IGNORED

Chronogamer - 1978 Album 56k beware

RSS Bot

Lots of pictures, thought I'd make it its own entry.

Here are the participants that took, what, 6 months to play through? They seem like such tiny piles . . .

blog-1571-1143342677_thumb.jpg

Here we have the 1978 Atari VCS family with their enlightened 7800-only cousin from the future and the underused but kinda cool keyboard controllers. The Cuttle Cart 2, for those who don't know, is really cool, and I used it to play games on Atari hardware for which I no longer have the original carts.

blog-1571-1143342775_thumb.jpg

Here's my little APF family. I included the manual, Cartridge Club card and catalog sheet just to make the picture more interesting. If it ain't here, I couldn't play it. Except for Brickdown / Shooting Gallery, which was there, it just didn't work. There are emulators out there for this, but I've found no ROMS.

blog-1571-1143342711_thumb.jpg

This is the Bally Professional Arcade console with its 1978 progeny. If it ain't here, I tried it on MESS. BTW, that Red Baron cart is dead, but its appearance would lead someone to think otherwise. Oh, also notice my butt-ugly homebrew Bally controller frankensteined from Atari controllers. It's not only ugly, it's a pain in the ass to use, too. :)

blog-1571-1143342815_thumb.jpg

Here's the Bally Box. Notice the arcade cabs on the front. There's Sea Wolf. See it on the left? Ya can't take that home on a cart! From Sea Wolf we see Tornado Baseball, 280Zzzap, Checkmate, and Gun Fight. I thought this picture was interesting because you can see they were selling two levels of experience here. They were trying to get across that playing the home system was like playing the games in the arcade. By putting costumed persons next to the games (at least the Sailor and the Umpire) they were trying to sell the idea that playing these games was like doing whatever it was those games were pretending to do. Something else to notice is the huge age range of the players at the cabinets. Back in 1978, they were trying to get everybody to play videogames. Young and old, regardless of gender, were part of the target demo. Of course, all types play games now, too, they're just divided up into console gamers, pc gamers, MMORPG gamers and casual gamers.

blog-1571-1143342851_thumb.jpg

Hey! I do have the instructions for Video Whizball, afterall. I'll have to type them in some day. If I had remembered I had them when I wrote Whizball's entry I wouldn't have gone all apeshit in making up a backstory for it.

blog-1571-1143342897_thumb.jpg

I think the Odyssey^2 boxes are purty. Odyssey and Odyssey^2 did a really nice job staying consistent with their box designs. Notice on the bottom right, the wonderful Odyssey^2 Multi-cart. What a wonderful thing.

blog-1571-1143342926_thumb.jpg

Here's the first "Ultimate" System! Can YOU name every "Ultimate" system there's been?

Next entry, I'll try to show the "Unplayed, but not forgotten" for 1978.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...&showentry=1387