IGNORED

How durable are the slim PS2s?

Had mine since December of 04 and love it. I play a DVD in it almost every day and it is a very nice addition to my entertainment system. I will confess I am not a huge gamer on it but when I do play the anthology games on it I play for a few hours at a time.

Only run into a few DVD's it won't play properly (weird Anime stuff and I think its the disc formatting), otherwise stellar performance.

BTW, the power supply issue was not that big of a deal. Mine was not recalled but Sony came good on the ones that were.

Cassidy

Only run into a few DVD's it won't play properly (weird Anime stuff and I think its the disc formatting), otherwise stellar performance.

It's sort of the disk formatting. The disks are making use of features of the DVD programming language(I forgot the name of it) that the player software either doesn't support or doesn't implement properly.

While the PS2 is by far the most famous for this issue, due to both it's high profile and the incredibly first version of the player, it's hardly the only one. A LOT of early players had problems, and even recent models don't always work right with everything.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I had an older PS2 but it broke down so I was a little hesitant about the slim models but I do want a DVD player for the bedroom, I wouldn't mind playing my PS1 games I kept like Castlevania and FFT, and there's a few PS2 games I wouldn't mind picking up since my only modern console right now is a Gamecube and it's been slim pickings for it recently. Plus since I figure with all the problems Sony is having with the PS3 the PS2 will still likely get supported for a long time.

Ditto. I love my slimmie PS2, and I still don't have a DVD player--it works just fine. Definitely worth picking one up. I've had no reliability issues at all and I use it a lot. The network gaming is great, too--especially if you're into sports games.

I can vouch for mine. I've had it since Christmas of 2004. Even with the kids and their friends using it!

Edited by phaxda

im still waiting for a price drop

I hear that. My PS2 collection is screaming for a console but 150 clams seems just a tad high. It's been hovering at that price for way too long, IMHO. Show me a $99 price tag and I'll be all over it.

Jason

A lot of people complain about problems with the fatties, and I know mine's got tons of playing on the five games I've ever owned, plus it served faithfully as a DVD player for well over a year.

I think you can get a used fatty just under a hundred bucks. By now the ones that are going to have problems should have had them by now, and likely been pulled off of many used console shelves, or been repaired.

I can't vouch for the slim ones, except that if I had the choice, I'd prefer the fatty so that all the little odd and ends are still there.

im still waiting for a price drop

I hear that. My PS2 collection is screaming for a console but 150 clams seems just a tad high. It's been hovering at that price for way too long, IMHO. Show me a $99 price tag and I'll be all over it.

Jason

I doubt that we will see a $99.00 price until maybe 2007, if ever. The reason is that the PS2 still sells very well and with the advent of new consoles in the $400.00 and maybe up range, Sony has no incentive to reduce the price.