IGNORED

What one machine do you covet?

Cassidy Nolen

If you had to pick one specific machine on earth, what would it be? For example, the Computer Space in Jaws or Soylent Green, the Tempest on Silver Spoons, etc or one at an arcade you grew up in.

I think for me it would be Al Alcorn's Pong from Andy Capp's. It really is the first step in the industry. Although CS predates it (as does the Odyssey and the Brown Box) this is the piece I see as pivotal in the life of arcades and their rise to fame.

Just thinking about it today....clearly the "work to the rule" day here is taking its toll on my interest to work!

Cassidy

Definitely the super rare Taito Space Invaders part 2. Not the Midway SI Deluxe, but rather the Taito version with the red background and blue moonbase. It can be the one I grew up with at the local mom&pop, or another one. I dont care.. but THAT'S what I want first.. after that, the usual games like a DK/Robo/Defender.

I'd also like a Major Havoc but I dont think the guys who own them are letting them go easily ;)

Edited by NE146

Well I think Cassidy was speaking of a SPECIFIC machine... not just a particular game, but a particular MACHINE.

With that in mind, I'd have to say I'd like the Star Fire from the arcade scene in Midnight Madness. (Or else the Fonz machine in the background in the same scene!)

Either that, or the Tempest machine in the Rush "Subdivisions" video! :)

Edit. Scratch Galaga. It'd have to be the Addams Family pinball machine I set the world record on in college. I usually averaged around 100,000,000 a game on that particular Addams Family machine, but on one fateful day, I broke the world record posted in the machine's memory and was given an 800 number and code. I called and to my shagrin someone had already beaten it elsewhere in the world, but it still meant alot to me.

Of course, Galaga would be a close second and the Cloak and Dagger game in the movie would have to be an even closer third. Those blueprints in the movie were badass. Too bad they weren't as good on the real game.

I'd like the Starfighter game from the movie The Last Starfighter. Sure, it's not a real game, it was pre-rendered footage and a fake cabinet, but movie magic brought it to life, so I would want to play that game on that arcade cabinet like it played in the movie.

Well I think Cassidy was speaking of a SPECIFIC machine... not just a particular game, but a particular MACHINE

I mentioned a particular machine.. but then again when you're talking about mass production items, it doesn't really matter to me for the most part. :)

BTW.. on that note of specifif machines, check out this Atari Arcade Classics prototype.. http://www.andysarcade.net/arcadeclassicsproto/

I have always wanted a Dragon's Lair machine. If we need to get specific, then one of the ones they used on Starcade that mesmerized me as a child. I know DL is a pain in the machine to maintain with the discs and all, but man that would be sweet.

The sit-down version of RoadBlasters. Took me two years to find one.

I second this..

I'm currently convincing the woman to let me upgrade the computer from pretty damn good.. to a nice ass computer, pretty much just to mame this machine..

anytime I have ever upgraded the computer.. the first thing I usually do is pluck in Stun runner and see if it works wortha damn..

I guess I want to add another one....

Speed Freak at the Six Flags over Texas "Gulch" arcade, circa 83-84. I remember that big vector cow staring out at me. That was the coolest thing I have ever seen. Still want one.

Funny story, I ended up talking on RGVAC back in like 98 to a tech that worked there during the time. Said it was the only Speed Freak he had ever seen either. Once they apparently had a huge rain storm and it flooded the park. The Environmental Discs of Tron literally got swept away by the water and was somewhere else in the park.....aah, I'm being chased by the MPU!

Cassidy

The sit-down version of RoadBlasters. Took me two years to find one.

Great Game, I still play that one in Mame. :) I made my first homebrew game based on RoadBlasters. If I had to pick the one machine I covet, though, it would have to be the sit down version of Star Wars. I lived in that game when I was 13. :D