IGNORED

Sealed in Bag drives me nuts

ntavio

It also has a silica gel bag inside to keep the moisture out. :P

This is how I keep all my games (loose or boxed) as it helps protect them. I recommend storing them in this manner to any collectors out there.

I don't get what the big problem is with what thenerb is doing. He's not misleading anyone into thinking they are getting a new game and if someone's willing to pay a little more for a game in a plastic bag, good for him for finding a way to squeeze a little extra cash out of a sale.

Hoarder, thanks for the support. Desiccants are definately the way to properly store games. So many collectors discount the damage that moisture can cause to games over time, espcially when moisture gets mixed with fine dust particles. At that point it all adheres to the circuits on the EPROMS, boards, etc and once the game gets some juice to it, shorts can be caused and damage the games.

Anyway, that's just me being a dork.

Oh, and people have asked, so here's the answer.

Where did I come up with the name "thenerb", well my name is Brent, that spelled backwards is "tnerb", you can figure out the rest. One of my friends came up with it 10 years ago or so and it just stuck.

Why bother using the word sealed in a search; I've never searched for anything using that as a search term. People actually look for things that have the word sealed in the title :?

Yes, we do.

Multiple personalities? :ponder:

Come on now, "we" is a correct response when the question asks about "people" in the plural. Including myself and Shawn Sr., that's two people right here. ("Here", of course, refers to our virtual presence on this message forum.)

If I had written "they" instead of "we", would I have received such a response?

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Why bother using the word sealed in a search; I've never searched for anything using that as a search term. People actually look for things that have the word sealed in the title :?

Yes, we do.

Come on now, "we" is a correct response when the question asks about "people". Including myself and Shawn Sr., that's two of us plural "people" right here. If I had written "they" instead of "we", would I have received such a response?

Ok, guys. :ponder:

I see your auctions all the time, but have great trouble reading them. I'm red-green color blind and it's extremely difficult to make out the words as they are in green. I often just skip your store all together because of that (my apologizes to anyone who has green for a favorite color). I thought you should know. :)

I see your auctions all the time, but have great trouble reading them. I'm red-green color blind and it's extremely difficult to make out the words as they are in green. I often just skip your store all together because of that (my apologizes to anyone who has green for a favorite color). I thought you should know. :)

I have actually heard comments like that before. Perhaps I will reconsider my color scheme. Thanks for your feedback. Green is certainly my favorite color, and I like the way it looks in my listings, but yes, it definately does make it harder to read sometimes.

I have actually heard comments like that before. Perhaps I will reconsider my color scheme. Thanks for your feedback. Green is certainly my favorite color, and I like the way it looks in my listings, but yes, it definately does make it harder to read sometimes.

Whatever you do is up to you of course. I'm glad though you at least considered changing it for us "color-disabled". :P

Yes, we do.

Come on now, "we" is a correct response when the question asks about "people". Including myself and Shawn Sr., that's two of us plural "people" right here. If I had written "they" instead of "we", would I have received such a response?

Ok, guys. :ponder:

:lolblue:

In fact, I have you blocked out of my searches for this very reason. Auctions that really goof around with the standard ebay colors & fonts or pack in a ton of flash objects just get on my last nerve.

I don't get what the big problem is with what thenerb is doing. He's not misleading anyone into thinking they are getting a new game and if someone's willing to pay a little more for a game in a plastic bag, good for him for finding a way to squeeze a little extra cash out of a sale.

Only thing that gets me pissy at all about it is when I think I have found in my search a "new" game and its just this guy and his "bagged" games. I get excited for a sweet bin of a game I'm after CIB or NIB and it turns out to be SIB. Just a pian in the ass when your trying to focus your search and this guys stuff comes up.

What I do when I encouter a seller that I want to adoid is add an exclusion to the search. Find some text that appears in all of the seller's auction pages -- like a full name or address line, or something like that, then add that to the search preceeded by a minus sign.

For example, if I wanted to exclude all auctions with the words "shawn sr" in them, then my search would look something like:

atari (sealed,cib,nib,new,boxed) -(flashback,"shawn sr.","electric quarter")

That would find me all the ones containing those nice keywords and exclude the stuff I don't want, like the flashback too.

Jerry

Just do a google search for a palette that is safe for the color blind. A lot of aging males are color blind, or are going color blind, or have a varying degree of color blindness.

Just do a google search for a palette that is safe for the color blind. A lot of aging males are color blind, or are going color blind, or have a varying degree of color blindness.

I think I might really consider changing the colors in my future listings. Question: is it just that I have the eBay page content in green (i.e. price, user ID, listing title, ebay links, header, etc), or does the actual description content of my listing severly bother you too (i.e. game descriptions, bidding terms, etc)

Is there a particular shade of green you guys can handle? Green is my favorite color, and is my theme color for the store and my brand and I don't want to vere too far away from it. Is the green on black like in the guts of the listing okay?

Let me know guys. Thanks! :)

I think I might really consider changing the colors in my future listings. Question: is it just that I have the eBay page content in green (i.e. price, user ID, listing title, ebay links, header, etc), or does the actual description content of my listing severly bother you too (i.e. game descriptions, bidding terms, etc)

Is there a particular shade of green you guys can handle? Green is my favorite color, and is my theme color for the store and my brand and I don't want to vere too far away from it. Is the green on black like in the guts of the listing okay?

I can tell you that for me it's simply the color scheme as I am blue-green color blind. Can't speak for the others, however. ;-)

mabye he should not put SIB in his auction title

I agree; I have never even heard of anyone using "SIB" for "Sealed In Box" or "Sealed In Bag" before, so I highly doubt that anyone uses it as a search term for those meanings. The closest I can think of is "MISB" for "Mint In Sealed Box", but even that one is rare - I would stick with the common terms "MIB" and "Sealed".

Regarding other abbreviations, "NIB" ("New In Box") may be a good one to use. "BNIB" ("Brand New In Box") is another rare one that I wouldn't bother using unless I had extra space to fill. For some collectibles, substitute "P" ("Package") instead of the final "B" for "Box"/"Bag" in any of these abbreviations. "CIB" ("Cartridge, Instructions and Box") may work for video game collectors but probably is not familiar to the casual buyers who don't even browse the fan sites - put it in the title when appropriate if there's room, but if not don't sweat it. One that's common for some other collectibles but not often for video games is "NOS" ("New Old Stock", sometimes seen as "ONS" = "Old New Stock" - means the same thing).

Probably the most useless terms to put in an auction title would be "rare", "scarce", "unique", etc., because these are the most over-used, abused, and flat-out wrong terms found all over eBay. Anyone using them in searches is likely a n00b, a fool, or both. On second thought, maybe it's a good idea to use them... :twisted:

Other terms I personally tend to avoid are the common grading terms: poor, fair, good, very good, fine, very fine, excellent, near mint, mint (along with their abbreviations and a few peculiar variations which are used in different ways by different collecting communities.) I have items in many different categories of collectibles and do not consider myself an expert in the intricate nuances of grading in any of them. Probably the two most abused terms in this category are "Mint" (including "Near Mint") and "Good". For most collectibles, Mint condition is a very seldom-found state, even for items factory sealed in undamaged packaging - minor production flaws abound. As far as I'm concerned, Mint should always mean "absolutely flawless", at least to the unaided eye, and for some collectibles such as coins and stamps, includes the use of magnification. "Good" is frequently misused in the opposite way - note that it's the third lowest of the nine common terms I listed. Many sellers write "Good" when they mean "average", and their items are often really Fine or better - calling an item "Good" is no help to one's final bid amount in such a case.

I am blue-green color blind.

I haven't heard of this one before - the more common form of color-blindness is "red-green", while one that's about 10 times rarer is "yellow-blue" (anyone unfortunate enough to have both forms would be totally color blind and see only in shades of gray). My mother carries the faulty gene that causes red-green color blindness, as did her mother. Because it's a sex-linked chromosome disorder, both of them have/had near-normal color vision thanks to the second copy of the gene on their other X chromosome. However, my mother's brother is red-green color blind and likes some rather odd color combinations (such as yellow and purple). My brother and I were fortunate not to have received the bad copy of the gene and we both have normal color vision.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I haven't heard of this one before - the more common form of color-blindness is "red-green", while one that's about 10 times rarer is "yellow-blue" (anyone unfortunate enough to have both forms would be totally color blind and see only in shades of gray). My mother carries the faulty gene that causes red-green color blindness, as did her mother. Because it's a sex-linked chromosome disorder, both of them have/had near-normal color vision thanks to the second copy of the gene on their other X chromosome. However, my mother's brother is red-green color blind and likes some rather odd color combinations (such as yellow and purple). My brother and I were fortunate not to have received the bad copy of the gene and we both have normal color vision.

I am quite color blind. I don't know what catigory of blindness I would be in but I see greens as greys and the spectrum of blue and red are messed up. Like purple is dark blue or what I see as orange is not orange but more red (or so I'm told...lol).

Edited by Shawn Sr.

When I look at the lime green you're using it's just a big blurry mess. I can only read your auctions an ant's mile away, and I have to put my face next to the screen to decipher anything. The only way I'll be able to read your auctions would be if you used a dark, dark green. This color starts to look black to me and I can read it. I could read your screen if was in eBay's color scheme a mile away. Blues have the most depth out of any color for me. :)

I can't see shades of blue or green. They look the same as a gray crayon to me. I can see red and yellow with no issues.

I can't see shades of blue or green. They look the same as a gray crayon to me. I can see red and yellow with no issues.

:ponder:

:sad:

greenblue.jpg

Well, I visited Wikipedia: Color blindness and learned that there are many forms of color blindness - at least 8 named, depending on which of the 3 cone cell types are affected and whether the affected receptors are completely missing, or whether their color sensitivity is shifted from normal.

It seems from his comments that sku_u is a protanopic (rare form of red-green color blindness); in spite of his description of being unable to distinguish blues from greens but distinguishing reds from yellows easily, this fits fairly well with the description of protanopia (absence of red-sensitive cones) at this site: Colour Blindness Tests.