IGNORED

Planet Bob - SID2TIA V1.5

RSS Bot

Hi there!

Phew... only ~ 3 years or so since the last update.

Originally I had planned to only tweak the output some to be prepared for my soon-to-be TSM4 driver, but during the last two days I had so much fun toying with the source, that by now I turned almost everything upside down, except the 6510/C64/SID emulation core. Funny thing is, that while adding features I managed to shrink the exe to 68K ;)

Ok, while most of the changes are under the hood, there's still a couple of other features I added:

1. Smartmixing

Phew... that's the most complicated to describe. So far I implemented it only for mixing two channels. Normal priority mixing of two channels so far always had the channel with the higher priority winning. Smartmixing now tries to catch as many keystrokes as possible. So whenever a new key was hit on one of the channels, it'll go into the mix. Only when both channels have a new key at the same time, the priority channel will win... Phew... I bet nobody understood that now, right? :twisted: Ok, examples:

CODEFor example, two channels like this:

SQUARE_H5 SILENT

SQUARE_H5 SILENT

SILENT LEAD_E3_2

SILENT LEAD_E3_2

SQUARE_H5 SAW_E2_1

SQUARE_H5 SAW_E2_1

SQUARE_H5 LEAD_E3_2

SQUARE_H5 LEAD_E3_2

Normal mix, prio one will result in:

SQUARE_H5

SQUARE_H5

LEAD_E3_2

LEAD_E3_2

SQUARE_H5

SQUARE_H5

SQUARE_H5

SQUARE_H5

See, channel one will always win, except where it's silent.

Smart mix, prio one will result in:

SQUARE_H5

SQUARE_H5

LEAD_E3_2

LEAD_E3_2

SQUARE_H5

SQUARE_H5

LEAD_E3_2

LEAD_E3_2

So, again SILENT will always "lose". First 4 notes are always the same.

Then two strokes at once are won by channel one.

But then: Only a stroke at channel 2! Channel 2 wins this!

Hm... ok, if that still didn't make any sense: Don't worry. Just toy with the possibilites, get a feeling for it and do what sounds best to you :lol:

2. TSM4 output

Well, a future option. It'll output both channels one under the other. As is, the data is so far unusable. It'll make more sense once TSM4 is written and a bunch of WORD Macros ;)

3. Removed half the instruments

Well, after 3 years of practical usage, I never found any tune sounding good with the "noises", so I simplified the filters.

4. Key transposition

Hey, this is my favourite of the new features! I should've done that years ago, as it's been very easy to implement and also works pretty cool:

Now you can individually transpose any of the three SID channels 1-2 keys up or down.

Ok, still no "public" release, no manual, no enduser support, no source, no garanties.

For an explanation of older features, please query "SID2TIA" in the [stella] archive.

sid2tia.zip

Greetings,

Manuel

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...&showentry=1385