IGNORED

Most incredible FB2 Mod

Love this:

The first problem was that, basically, I shorted 3.3V to ground and caused the atari MB to smoke and pop. Interesting - some of the circuit traces actually lifted off the MB completely.

And now, I just did the same thing again (in a different part of the mod). This time I actually saw flames shoot up from the power supply!

I like the joysticks, but the case is a little unimaginitive. Using that gigantic PC case just for a Flashback 2 seems a little stupid to me. He should design, sculpt, and mold his own case design out of epoxy (classic 2600 shaped, of course), with LED lighting all through it to make it glow Tron-like, and then i'd be impressed. A boring PC case doesn't impress me. Anyone could have done that. They probably couldn't have done the joysticks, though. Those are a nice touch.

Actually, this is my mod - thanks for the kind words Curt! The mod isn't done yet, but it's still in progress. I've been spending some time on a non-Atari mod and that's drawn my attention away from this mod but I will get back to it shortly. When it's finished I'll post something here.

As for a basic PC case, well, it's not really just a PC case. It will have sound-reactive light meter, some UV lighting, and lightcycles (of course). The whole idea is that it's TRON on the inside with all the glowy stuff but strict, corporate ENCOM on the ourside.

Plus, after all these years of modding away from the boring beige box I got a bit of perverse pleasure modding something that was never beige or boring into a beige box! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have bad news and good news.

The bad news is that the mod suffered antoher setback. All was going well, the only think left was to actually mod the FB2 to attach the cartidge ports and paint up a couple light cycles. In attaching a my third wire to one of the solder points, i accidentally lifted and broke off the solder pad.

[FYI, this does not mean I hadn't modded the FB2 before that. Even to get to this point, I had to attach another plate for mounting a slightly more distant screw hole to support the FB2 motherboard and also had to install headers to attach nearly all the switches and joystick ports. In other words, dozens of solder points even BEFORE attempting the cart port]

I went back to the walmart I originally got the FB2 at and got another - but it was a rev B. All my designs planned on a rev A (yes, those differences could be a pain, and the different size of the board actually matters as well).

The good news is that I've decided to redo the mod with a rev B board. Only one real pain I found so far - the difficulty switches use the GND connection from the video rather than a dedicated GND line. Kinda a pain, but I think I've worked around it. I've spent about 4 hours tonight bringing the rev B board to where I can mount it in the case and try it out (without the cart port). Basically, I'm at the point I was last night except I haven't tested it yet - I'll save that for tomorrow night.

Well, the project is really coming along now! I finally got all the cart port wires hooked up and it works!

Just a few things left here... I just have to adjust the length of the cart port / internal games switch (I can't believe it - it's about 4mm short... ARGH!) and then some minor TRON theme pieces (got to finish painting some lightcycles - I'm about 1/3 done or so) and it's ready for the final pics.

I have to admit - it was kinda cool to watch the UV LEDs bounce in relation to the game sounds, the UV internal light bouncing off all the "TRON" lettering inside the case, two lighted TRON joysticks, and a lighted TRON deadly discs cart in the cart port. :cool:

Awesome mod. And I am a huge TRON fan too (thus where the "Clu" came from in my name sometime in 1984 when I first got on BBS's) ;)

I always thought it was from the game Clu Clu Land! :D

I was "Clu" long before they stuttered my name. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words.

As for the cart slot, anything is possible but it would have required fabricating a stable base for the carts further into the case - a difficult task at best. Reallty, looking at it in person it just looks "right" and pretty professional as it it... (IMHO)...

encom01.jpgencom02.jpg