IGNORED

Repairing a Computer case

Rockin' Kat

This qualifies as a "hardware" topic right? rksmile.gif

I recently picked up a very nice hardly discolored 128k Mac with keyboard for $23 locally. It was a bit dirty.... there was one other thing though... the original bastard owner GOUGED his Washington State ID number right into the case accross the top above the CRT with some sort of heat rod!

At first I was thinking about trying to find a replacement front bezel, but it's not going very quickly, so I just went ahead and cleaned the Mac up as is.... and then I got to thinking and decided to file the area that had been gouged so there was no plastic sticking out beyond the surface, just the indentation left, just to make it a little less glaring.

Now though I'm wondering... if maybe I could fill it in with some sort of epoxy and paint over the area where the ID was melted in to just make it go away. A friend of mine suggested maybe some hobby epoxy or maybe some sort of plastic "filler" agent....

I was just wondering anyone here has ever done something like this and maybe would have something to add?

Pictures from when I first picked it up can be found on my particles.org 128k thread.

128kclean.jpg

128ktagfiled.jpg

What kinda dork does that right on the front of the thing.

Well, you can see his Washington State drivers license number... for a few bucks you could probably find out, and track him/her down. Whatever the case, it is a real dork that does that at all, because it's an entierly useless means of keeping things from being stolen.

On other notes, I botched it, I totally botched it. rksad.gif I got epoxy at a hardware store, mixed it, tried to apply it and just made a sticky mess.... before I could get it off it got real sticky and hard.... so I had to break out the chemicals and ended up with bits of the finish flaking off the front bezel just below the spot I was trying to work on. This sucks.

So.. now pretty much my only option as far as I'm conserned is to just try to find a replacement bezel, which so far I have gotten no replies. Man.... I swear whenever I try to figure out how to do something like this, it never ever seems to end up working out right at all.

AHHGGG!!

Edited by SuperPsycho

Well I do inscribe my DL number to the bottom bracket of both the kid's bikes -- In the far-fetched hope that if its stolen the police or pawnshop will see the number and find me. It's not noticable, though, unless you flip the bike over.

I suppose its just wishful thinking though, as my younger daughter has had two bikes stolen last year and even with the serial number and my DL number the police haven't found them.