IGNORED

Dragon's Adventure

vmelvin69

Since i have been played adventure and its hacks. I think of adventure hack which you are dragon to stop the square from bring Chalice to golden castle. how to win the game is eating the square. lose the game is touch sword to die or fail to stop the square to bring chalice to the golden castle. the best thing is guard the chalice and wait for the square unless it bring the sword with it. how does dragons get in castle when the game starts. i need someone to teach me how to create hack so i can fix it. I like adventure hacks Nukey Shay created. i am new here.

Since i have been played adventure and its hacks. I think of adventure hack which you are dragon to stop the square from bring Chalice to golden castle. how to win the game is eating the square. lose the game is touch sword to die or fail to stop the square to bring chalice to the golden castle. the best thing is guard the chalice and wait for the square unless it bring the sword with it. how does dragons get in castle when the game starts. i need someone to teach me how to create hack so i can fix it. I like adventure hacks Nukey Shay created. i am new here.

Hello and welcome to the forum, you will find lots of posts on AA on how to hack and or program games, it's not easy to learn (atleast not for me) but the best place to start is with simple graphics changes using a bit hacking tool like HACK-O-MATIC II or Bit Hacker than start using distella and dasm to make color changes but to change functionality you will need to learn Assembly language programming and trust me it's not easy I have read several books on the topic and am still lost. If you are looking for the Hacking tools and other tools please visit my website Salem Frost Games and go to the "Links" page.

Have Fun,

Tim

What you are suggesting is quite a different game than Adventure (so a hack of the existing game would be pretty complex). The player is a square in Adventure because the existing game display kernal is only set up to display a single pixel representing the player character (this is an independant object called the "ball" sprite)...and all collision routines expect it to be that sprite. In order to alter it into an 8-bit graphic such as a dragon, the program would need to use one of the 2 8-bit sprites instead (which are already overtaxed displaying other objects). In addition, the hardware collision registers would no longer be possible to use, so the routines would need to be rewritten completely. Entering a castle though it's gate, for example, is only possible when it's displayed.

That's the easy part.

Then, additional AI would need to be added to control the "enemy square" movement. The existing AI isn't very complex...the dragons and bat simply continue to move in a straight line - only deviating when an object that they like/fear more exists on the same screen. To work in the motions needed to collect and return the chalise, something like a lookup table would need to be used to determine which direction the square should move for each screen/circumstance (such as evading the dragon whether or not a chalise is carried).

I'm not gonna say it would be impossible, but it would be extremely difficult...I'd suggest a concept a bit easier for an introductory project.

hmm, i think it is diffcult to move a dragon. i think of something which the black bat turns to be invsibile like you created adventure_hell featuring invsibile dragon. i guess the invisbile bat is tougher than the invisble dragon because it is hard to carch it carrying item.

If it is sucessful, it is called Invisible Bat Adventure.

I think of another hack where the square is invisible so the dragon can't see it. we may add another item which keeps the square invisbile like harry potter uses invisible cloak. it is perfect to be add, but it is similar to the shield which the dragons can't eat the square.

nukey, i want to do to creat my own adventure because it is my favorite all time. i played all hack from you. identure is not allowed to download because my new computer dont have ms dos...

hmm, i think it is diffcult to move a dragon.
I'm not sure what you mean by this...the dragon is a sprite object just like the player. The difference is that the player is using the ball sprite that only allows 1 pixel. So moving an 8-bit sprite is not much of a problem compared to having the program handle an 8-bit sprite as the player (because a good deal of program routines would need to be rewritten).

i think of something which the black bat turns to be invsibile like you created adventure_hell featuring invsibile dragon. i guess the invisbile bat is tougher than the invisble dragon because it is hard to carch it carrying item.

If it is sucessful, it is called Invisible Bat Adventure.

Actually, the object being carried would give away it's position ;) But this could easily be accomplished by changing it's color to grey to match the background (then it would only be visible when it crosses walls). Erasing it's bitmaps would cause the collision registers to not work correctly.

I think of another hack where the square is invisible so the dragon can't see it. we may add another item which keeps the square invisbile like harry potter uses invisible cloak. it is perfect to be add, but it is similar to the shield which the dragons can't eat the square.
Very easy...just alter the dragon matrix so that it fears a particular item (like the yellow dragon fears the yellow key). But in order to get the dragon to ignore the player when a certian item is held, the routine would need to be altered (I dunno offhand, but I think it's in the "move_game_object" routine). Adding a CMP or two to check for certain objects should do the trick.

nukey, i want to do to creat my own adventure because it is my favorite all time. i played all hack from you. identure is not allowed to download because my new computer dont have ms dos...
Have you tried "Dos Box" and running it in that?

IMO Indenture is a pretty cool game the first few times you play it...but it loses a lot of replay value by being just so darn HUGE (so that the only challenge is in mapping out the game...there's too many screens for the dragons to offer much of a hassle). That's one of the reasons I gave up on the 8k hack (besides the fact that Tony made a much better 8k hack).

But anyway, use AA's search box to look for the word "optimized", and a number of threads will come up with disassemblies to play around with (the "Turning Adventure into an 8k game..." disassembly has tons of free space/ram to work with...and a lot of examples of program additions).

Edited by Nukey Shay

The task just needs to be broken down into small steps. Take a look in the area of the program that deals with reading the dragon matrix. Compares are done there to see if the object held is a sword (and if a difficulty switch is in the "A" position, NOT to ignore it...therefore not fearing the sword). A similar bit of code can be added there for any object you come up with (and the thread I mentioned shows exactly what needs to be altered to add additional objects). The way it could be handled is just with a "2-step" branch...first checking if the current compared object is the one you wish to assign the function to (and branch out if not), then checking to see if it's held by the player (and branching if not). Once that's done, just set the dragon's "delta" (move speed) to zero. I can't really go into detail any better (currently), because my net access is really limited at the moment :sad:

Edited by Nukey Shay

That's one of the reasons I gave up on the 8k hack (besides the fact that Tony made a much better 8k hack).
I had help from Master Nukey... ;)
Where would I find Tony's 8k hack?
Try here for the latest demo version (which doesn't work properly on real hardware, but I fixed that problem). Believe it or not, I'm still working on it incognito after almost two years...