IGNORED

FB2 Joysticks

Maybe this has already been discussed, but has anybody noticed yet that the stick on the FB2 joysticks screws off? (No sick jokes, please.)

I discovered it over the weekend because I let my 3-year-old play with one of them while I was moving my cable modem, and when I looked over at him, he had it taken apart! :o :lol:

Maybe this has already been discussed, but has anybody noticed yet that the stick on the FB2 joysticks screws off? (No sick jokes, please.)

I discovered it over the weekend because I let my 3-year-old play with one of them while I was moving my cable modem, and when I looked over at him, he had it taken apart! :o :lol:

Yep, it screws off. Others have reported sticks that have snapped off at the point where they screw into the base (the stick is hollow), but I personally can't see that happening unless people are nailing them to the floor and kicking the sticks off.

Then again, I can't understand people who chew on the stick or tear off the boot (or both!), but apparently that happened all the time with the old CX-40s. I guess people like doing weird things with their joysticks (again, no sick jokes!) :P

I must be a lot rougher on FB2 Joysticks than a lot of people. I've busted at least two of them. It usually starts with little plastic tabs breaking off inside the stick base and rattling around. On one the stick snapped off at the attachment point, as mentioned above.

Yecccch ... :woozy:

On a more serious note, the unscrewable stick on the FB2 controllers opens up the possibility of third-party replacements. I'd love to see something like the old CBS "Booster Grip" add-on, which gave the original CX-40 an ergonomic grip handle and some extra fire buttons:

booster_grip.jpg

An updated version of this for the FB2 could be a one-piece handle that screws right into the base.

As one part of one of my mods (TRON meets atari 2600), I've built "custom" joysticks using the new FlashBack 2 joysticks as a base. I replaced the cable with a color-coded cable and built new fire buttons and joystick handles casted in clear blue or clear red with perl dye in it. The handles and buttons also light up.

tron31.jpgtron32.jpg

If you want to see the whole work-log, you can read it here.

You can also vist my webpage http://mods.xkill.net and click on "Current Project"

As one part of one of my mods (TRON meets atari 2600), I've built "custom" joysticks using the new FlashBack 2 joysticks as a base. I replaced the cable with a color-coded cable and built new fire buttons and joystick handles casted in clear blue or clear red with perl dye in it. The handles and buttons also light up.

tron31.jpgtron32.jpg

You can also vist my webpage http://mods.xkill.net and click on "Current Project"

Oh my that is so cool looking! Checking out your sites right now!

• 2 weeks later...
I must be a lot rougher on FB2 Joysticks than a lot of people. I've busted at least two of them. It usually starts with little plastic tabs breaking off inside the stick base and rattling around. On one the stick snapped off at the attachment point, as mentioned above.

Know the feeling, bro. The plastic tabs are going in my first FB2 stick, and they're breaking at a point where it's going to be a strain for any super glue to hold them on.

I've been known to break joysticks without hitting or tossing them. I've broken a Pelican PS2 stick and damaged my Driving Force wheel. Granted, I put a little extra force on them, but still, I was holding both of them in the normal position when I did it.

I do not have this problem with gamepads, but then again, gamepads just suck as it is.

• 1 month later...

tron31.jpgtron32.jpg

Oh my that is so cool looking! Checking out your sites right now!

Me likey!!! :lust: