IGNORED

newbie: easy way to transfer data from PC to ST

Hello I know that there are some topics with those of questions

but being a newbie, I looked at them and didnt understand a lot

so I have my own questions

before buying a 1040 St

I would like to know

if there is an easy way to transfer ST games from the PC to Atari 1040 St?

when I mean easy , it is on two levels

on the hardware: not too many different cables or plugs

on the software: not having to convert the st games files to 20 different formats

like when u use the xl games via SIO2PC

thanks for your help

there is no easy SIO2PC style connection to the ST.

It's genuinely a pain in the ass. You have to use double density 3.5" floppy disks and programs that take ST disk images and put them on disks.

I'm too lazy to look for any software for you, but I'm sharing with you what your real only cheap, easy-ish option is.

Until NetUSBee is released and we can all connect our ST's to our LAN routers and/or connect some form of cheap USB memory stick, there's only the above slow routes available.

If you've got HDDriver and a Jaz drive then, in theory, you could dump a load of games onto the Jaz via your PC and then unMSA them on your ST back to disks.

I'll let you know about the Jaz option when I finally figure out why my SCSI box won't recognise it :(

Hello I know that there are some topics with those of questions

but being a newbie, I looked at them and didnt understand a lot

so I have my own questions

before buying a 1040 St

I would like to know

if there is an easy way to transfer ST games from the PC to Atari 1040 St?

when I mean easy , it is on two levels

on the hardware: not too many different cables or plugs

on the software: not having to convert the st games files to 20 different formats

like when u use the xl games via SIO2PC

thanks for your help

Easiest way for me (I use Linux here, when not on my beloved Atari's) is too just burn everything I need/want on CD. Then I just use my CD on whichever Atari I'm transferring it to, to read the data/info.

This of course, requires that you have a CD setup on your Atari.

I do, DVDr in my Falcon, CDR in my Mega ST. Makes it very fast and easy. :)

there is no easy SIO2PC style connection to the ST.

Yes and no...

For transfering data from PC to ST you can use:

1. Ghost Link - using simply nullmodem cable;

2. PARPC - for LPT cable;

3. Using disks formatted for 720KB

Good luck ;)

I've been using option 3. There's a program for formatting Atari ST disks on the PC and it works like a charm.

Tempest

What we need is APE for the ST! [hint, hint] :ponder: :D

I’d love it, but it has quite some complications.

Unless you are (un)lucky to have an ST without an internal drive, it isn’t really possible without a small hardware mod. The internal drive is always enabled as drive A. You can make however, if you want, a SIO2PC interface that would operate as the external drive (which again, will be drive B if the computer it is an STf model).

You can’t use a simple RS-232 conversion. You need some kind of microcontroller based device.

I guess that eventually we’ll have such a thing. But most people would prefer something similar that would simulate a hard drive, and not a floppy drive. It might be even simpler and cheaper than a floppy emulator. Actually somebody mentioned he started working on something like this, but I haven’t seen any news about this for quite some time.

Unless you are (un)lucky to have an ST without an internal drive, it isn’t really possible without a small hardware mod. The internal drive is always enabled as drive A. You can make however, if you want, a SIO2PC interface that would operate as the external drive (which again, will be drive B if the computer it is an STf model).

That's OK with me, I'd glady put in an internal mod to disable the internal floppy if it was necessary.

I guess that eventually we’ll have such a thing. But most people would prefer something similar that would simulate a hard drive, and not a floppy drive. It might be even simpler and cheaper than a floppy emulator.

The last thing I need is something that simulates an ST hard drive. Then I'd have tons of games on floppy that I can't install to a "virtual" HD just like my real one! :lol: :P

I know an "ST APE" would need to be more than a serial cable - something along the lines of The SVD maybe (which works quite nicely by the way!)

Edited by remowilliams