IGNORED

In Development: Asteroids clone

Sheddy, what's up with Space Harrier XE?

well...

it's moving along, slowly. I do keep changing how things are done in my code though, which doesn't help either...

back on topic:

Zone Ranger has a fantastic sprite engine, but maybe not best suited to this game?

the sprites aren't solid, so only the outline needs to be done, which could speed things up over the ZR method.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update on the latest progress:

What's new:

--------------

* Title screen/attract mode

* High score display/Enter Initials screen

* Asteroids can now move in 16 different directions

* Addition of smaller alien ship

To do:

-------

* Two player support

* Options screen to set:

- The number of points to earn an extra ship

- Auto-fire on/off (hold down trigger as opposed to having to hit the trigger for each shot)

- Action when stick is pressed down (flip, shield, or hyperspace)

* Sound

* Timing issues (game speed ups/slow downs)

* 5200 Port

I've attached a video to show the latest progress. I had to pretty much die quickly in an effort to keep the video as short as possible. It starts off at a high level so that I can test conditions with more asteroids on the screen. This is why the smaller alien ship appears more frequently (the higher the level the greater the chance the alien will be the small one). You'll notice that the background "stars" sometimes cause some of the text to have holes in them (because of the EOR'ing). This is another thing I need to fix. The to do list is far from complete as there are a number of things in need of tweaking. Still, all in all I'd like to think it's starting to look decent.

-tjb

rastvid.zip

Thanks for all the kind words. I originally posted the topic under the 8-bit forum and one of the moderators moved it here. It's true that there doesn't seem to be much traffic here. It could simply be that there is not alot of interest in yet another Asteroids clone. It's also not listed in the under development area here at AtariAge.

-tjb

imho the do not watch this forum fast enough compared to the regular 8bit forum.

I agree - just check out the Diablo look-alike thread in the 8-bit forum.

Anyhow - keep up the good work on the game - I'm certainly interested in a finished version.

Stephen Anderson

this is looking good. If you do a 5200 conversion, I'll want a copy for sure :cool:

Thanks. :) It just occurred to me that the 5200 version could allow the player to use flip, hyperspace, or shield at any time (as opposed to having to choose one as an option) thanks to the additional buttons available on the joystick. Does anyone know off hand if the official Atari version allows this? Do you think this would be ok? Would it deviate too much from the arcade version? Come to think of it the arcade version had no flip. Shields were only in Asteroids Deluxe. I'm also not sure if in Deluxe you could use hyperspace as well as shields. Personally I'm not too concerned with staying close to the Arcade version. My aim was to provide something that looked/felt a bit more like an arcade game. Thoughts?

-tjb

this is looking good. If you do a 5200 conversion, I'll want a copy for sure :cool:

Thanks. :) It just occurred to me that the 5200 version could allow the player to use flip, hyperspace, or shield at any time (as opposed to having to choose one as an option) thanks to the additional buttons available on the joystick. Does anyone know off hand if the official Atari version allows this? Do you think this would be ok? Would it deviate too much from the arcade version? Come to think of it the arcade version had no flip. Shields were only in Asteroids Deluxe. I'm also not sure if in Deluxe you could use hyperspace as well as shields. Personally I'm not too concerned with staying close to the Arcade version. My aim was to provide something that looked/felt a bit more like an arcade game. Thoughts?

-tjb

It would be nice to be able to configure the buttons instead of having static assignments. This would accomodate users of the Redemption 5200. It would also allow users to set one fire button as fire and the other one as hyperspace, flip, or shield (depending on personal preference).

-tjb

-tjb

I'd like to see a sort of "Asteroids Collection" Where option 1 would be Asteroids, 2 Would be Asteroids Deluxe, and 3 could be something like Asteroids Remix with flipping, sheilds, hyperspace etc.

On that note, it would be event cooler if you did Space Duel as well...man, I'm making myself drool.

The 800 version only allows one flip/shield/hyperspace/null option at once.

You could implement all 3 - back=shield, fire+back=flip, space=hyperspace.

It would also be great if shield worked like the arcade - bouncing off objects instead of just being a cloak.

An energy level system like Blasteroids would also be good.

Edited by Rybags

-tjb

I'd like to see a sort of "Asteroids Collection" Where option 1 would be Asteroids, 2 Would be Asteroids Deluxe, and 3 could be something like Asteroids Remix with flipping, sheilds, hyperspace etc.

On that note, it would be event cooler if you did Space Duel as well...man, I'm making myself drool.

I think your "Asteroids Collection" idea might be doable. I think Space Duel you be cool as well. I like vector based games. I was thinking of doing a port of the Vectrex game Armor...Attack after this one. It's a simple premise I know but I like it.

The 800 version only allows one flip/shield/hyperspace/null option at once.

You could implement all 3 - back=shield, fire+back=flip, space=hyperspace.

It would also be great if shield worked like the arcade - bouncing off objects instead of just being a cloak.

An energy level system like Blasteroids would also be good.

The shield will definitely do the bounce thing. I didn't really like the cloak effect. When you say energy level system do you mean for the shield?

With the "energy level" I was referring to a system where instead of dying, you just had energy drain when shot or colliding.

So, colliding with an asteroid could generate a bounce like if you had shields on.

Power ups appear from time to time. Maybe grant partial recharges at point intervals as well.

If you have MAME, check out Blasteroids (Atari's late 80's sequel to Asteroids). You might pick up a few ideas from it.

It was also available on the ST and Amiga.

Just for grins...this is my first attempt at a label. I tried to do a 2600/5200 style label, while still using 400/800 style colors...I have a Hi-rez copy if you like it :)

I like it. It looks good. I think I'd like to stick with the name Rasteroids to avoid possible legal issues.

-tjb

Just for grins...this is my first attempt at a label. I tried to do a 2600/5200 style label, while still using 400/800 style colors...I have a Hi-rez copy if you like it :)

I like it. It looks good. I think I'd like to stick with the name Rasteroids to avoid possible legal issues.

-tjb

Done!

I also put together a couple of other labels just for fun. One is an XE style, the other a 400/800 box style :)

post-5880-1155913857_thumb.jpg

post-5880-1155913869_thumb.jpg

post-5880-1155913875_thumb.jpg

-tjb

Done!

I also put together a couple of other labels just for fun. One is an XE style, the other a 400/800 box style :)

Hmm, I think I'm partial to the one in the middle the most. I like the older style. I have to admit that I like the logo on the last one the best with the rainbow stripe and Atari with the 400/800 vertical.