IGNORED

Just a bit different mod.

My modded FB2..

FB2 Front

FB2 Back

If you look in the first image i moved the cart slot over a hair so that i could fit in a internal powersupply. I found a 300ma 9v supply instead of the 200ma one just for a bit more juice. It was the same size as the FB2 one so i just stripped the case down and made a small mount to hold it in the inside. I added the power kill switch and the power plug connector to keep the power managable. The switch on the bottom is for the stereo mod that I'll get to when Curt post up the info on the tap points. He gave me the heads up that they do exist and when he gets time again he'll see about getting them posted up for people to use. So just getting a bit ahead for it when it happens. :)

-Drewman21

Man, congrats on a sweet mod! Nicely done! Question: What did you use to cut the Cartridge Port slot? A dremel with a router bit like most people say to use? The cut is so clean I noticed you aren't even using a Cartridge Guide to cover it up! Very nice work!

I would also like to know how the cuts were made. I have heard people suggest a Dremel. Every time in the past that I have tried to use a Dremel to cut plastic, it has looked like crap. The plastic heats up during the cutting, and you don't end up with a clean edge.

The cuts in the photo look incredibly clean. RORYSL is right -- the cuts are so good that the cartridge guide isn't even needed to give it the nice cosmetic look. I wonder if a small scroll saw or band saw was used?

Thanks guys!

BTW I am useing a Ryobi style dremel tool. I have burnt out two dremels in my modding and in my college art classes years so far :sad: . I went and got the Ryobi and it is like a contractor's grade one and has really held up for many years.

The few things i do for clean cuts are this:

I take and measure out the cut and score or put a deep grove into the outside of the plastic case. It should be deep but you won't be able to cut all the way though. This will give you a guide to dremel too so you won't cut into the clean cut you have made.

I take a drill with a 1/8" or so bit and I drill out to the inside of my cut all the way around so i have a punch out of where i want to dremel. This gives you a huge starting hole to dremel in which makes it EASIER to work with. Also it makes it less to grind out for you.

Then i trim out the rest of the snaggies with a exacto knife after dremmeling. I trim as much, as straight as I can up to the grove i have made. You have to know when to stop on this one as you can trim off to much and then your SOL. Go slow you won't regret it.

The last thing is use a fine file, emery board, fingernail file to level off and round your edges a bit till they are smooth and flat where you want them to be. Then I just use a heat gun just for a sec to melt to smooth over any tool marks or scuffs that may have occured in the cutting( allways happens to me) :roll:

But i guess the one thing that you asked about is the melting of the plastic with a dremel. Yes it can do it, and yes it happens to me all the time. The first thing is make sure you have new sharp bits. If you use them alot they will dull and dull blades create more heat that will melt the plastic. The second thing is turn down your dremel to the slowest level it will go. Get a multi speed one and use the first setting. I have never used the highest setting on mine because it gets way too out of control. Then slowly bite into what you are cutting just tapping it into what you want to cut out of the way. If you hold the dremel into the plastic for long periods of time it will start to melt and if long enough burn on you. Burn plastic stinks. (Just a heads up on that) I have burnt wood to the point of smoldering so it can happen so be careful!

I hope that helps abit. If you have any questions please let me know. Always glad to help!

Drewman21

I take and measure out the cut and score or put a deep grove into the outside of the plastic case. It should be deep but you won't be able to cut all the way though. This will give you a guide to dremel too so you won't cut into the clean cut you have made.

I take a drill with a 1/8" or so bit and I drill out to the inside of my cut all the way around so i have a punch out of where i want to dremel. This gives you a huge starting hole to dremel in which makes it EASIER to work with. Also it makes it less to grind out for you.

Then i trim out the rest of the snaggies with a exacto knife after dremmeling. I trim as much, as straight as I can up to the grove i have made. You have to know when to stop on this one as you can trim off to much and then your SOL. Go slow you won't regret it.

Drewman21

Hmm.. Thanks Drewman - that helps a lot! Couple questions!

1) What do you use to score the groove you use as a guide?

2) How hard was drilling the punch-out hole? Any danger of the plastic case cracking?

3) Ok, so let me get the steps straight. Cut or score a groove marking the shape of the cartridge port hole you want to make. Then drill inside that groove to make a hole to dremel in. Dremel the hole out bit by bit until you have removed the inside of your original cartridge port hole shape. Then exacto the edges to make it smooth.

Am I following you correctly? Just want to make sure!! Thanks for all your help. You should consider putting up a guide for the case mod portion -- all the guides cover the internal modifications REALLY well but very few cover the case mod in detail!

Thanks a bunch!