a 512K ramdisk on a nice keyboard.

The top board is a highly modified OS board, it contains a slightly modified XL OS, the BASIC ROM, and RAM (effectively the missing 16K on a 48K machine). It receives PB0 from port 3 for the OS RAM/ROM select (blue wire on right), and has two additional inputs (two wires entering on left) for the BASIC and selftest ROM enables that come from the RAM board. The RAM board is on the bottom. It goes in the middle memory slot and replaces the last two 16K modules. It provides the regular 32K and an additional 512K in the normal $4000-$7FFF zone. The wires going out on the right go to ports 3 and 4 for the memory enable, bank selects, basic, and selftest. The two wires on the left connect to the OS board to provide the additional enables for switchable BASIC and selftest ROMs.

Now that slot 3 is free, I'm going to make a custom MyIDE based card to have an internal CF disk. In theory, as the 800 has +12V on the slots and I've dropped most of the power hungry DRAMs out, I might even be able to run a low-power harddrive off it.

Don't mess with the beige. :)

• 1 month later...

So what's the status of this? I'd kill to be able to use my Atari 800 instead of my Atari 800XL for my main gaming rig (the missing expansion port is no biggie since I don't use a MIO or Blackbox). Try as I might, I can't get used to using a the 800XL, I grew up with the 400 and 800, and those are the systems I'm used to.

Tempest

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
additional UK bump

You didn't happen to win that "spares or repairs" 800 on eBay today did you mimo?

Nope, got an NTSC one from someone here (which is less yellow than 2 days ago :D )

Missed the UK one though :(

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...iew=getlastpost

Looks like he's wanting a headcount of interested people :) Let's all go sign up.

Stephen Anderson

additional UK bump

You didn't happen to win that "spares or repairs" 800 on eBay today did you mimo?

Nope, got an NTSC one from someone here (which is less yellow than 2 days ago :D )

Missed the UK one though :(

Ah, I thought of you when I was outbid! It went for £21 plus shipping. No display on the TV and two keys missing from the keyboard. I thought it might have been an easy fix but since I already have one it didn't seem worth paying a huge amount for it.

I can't wait to try some de-yellowing myself. Probably have to wait until the end of the month though.

• 10 years later...

Question regarding the 512k sram Axlon board.  Will SDX 4.49c (late versions) recognize the ram well enough to load the SIde driver without giving me the Error 179 I presently get with only 48k?   Right now SDX works well,  but I can't access the CF card as a drive under it on the 800.

Best,

Jeff

29 minutes ago, Technoid Mutant said:

Question regarding the 512k sram Axlon board.  Will SDX 4.49c (late versions) recognize the ram well enough to load the SIde driver without giving me the Error 179 I presently get with only 48k?   Right now SDX works well,  but I can't access the CF card as a drive under it on the 800.

Best,

Jeff

YES, it should.

I just set my 800 / Incognito to Colleen mode, 1024 KB AXLON, Basic=OFF, and SDX=Disabled on v3 system BIOS... Then plugged SIDE (1) Cart on Left-slot, with its mode switch on SDX mode, and tried booting and... VOILA! SDX 4.49c shows 1,024 RAM available (via AXLON-based banking).

Have not tried with SDX flashed on AtariMax 8Mbit cart... but SHOULD work, as well!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's funny seeing my responses from 2006, when apparently I still had a 320XE. I also just started doing similar project to this myself this past year (still under construction) after getting another 800 (sold the other in 2007) and still no Incognito's readily available...I'm going with several different configurations that I can change just by swapping out the OS & ram boards; XL/XE Rambo compatible (256-512K) port B, Axlon compatible (128-1024K) and Mosiac 64K (52+12K [4x4K] banked) OS B. Why all or any of the three? Because I can. Because Incognito does similarly too. My versions will be using multiple cards and all old-school IC's and dram memory though. All DIY using 2 different OS boards and 3 upgraded 16K boards. All using Claus B. DIY designs.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

If the 800 doesn't like the Atarimax or Side Cart you might have to fix the cartridge trace to phi as opposed to the original ras cas signals... there's write ups about that you can find here on AtariAge as well as other forums...

There is a mod instruction linked to The!Cart page to modify it and Atarimax MyIDE II to work with the 800, maybe what you are referring too? I already did it and it works for these two, I don't own a Side cart though.

9 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

There is a mod instruction linked to The!Cart page to modify it and Atarimax MyIDE II to work with the 800, maybe what you are referring too? I already did it and it works for these two, I don't own a Side cart though.

correct, it makes up for many devices and carts that don't abide the timing that they should, though recently one of our returning Atarians issued some firmware patch fixing up cart behaviors without doing hardware fixes. :)

On 8/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

If the 800 doesn't like the Atarimax or Side Cart you might have to fix the cartridge trace to phi as opposed to the original ras cas signals... there's write ups about that you can find here on AtariAge as well as other forums...

I successfully tested SDX 4.46? in AtariMAX flash cartridges several years ago to see if the later versions of SDX still supported the 800. I tested both 1Mb and 8Mb versions and recall having problems reflashing one of them afterwards.

8 hours ago, BillC said:

I successfully tested SDX 4.46? in AtariMAX flash cartridges several years ago to see if the later versions of SDX still supported the 800. I tested both 1Mb and 8Mb versions and recall having problems reflashing one of them afterwards.

We are talking about IDE/CF harddrive cartridges, not the 1Mb and 8Mb rom flashcarts.

Atarimax MyIDE 1 & 2 and SiDE 1 & 2. But The!Cart works too. But I thought the maxflash cartridges are a different story, sort of, MyIDE does have flash memory too...but I thought Maxflash carts worked in the 800 anyway.

I have MyIDE 2, The!Cart and 8Mb Maxflash cartridge, but I don't think I ever tried my Maxflash cart in my 800. My Maxflash cart has pretty much always been programmed with Space Harrier which won't run on an 800 anyway. And with The!Cart I've never needed to try it on my 800.

I got The!Cart and fixed my 800 so it would work. And never needed the Maxflash cart after that. MyIDE 2 still has a problem of fitting under the 800's door, and I would imagine Side 2 might have the same issue? I have my door power bypassed, but I don't care to leave the door open anyway, so I use The!Cart with the 800 and MyIDE 2 and Maxflash cart with my 1200XL.

Edited by Gunstar

I tested my brand new SIDE2 in my 800 the other day and it worked fine but for SDX giving the ERROR 179 at boot in response to the SIDE driver failing to load.  This error is 'memory contention'.  I'm adding 512k ram board to the machine which should allow the SIDE driver to load.  The SIDE loader works as well.  The only issue I ran across is that the cart is too tall to allow the hatch on the 800 to close.  I use a jeweler's screwdriver to wedge the hatch's power switch down to operate the 800 with this cart installed.  Just like I used to do in the old days with SDX with a cart attached to it's piggieback slot.

RSVP

YHOSvt.

** TNM **

• Like 1