IGNORED

Death of a TAC2 controller! Replacment needed!

rheffera

After 20 years of faithful hardcore gaming on many 2600 machines and a commodore 64 and a 128d, my suncom Tac2 controller has finally started to die(the right side no longer responds properly.) I must say suncom knew how to build a quality joystick. I would open it up to see whats wrong, but suncom used a wierd bolt to hold it together.

I need a replacment controller, does anyone have a spare controller they would be willing to trade/sell?

Of course, Donations are Welcome :D

I dont want to miss out on a day of '2600 gaming.

Please Help!

I have never used the Tac 2, but I've heard enough to agree with you on their quality. I'm a 'Wico Bat' gamer, myself. If you want to tear into the stick on your own, I'm betting Suncom used the same screws on the tac 2 as they did on the 'slik stick'. If that's the case, it's just a #2 robinsin-head (the screwdrivers are available at any good hardware store). 8)

If not, I know a place that could repair it for you, if you were willing to go the postage. :jango:

%90 of all broken controllers just need to be cleaned. Unless the stick is physically broken, you should be able to just clean some contacts.

I'll also agree that the tac 2 and slik stick are the best of the best. I just got both a couple of months back and I use them exclusively now.

With a TAC-2 and the symptom you describe, my guess would be a loose internal connection (probably a simple fix) or bad plug (possibly fixable if it's just a loose contact) or broken wire in the cable (not so easy, and you need another cable).

As Starhopper said, the screws should be #2 Robinson (or "square drive"), drivers for which are becoming easier to find these days. Larger hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, OSH, etc. carry them.

I saw one recently at GW but passed, as I don't like their feel in my hand.

Also, I had a bad experience with a Suncom drawing tablet (Animation Station, I think) for the Apple II series. It just seemed cheaply made and very inaccurate when compared to the Koala drawing tablet. However, overall, they were both big dissapointments.

• 3 years later...

all the other directions on the TAC2 are fine, just the "right" position that fails to respond quickley..it responds..but too slowly and i end up losing a life :)

It just needs a cleaning. After all these years it probably has some oxidization on the contact plate inside. You could check the wiring too. The mechanism inside is very easy to work with.

As Starhopper said, the screws should be #2 Robinson (or "square drive"), drivers for which are becoming easier to find these days. Larger hardware stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, OSH, etc. carry them.

As a Canadian, I must point out that it's called a Robertson head screw. I say as a Canadian because it was invented by a Canadian. Insert square Canuck jokes here.

Back on topic, TAC-2 is my favourite joystick in my collection. I've had for many years problem free as well. Good luck getting it back up and running properly again.

• Like 1

I had 3 of the Tac-2's that I picked up from a local "computers for kids" yard sale a few months back. One doesn't move right but I figured it might be an easy fix I haven't gotten around to yet, one I kept and the other went to Jboypacman. Very nice sticks but like others have said, I prefer the Wico sticks myself.

• 1 year later...

This old thread inspired me to fix my Suncom Starfighter (like the Slik Stik but without the ball top). The joystick didn't work and neither did the button. This one requires a square-head screwdriver as well, except I needed the #1 size, not #2. Turns out that there was a lot of corrosion on the joystick contacts, which I cleaned off with a pencil eraser and some isopropyl alcohol. The fire button uses a brass washer to make contact, and the washer was badly corroded. I had to use Tarn-X to get it clean, but now everything works great. I love the way these Suncom sticks are built.

I really want one of these sticks. I have a Slik Stik but the stick is too short for my tastes, and the button is too small. I'm looking for a Tac-2, but there are hardly any on eBay. Does anyone have for sale or trade? I'll trade 2 slik stiks for 2 tac-2 joysticks.

I have one Tac-2 for sale. Not looking for trades though. Ask boxpressed, he bought my other Tac-2 :D

This old thread inspired me to fix my Suncom Starfighter (like the Slik Stik but without the ball top). The joystick didn't work and neither did the button. This one requires a square-head screwdriver as well, except I needed the #1 size, not #2. Turns out that there was a lot of corrosion on the joystick contacts, which I cleaned off with a pencil eraser and some isopropyl alcohol. The fire button uses a brass washer to make contact, and the washer was badly corroded. I had to use Tarn-X to get it clean, but now everything works great. I love the way these Suncom sticks are built.

The #1 Robertson, I affectionately call the "green robby". For example, I might say, "Pass me the green robby, eh".

I really want one of these sticks. I have a Slik Stik but the stick is too short for my tastes, and the button is too small. I'm looking for a Tac-2, but there are hardly any on eBay. Does anyone have for sale or trade? I'll trade 2 slik stiks for 2 tac-2 joysticks.

I have one Tac-2 for sale. Not looking for trades though. Ask boxpressed, he bought my other Tac-2 :D

Yes, nice transaction with disjaukifa. I really like both sticks and am about to get rid of my Wico bat. The Tac 2 is about 25% larger, so your preference might depend on how big your hands are. I like the button size on the Tac 2 and the stick on the Starfighter.