IGNORED

7800 protective plastic: To peel or not to peel.

okto

I have a boxed complete 7800 that still has the protective plastic on the metal bits on both console and joysticks. It's starting to peel at the corners (and get a bit dingy on one of the sticks), and I'm trying to decide whether or not to peel the plastic off. I normally can't stand for the protective plastic to be on things for longer than it takes me to rip it off.

This is my primary 7800, so I'm sorely tempted to take the plastic off, but I wonder if it increases the resale/collector's value to keep it on, especially since it's a complete boxed set.

To peel or not to peel--that is the question.

Whether tis nobler for the eyes to suffer

The sheen and wrinkle of the ugly plastic,

Or take arms against a sea of polymers

And lower items' value. To sell, to keep--

No more...

• Like 1

Since it's already out of the box, and being played with, I'd say nuke it-- I don't think the plastic will mod the value at all.

However, if you are really, really, thinking this system should be your "collectible" one, then I agree with Lord Helmet-- put it away (unpeeled) in some closet, buried so deep that it'll make a cool vacuum "whoosh" noise when unearthed years later, and pick up a used secondary system "for playing". If I'm still in the loop, I don't think a full system will cost you more than $30 (though I have been outta the loop for awhile).

-John

Remove the plastic while you still have the option. Over time that plastic film with attach\corode it's self to the metal strip and leave a nasty yellowsh color on your metal stip of the console. I mean it is your system and all but if it's in that nice of shape no sense in letting time alone screw it up on you.

Remove the plastic while you still have the option. Over time that plastic film with attach\corode it's self to the metal strip and leave a nasty yellowsh color on your metal stip of the console. I mean it is your system and all but if it's in that nice of shape no sense in letting time alone screw it up on you.

Whoa, good to know. Thanks a lot for the info!