IGNORED

Buildings & Tip Over - 2 little games for Lynx

Fadest

Hello,

I had some time yesterday to spend on Lynx programming, but not enough to work on my existing games, so I decided to make this little crappy thing.

I first saw this kind of problems in french Tangente Jeux & Stratégie magazine.

You have to fill a grid of nxn with numbers from 1 to n.

In each row, you can only have each number 1 time (yes, like in sudoku...)

In each column, you can only have each number 1 time (yes, like in sudoku...)

The gris is empty, but you have indicators. Imagine all numbers are size of a building. A building 4 is higher than a building 2.

Each indicator gives you the number of buildings a spectator would see if he looks in this direction

For example, for a line 1 2 4 3 5

The spectator on the left side would see 4 buildings (the building 3 is hidden by building 4).

The spectator on the right side would see only 1 building (the building 5 hides all the others).

There is 3 mode of playing : Easy (4x4 grids), Medium (5x5 grids) and Hard (6x6 grids)

The blue numbers are the number of buiding currently saw, to help you.

If you put 2 buildings of the same size in one line or row, they will be display in red (-> error)

Each game is different from the precedent (randomly generated). There is at least one solution (but probably more than one). You can see the grid which was used to generate level by pressing Option 1 (press a button to return to game).

The game is not polished, colors are not well choosen (especially for playing on real Lynx), there is no graphics (only text), no music, no way to leave a game...

Hey, this is just on ly a couple of hour of work (with the biggest part on level generator, I tried to make something too hard at the beginning).

But it works :D

Edit : new version with improved 3D isometric view attached

Edit : new version with new "numbered" view : http://fadest.free.fr/MiniJeux/buildings/building.o

Tip Over : http://fadest.free.fr/MiniJeux/tipover/tipover.o

Edited by Fadest

I spend some times yesterday on graphics issue (remember, I'm not a graphist...) and representation.

I mean, this is not really easy to display this kind of game with height, so I used a 3D isometric view :

building2.gif

Of course, only one point of view is not really useable, so Option 1 and Option 2 are used to rotate the level. Button A & B are still used to up and down the buidings.

The pause button is used to select the kind of representation (3D iso or old numbered style) and display the solution.

And yes : still no music, but ABCMusic is really easy to add, but really noisy on Handy, so I allways put it at the end of the development...

See 1st post for downloading the new version

Edited by Fadest

Hello Fadest!

I think the 3D-graphics would be a great improvement for your game. :-)

I had tried out the last version (in easy mode), but i am not a fan of

looking at a grid of numbers, so a more graphical representation

of the puzzle would get me more interested ;-)

Best regards

Matthias

Hello Matthias,

Yes, you're right. Did you tried the last version (posted today at 11:00 AM) ?

Because, this one used the 3D iso representation (like in the screen shot).

The graphics are still ugly and the visibility is not very good. Maybe I will spend more time on this if there is enough interest from people, but only when all my others games will be polished, because, now, this is the hard work which remains...

Hello Matthias,

Yes, you're right. Did you tried the last version (posted today at 11:00 AM) ?

Because, this one used the 3D iso representation (like in the screen shot).

The graphics are still ugly and the visibility is not very good. Maybe I will spend more time on this if there is enough interest from people, but only when all my others games will be polished, because, now, this is the hard work which remains...

No, sorry, i tried it yesterday or the day before.

And i didn't see the update of your first posting, had expected a new link in the second posting with the iso-graphic-screenshot.

But now i have downloaded and tested (in Handy) the new version:

The new iso-graphics-engine works well (so far), but i don't think that the "buildings" need an antenna ;-)

Changing the viewing angle does work basically, also switching the representation (Iso <-> grid of numbers),

but changing the viewing angles and going from Isometric to grid-display irritated the engine,

the cursor-frame was shown not on the building which was influenced by A+B.

Keep up the good work!

Matthias

Edited by Matthias

Oops...

Yes, some bugs appears in the new 3D iso view.

Thanks to qwerty who sent me a "concept screen", I modify the "numbered" view with a à la Shangai view :

Download new version at : http://fadest.free.fr/MiniJeux/buildings/building.o

building3.gif

And I took half an hour to make a little Tip Over game (only 3 challenges) :

http://fadest.free.fr/MiniJeux/tipover/tipover.o

A screenshot (quite similar to buildings) :

tipover.gif

You are the pseudo man in red and yellow and have to go to the red cross.

You can only climb on buildings and make them fall

(more levels are available on line on Binary Arts website)

Edited by Fadest

These are 2 cool little games - I'm impressed!

They are already fun to play, so just need gfx upgraded to full screen, music, ?title screen?, ?animation?, and sound effects.

If you need to, you can make the playfield taller than the Lynx screen, and then scroll up/down a bit if required.

Nice.

- jum