IGNORED

Maker Faire in San Mateo

phaxda

A message from Dale Dougherty (dale@oreilly.com) Editor & Publisher, Make (www.makezine.com). If you haven't seen Make, it's pretty cool!

Maker Faire is coming up April 22-23 at the San Mateo Fairgrounds. It promises to be an unusually interesting event, part science fair, part craft fair, part county fair.

I myself can't believe all the things we will have at the Faire: a flying Pterosaur replica, a flock of whale blimps, a giant painting machine, DIY RFID implants, model rocketry, breadboarding, trailer-glass blowing, welding workshops off the back of fire truck, pinhole photography, soldering, spud gun building, bubble machines and a bubble guy that appeared on Johnny Carson in the 70's, biodiesel, electric cars, a Linux supercomputer cluster running on veggie oil, neon art, circuit bending, VJs, slide rules, the Phenomenauts, Satan's Calliope .... and much, much more. Quite an eclectic collection. That's not to mention the fifty craft booths in Bizarre Bazaar and the Swap-o-Rama-Rama.

Our sponsors include Microsoft (ha-ha!), Yahoo, Geek Squad, Parallax, Robot Magazine, Hobby Engineering, and others.

For those of you outside California, I know that it is impractical for you to join us but I wanted to include you on this message, nonetheless. I wish you could join us. Wish us luck. I expect us to have as many as 10,000 people in two days. And maybe more...

If you near there, check it out. Sounds like they'll have some cool stuff.