IGNORED

Aussie 2600 collector

rheffera

hey all, i am a australian ' 2600 collector.

have been collecting for many years and only just discovered your site.

However sadly the only finds worth mentioning(from the wild, not Ebay) are:

Gas hog(Spectravision)

Polaris(NTSC,Normal pic label)

Marine wars(And manual)(Konami)

Pooyan(Konami)

My Golf(HES)(Complete)

pac-kong(Rainbow Vision)

curtiss(Rainbow vision)

Wall Defender(HES)

In fact the two australian chains that sell 2600 games commercialy are Gametraders and cash converters.

Cash converters's prices are stable around $5au a game.However the stock is as they buy, so the supply is unstable.

Gametraders are far more stable but prices fluctuate wildly, from 2.50$au to 15$au.

Also, Games like Cosmic Ark,or Pac-man(Crappy conversion) are uncommon here,(From what i have seen) with HES and Rainbow Vision Items bieng more of a common find.

About 6 months ago i saw my first frogger and pac-man in the wild. Both were labeld RARE ITEM in a gametraders store and they wanted 25$au a piece, i declined. And only this month did i buy a frogger and a pac-man at $5au.

What i am trying to say is some games are still common here as they are in the US, Bezerk, Barnstorming, Space invaders, missle command are common here, but not a large amount of commons. I am having extreme difficulty getting a Miner 2049er I let alone a II.

So what part of Aus are you from? I can name many places to pick this stuff up for next to nothing. Getting rare stuff is still a matter of luck though, common stuff can be found in the wild if you know where to go.

welcome to AA

Hey rheffera, if you haven't already you might want to check

Retrogames Oz

...but be warned - they don't seem to know the difference between 2600, 7800, Intellivision and Colecovision carts, so occassionally you'll get something unexpected.

Rheffera, you mentioned in another post that you'd heard about an Atari convention early next year in Melbourne. Do you know if that's actually an Atari exhibition, or just a "current corporate face of Atari" exhibition? If it's the former I'll be there. And early in the new year too, the only time when the Melbourne weather is tolerable...!

On the rarities front, have you used the PAL rarities database?

PAL database

It's more accurate than the Atariage database, but there are still some Aussie anomalies. Just to annoy any non-Aussies reading, it's hard not to find Wall Defender, Asterix and Xonox double-enders here!

hey...i was just looking at ebay, and noticed someone bidding on some games i am interested in. Their id is...dark aleph, is that the same person here??

Rheffera...i live in Paradise, we should keep in contact. Do you go to garage sales in the area?

Welcome, rheffera.

If you're interested in Australian carts, I think you might want to check out the Rainbow Vision (Suntek) list:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67975&hl=

Also check out Atarimania: http://www.atarimania.com/index.php

It has the largest Atari 2600 database in the world.

BTW: take good care of that Curtiss cart.

8)

Im from Sydney, but living in Brisbane. Alot of relatives live in Adelaide so ive done the Adelaide thrift shops and markets a few time.

Markets kick ass in Sydney, they are ok here except theres too many ppl getting on the ebay band wagon, ie, buy cart for $1 at market/thriftshop, sell on ebay at a marked up cost.

Nice too see there are some aussie collectors around, If any of you guys want to do any trades? or interested in this show in Melbourne? Lemme know

Hey rheffera, if you haven't already you might want to check

Retrogames Oz

...but be warned - they don't seem to know the difference between 2600, 7800, Intellivision and Colecovision carts, so occassionally you'll get something unexpected.

Those retrogame guys started a store in the Marrickville mall near where i lived in Sydney. Had an awesome collection of stuff in there and i did alot of buying and a small amount of selling there.

I recomend them, prices can be a bit steep on 2600 stuff, the plus is that they are really good to deal with and generally have a huge stock of stuff.

Theres also a guy who sells at cabolture markets every now and then, he used to have a store in Glebe Sydney,, freaked when i saw him 100 k's away

hey...i was just looking at ebay, and noticed someone bidding on some games i am interested in. Their id is...dark aleph, is that the same person here??

Dammit Weezle! You've gone and blown my (completely nonexistent) cover! May the highest bidder win...

... theres too many ppl getting on the ebay band wagon...

Which is fine by me, as I'm not a market-goer. Hopefully over time the stallholders will realise they can cut out the middleman and sell their carts for $1 on ebay! But the satisfaction of rescuing lonely, unwanted carts from the unforgiving 32-bit wilderness will never be the same.

Glad to see some Aussies here, particularly others new to Atariage like me. I wouldn't call myself a 'collector' yet, still more of an 'enthusiast'. But Atariage is seriously wearing down my resistance... I don't have anything for trade yet, as any duplicate carts I get go into my sister's collection. But when I start to get triplicates, I'll let you know.

Bring on Melbourne 2007! But judging from the above responses, they should be holding the thing in Brisbane or Adelaide, where the fans are.

'had a good run today,

Dragster(activision)

Keystone Kapers(activision)

Mega Fun Pak(H.E.S)

Smash Hit Pak(H.E.S)

Midnight Magic(Atari)

Desert Falcon(Atari)

Sports Pak (Sctivision)

got em all for the low price of $2 apiece

'had a good run today,

Dragster(activision)

Keystone Kapers(activision)

Mega Fun Pak(H.E.S)

Smash Hit Pak(H.E.S)

Midnight Magic(Atari)

Desert Falcon(Atari)

Sports Pak (Sctivision)

got em all for the low price of $2 apiece

I guess that meens your a collector now, Nice haul. Desert falcon is one of my favorites, excellent title on the 2600 or 7800.

Re ePay, You may well find the ebay bandwagon to be a real pain in the ass, Things like "Ultra rare Pacman" bug me. Guess i don't like outsiders interfering,,,,,,,,,

Enjoy your new games

I will. Keystione Kapers is ZFun, and yes im a collector.

Keystone has without doubt stood the test of time, It fits into the classic category no questions asked. When your done with that, try Desert Falcon for a bit. I cant think of any other 2600 title with "powerups"