In search of CommaVid's Video Life and other stuff

ajkiii

Paying top dollar for the following items:

Video Life cart by CommaVid + Instructions

Instruction manual to Cakewalk

Instruction manual to Stronghold

Instruction manual to Cosmic Swarm

Instruction manual to Rescue Terra 1

If you would like, you could check out my ebay feedback, Perfect - no negative feedbacks.

Ha! Good luck in that little endeavor. Most of those items are so rare you'll have a hard enough time finding someone who has them much less willing to give them up. I've seen Video Life twice in all my years of collecting and both times they were owned by people who had just about eveything and wouldn't give them up at any price. Neither of them had the instructions that went with it (although I think they have the manual typed up here).

If you find someone willing to part with their Video Life cart and your deal falls through, point them my way. I've always wanted to try and get one myself. That is one of the few carts I'd give a few prototypes up for.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Oops. It's MattyXB's fault, he asked! Now that the secret is out how about some screen shots?

Well, I suppose I can take some screenshots.

Video Life Screenshots

Those are straight from z26. Well, okay I had to modify them since Video Life flickers like crazy and you only get half of the data in the main portion of the screen when you take a screenshot. What a pain!

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

I don't know, he got it dumped at the CGE. I imagine he'll relese it once it's working.

Shhhhhhhhhh! That was supposed to be a secret until we release it! We do now have it working, but we're going to wait to release it until a version of z26 is released that automatically recognizes it (this will hopefully happen soon).

..Al

Think about it this way. Would you rather buy a car that worked but wasent totally perfect and could have simple problems froma broken stereo to severe problems like an oil pump busting while you drive down the road... or would you want to wait a little longer on a car that works great with no problems?

Maybe you understand where i am coming from. Bascially Al is waiting on the next z26 not to make everyone wait so he can see us suffer, but to make sure we get the best gaming experiance we can get.

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: liquid_sky ]

Bascially Al is waiting on the next z26 not to make everyone wait so he can see us suffer, but to make sure we get the best gaming experiance we can get  

It's Video Life... By Commavid... Exactly what kind of gaming experiance were you expecting? The Game of Life is kinda dull to begin with (although I've always had a certain fascination with it), it's not like it's the great game we've all been missing.

Tempest

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: Tempest ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

If it works the same as Magicard and it works with the current Z26, then why not release it now?

Scott,

The current release of z26 (or any other 2600 emu for that matter) will not autodetect the game correctly, so it will not work unless you use a command line option. The next version of z26 will autodetect it. So to avoid countless people asking why it doesn't work (even if we make it clear), we would prefer to release it with a version of z26 that supports it natively. It should be soon. I've been trying to get this dumped for 2 years, I can wait a few more weeks to do it properly.

quote:

No need to wait - it's on the Digital Press site!

Tempest is right though, I doubt anyone will mind much that emulators don't auto-recognize it. It's not something that will appeal to very many people.

We just released a 2K version of Video Life that runs properly in the latest version of z26 that was just released. The reason we waited to release Video Life was that we were working with the z26 authors to ensure that people would be able to run Video Life without having to muck around with command-line switches. The 4K version also does not take advantage of z26's RAM randomization routine, so every time you start that version of Video Life you'll see what was in the contents of the PC's memory that dumped the cart. The 2K version we released will show random data each time in the main window before the data is cleared. This is truer to how the real cart operates, since the contents of Video Life's 1K RAM can be different every time the power is switched on.

..Al

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Albert ]

>>The 4K version also does not take advantage of z26's RAM randomization routine, so every time you start that version of Video Life you'll see what was in the contents of the PC's memory that dumped the cart. The 2K version we released will show random data each time in the main window before the data is cleared.

>>

I honestly don't see any difference between the two versions, other than your version auto-runs with the new Z26. Both start up with a screen full of "garbage", which is immediately wiped clear, and then the title screen appears.

quote:

I honestly don't see any difference between the two versions, other than your version auto-runs with the new Z26. Both start up with a screen full of "garbage", which is immediately wiped clear, and then the title screen appears.

The difference is that the 4K version starts with the *same* screen of garbage every time you start it, whereas this garbage is random every time you start the game with the 2K version. The first 2K in the 4K version contains a fixed image of whatever the dumper managed to read when dumping the cart, and this is what is displayed every time you start the 4K version of the game (technically only the first 1K of RAM is read as that's all the memory the Video Life cart contained).

..Al

You can't be serious. What difference does that possibly make? Whatever... I'd hate to think that's a reason why you didn't release it sooner.

Either way, it's an impressive program for being only 2K, and pretty fast (for its time), but I doubt it will see much use from anyone now- not when you can download free PC versions like Life32.

No Scott, that isn't the only reason. The first reason is to have an emulator that autodetects the game properly. The day we were notified that the new z26 was released, we released the game. Maybe you would know how to run z26 from a command line, but most people don't.

The second is to release a version that emulates the game as accurately as possible. Why rush an imperfect version when a few weeks can improve it? Like I said, I've been asking publicly for this ROM for 3 years (just went back and checked Google) - we finally get it at CGE and we should not wait two weeks to make sure it runs as accurately and smoothly as possible?

Did it really bother you so much that we held on to it for two weeks just so that we could release it under the best conditions? You are correct that most people won't be interested since it isn't a traditional game, but since the ROM will be around for years to come and will be downloaded by thousands of people, I think we made the right decision. Why release something that isn't as good as it can be?

>>that isn't the only reason. The first reason is to have an emulator that autodetects the game properly. The day we were notified that the new z26 was released, we released the game.

>>

I realize that. That's why I said "A" reason, not "the only" reason.

>>Did it really bother you so much that we held on to it for two weeks just so that we could release it under the best conditions?

>>

Not at all. The point I'm trying to get across is that not all the emulators auto-detect like Z26, and not everyone uses Z26, so why hold up releasing it *just* for Z26? The game program itself isn't going to change.

I just can't believe that you would spend time making the start-up "garbage" randomize. Emulation isn't perfect to begin with....and never will be. If anyone is that picky about it (not being random), they'd probably be happier using a real cart and system anyway, but it obviously bothered you that much to alter the ROM. Like I said, whatever. If you want to take the time to do that- great! But how many people will appreciate the difference in something like that?

Besides, it's not an actual game but a (extremely dated) simulation, and as such, it won't be seeing any serious use from anyone these days. I highly doubt "thousands" of people will be downloading it. It certainly wasn't a big seller 20 years ago We may like to think the hobby is that popular, but if even 100 people download it, it will only be to complete their ROM collection.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

Maybe you would know how to run z26 from a command line, but most people don't.

Is it really *that* complicated? Didn't the previous version of Z26 come with instructions? Maybe I'm just BRILLIANT but it only took a few moments of my time to figure out how to load it.