IGNORED

C64 -> Atari 2600 port #03

Cybergoth

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these C64 classics would you like to see on the 2600?

• Bruce Lee
    • Castles of Doctor Creep
    • Dropzone
    • Falcon Patrol II
    • High Noon
    • Impossible Mission
    • Jet Set Willy
    • Lazy Jones
    • One On One: Julius Erving and Larry Bird
    • Park Patrol

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'd love to see Park Patrol and Bruce Lee but they might prove a bit difficult. One on One would be possible (actually it's already been done, sort of, as Double Dunk), and I think High Noon would be as well. Between those two, High Noon gets my vote. Hopefully the flicker wouldn't be too bad.

C64 Dropzone is a port of the Atari original.

But it's a moot point because DZ is basically a Defender clone, and lord knows the 2600 has enough of those already.

I didn't just draw my vote out of thin air. I voted for Dropzone becuase there are other Defender clones on the 2600, which suggests that it could be very possible to port it. The origin system doesn't change the fact that Dropzone never appeared on the 2600. Just becuase it's another Defender clone doesn't mean it shouldn't be ported. Dropzone is one of the best Defender clones out there and an excellent game in its own right.

Edited by BrianC

i vote for park patrol :-) all the classic activision games should be on the 2600. like zone ranger, that sci fi future one with a spider looking character u control whose name i forget, zenji, etc.

Interesting enough, most/all of the 1984 non-2600 Activision titles for the C64 were made by ex-programmers from "Sirius Software". Is there any confirmed info if Activision assimilated Sirius sometime in 83/84?

BTW: Web Dimension?

id be interested to know if the synapse thing was true, synapse made some true classic games.

Sirius, not Synapse.

Tony Ngo did Bandits and Squish'em for Sirius before Park Patrol.

The guy who wrote the C64 port of Pastfinder did Blade of Blackpoole for Sirius.

The programmer of Zone Ranger did Repton for Sirius.

And don't there exists a 2600 version of Turmoil or Fast Eddie from Activision?

Get over yourself, drama queen. We're talking about the game, not you.

...I admit I jumped the gun a bit, but that was still uncalled for. The second comment was probably just a joke anyway, hence the winking similie.

Edited by BrianC

I voted for Dropzone as well. ;) I think it is a nice variant of Defender and I'd like to see what a programmer could do with it today. (Look at what Alex Herbert did with Protector!)

The only other two on the list that I can remember playing are Jet Set Willy and Impossible Mission. I don't really care much for either of those games.

:ponder: This is probably stretching it a bit, but I'd like to see someone attempt a port of Mayhem in Monsterland. :D

This is probably stretching it a bit, but I'd like to see someone attempt a port of Mayhem in Monsterland.

If Super Mario Bros would be a bit far-fetched, I think Mayhem in Monsterland would be even more so. It pushes a bit of limits on the unexpanded C64 as it is.

• 1 month later...

Regarding the Sirius thing... Levy's book Hackers mentions that Sirius was one of the casualties of the game crash, having overinvested in 2600 (via 20th Century Games) and 8-bit computers that quickly faded (Vic-20, etc). Chances are the programmers mentioned above were either freelancers, or were free to move on after Sirius's demise. (If we were to assume that continuity of programmers indicated a company was purchased by another, then the fact that Sirius's founder, Nasir Gebelli, ended up being a cocreator of the Final Fantasy series at Squaresoft should send everyone into a tizzy...)

David Lubar's been around; he's a former writer for Creative Computing (1979 on), was responsible for the first attempt at laserdisc gaming (CC's "Rollercoaster"), and was involved in one of the recent Frogger spin-offs.

• 1 month later...
id be interested to know if the synapse thing was true, synapse made some true classic games.

Sirius, not Synapse.

Tony Ngo did Bandits and Squish'em for Sirius before Park Patrol.

The guy who wrote the C64 port of Pastfinder did Blade of Blackpoole for Sirius.

The programmer of Zone Ranger did Repton for Sirius.

And don't there exists a 2600 version of Turmoil or Fast Eddie from Activision?

YES!!!! Squish'em was a darn good game, I think it would be excellent on 2600 maybe spider man or crazy climber could be converted to Squish'em?

Wade