IGNORED

7800 Crossbow

7800Lover

• 5 weeks later...

Loved Crossbow in the arcade and on the Atari. Despite comments to the contrary, I think the 2600 is a great port, and I prefer it over the 7800 version. But then again, I am a 2600 bigot, and I prefer most games on the VCS with their beautiful blocky graphics.

The light gun for the 7800 Crossbow gets a nod of approval.

• 8 years later...

When I bought my 7800 a few months back I picked up Crossbow at the same time, remembering how much I liked the 2600 version so many years before. On booting it seemed to work, sort of, but the graphics were all garbled. I took it back and got a replacement (the guy seems to be breeding them under the counter) only to find it had exactly the same problem. Has anyone else had a problem with 7800 Crossbow along these lines? The console and cartridge connectors are shiny clean and no amount of adjustment or positioning seems to have helped. I haven't had a problem with one single other of the stack of 7800 games. Is this a common problem or have I just been massively unlucky?

Cheers all.

I recently got a pal version of Crossbow and have exactly the same problem on my PAL Atari 7800. As soon as you switch the console on it shows a broken screen, then pressing the button it shows the initial screen that seems ok, and when the first stage starts the graphics are all messed up. Despite the messed up graphics the game can proceed but it's unplayable. I have also a NTSC cart and it doesnt have this problem but it looks very bad on a PAL console due to the different image frequence.

Does anyone know if that is a common problem of the PAL version of Crossbow?

Thanks, Roadrunner. I'll have to remember that. Green, Blue, Blue, Red...

that path only works the first time through. On the next sets it changes. I loved this game when I was younger and had it for my 7800. Hell...look at my user name. Anyway, I used to know the quickest paths to the evil master for like the first 4 or 5 rounds bitd. I need to check out the XE version sometime I guess since I do own the XE light gun and have a 130xe...

• Like 1

I love Crossbow - the arcade game is awesome, and the 7800 and XE versions are also both a blast. It's in my 7800 HOF - I forget where I ranked it, but somewhere in the top 5.

I think I got to the wizard once, but I've never beaten him. I'll have to try again using G,B,B,R.... usually I loop around for a while and stumble my way into the castle.

I've only ever beaten Crossbow on the Apple IIe and only because it plays a bit slower than other versions which means you actually have time to get the target across the screen and still have to shoot whatever was attacking your guy. On most other platforms it's just too fast (even the 2600!). Same way I actually beat Arkanoid, the Apple II version was a little slower.