IGNORED

unhappy mode utility?

gtkakega

Sorry for being a bit late…

I don’t recall such an utility in file binary form. Most people just use the Happy software. May be there is one, but anyway it is trivial to make it yourself if you want.

Note that there are three different unhappy levels: Slow mode, de-programmed mode (what Happy actually calls Unhappy), Happy-to-1050 ROM "translation".

Sorry for being a bit late…

I don’t recall such an utility in file binary form. Most people just use the Happy software. May be there is one, but anyway it is trivial to make it yourself if you want.

Note that there are three different unhappy levels: Slow mode, de-programmed mode (what Happy actually calls Unhappy), Happy-to-1050 ROM "translation".

The reason I'm asking is because my Happy 1050 is giving me errors when I try and write to a disk. Device timeout error I think. Anyways, if I use the Happy software to switch the drive to unhappy mode then the problem does not repeat itself. I can write just fine in sd/dd using unhappy mode. Not sure why. But it's a pain having to load the happy software everytime I want to switch to unhappy mode because the default on the drive is happy mode. Is there an SIO command to switch it to unhappy mode?

The reason I'm asking is because my Happy 1050 is giving me errors when I try and write to a disk...I can write just fine in sd/dd using unhappy mode.

This is probably because you are using high speed I/O (Sparta) combined with unbuffered writes. That combination doesn't work and produces writes erros.

First do the following test to confirm this is the problem: Boot the happy utilities. Turn on fast writes. Boot your normal setup and see if writes now work ok (you should hear that writing now is much faster).

• 1 month later...
Anyone have a small SpartaDOS/MyDOS utility that will turn off happy mode on a Happy 1050 drive?

I have an utility that I wrote that is call "HAPPY.COM" that has all the happy stuff in it.. Fast buffering on and off. it also has a section in it that will reprogram your happy drive to think it is a usdoubler drive and then you can use ultra-speed sector skew.. send me an e-mail and I will send it to you.

"sjcarden@bellsouth.net"

Well,

I have a disk with various programs for the Happy 1050 drive (most of them self-written by Happy drive users)... if interested just e-mail me to: amp at abbuc point de

Besides, I also collected many utilities for other drive upgrades and speeders (like Speedy, US-Doubler, Turbo, XF). If there is a good website to upload them, let me know... -Andreas Magenheimer.

Well,

I have a disk with various programs for the Happy 1050 drive (most of them self-written by Happy drive users)... if interested just e-mail me to: amp at abbuc point de

Besides, I also collected many utilities for other drive upgrades and speeders (like Speedy, US-Doubler, Turbo, XF). If there is a good website to upload them, let me know... -Andreas Magenheimer.

ok,, be fore doing this make sure you have mac/65 and a basic understanding of machine language. This message is intended to show any one how to write a small program to make the 1050 happy do certaint things.

;

; Code Written By Stephen J. Carden

;e-mail 'sjcarden@bellsouth.net'

;

*=$5000 ; org the program here

start:

lda #$31

sta $0300

lda #$01 ; drive 1 = $01 drive 2= $02 >>>> drive 8 = $08

sta $0301

lda #$48

sta $0302

lda #$00

sta $0306

lda #$00

sta $0303

sta $0304

sta $0305

sta $0307

sta $0308

sta $0309

jmp fastwrite ; can sub to other routines

rts ; exit clean

; this will restore the Happy controler

crestore:

lda #$18

sta $030a

lda #$00

sta $030b

jmp $e459

; if you have a happy controler this will protect drive

cprotect:

lda #$18

sta $030a

lda #$10

sta $030b

jmp $e459

; if you have a happy controler this will unprotect drive

cwrite:

lda #$18

sta $030a

lda #$08

sta $030b

jmp $e459

; this will init the drive

init:

lda #$03

sta $030a

lda #$00

sta $030b

jmp $e459

;

;turns fast write on

fastwrite:

lda #$20

sta $030a

lda #$00

sta $030b

jmp $e459

; make the drive unhappy

unhappy:

lda #$e0

sta $030a

lda #$e0

sta $030b

jmp $e459

cprotect:

cwrite:

Very nice stuff. But please note that these two might not work. It depends on how the controller is jumpered.

cprotect:

cwrite:

Very nice stuff. But please note that these two might not work. It depends on how the controller is jumpered.

they work will all my happy 1050, But I guess there is always a version I do not have.. the happy I use are orginal one's from happy computers. If you are trying to use this code and a remake of a happy board I have no idea if it would completely work. But good info never the less. If you send me an e-mail address I will send you an atr of all the code I have been working on.

e-mail 'sjcarden@bellsouth.net'

Steve

the happy I use are orginal one's from happy computers. If you are trying to use this code and a remake of a happy board I have no idea if it would completely work

I am talking about original boards from HCI. AFAIK, no Happy clone included the controller circuit. So this is probably not relevant for clones at all.

they work will all my happy 1050

Yes, and I guess it will work for most people, because it will with the default factory configuration. The default configuration is that software can override the hardware (switch) settings. But there is an alternate configuration of jumpers that will not let the software to override the switch position.

The jumpers are not populated. You must solder (or cut a trace, don't remember). It is all described in the Controller manual.

Edited by ijor

• 17 years later...
On 6/18/2006 at 6:36 AM, Stephen J. Carden said:

ok,, be fore doing this make sure you have mac/65 and a basic understanding of machine language. This message is intended to show any one how to write a small program to make the 1050 happy do certaint things.

;

; Code Written By Stephen J. Carden

;e-mail 'sjcarden@bellsouth.net'

;

*=$5000 ; org the program here

start:

lda #$31

sta $0300

lda #$01 ; drive 1 = $01 drive 2= $02 >>>> drive 8 = $08

sta $0301

lda #$48

sta $0302

lda #$00

sta $0306

lda #$00

sta $0303

sta $0304

sta $0305

sta $0307

sta $0308

sta $0309

jmp fastwrite ; can sub to other routines

rts ; exit clean

; this will restore the Happy controler

crestore:

lda #$18

sta $030a

lda #$00

sta $030b

jmp $e459

cprotect:

lda #$18

sta $030a

lda #$10

sta $030b

jmp $e459

cwrite:

lda #$18

sta $030a

lda #$08

sta $030b

jmp $e459

; this will init the drive

init:

lda #$03

sta $030a

lda #$00

sta $030b

jmp $e459

;

;turns fast write on

fastwrite:

lda #$20

sta $030a

lda #$00

sta $030b

jmp $e459

; make the drive unhappy

unhappy:

lda #$e0

sta $030a

lda #$e0

sta $030b

jmp $e459

Here is a small basic program that sets the drive to Unhappy mode, based on Stephen's code. Tested with Atarimax Happy Board and Archon I (skew protection). ATR is attached for convenience. 

10 FOR I=768 TO 779

20 READ X:POKE I,X:NEXT I

30 X=USR(ADR("hhh[*]LY[d]"))      NOTE - Characters in brackets are INVERSE!

100 DATA 49,1,72,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,224,224

20230917_100948.jpg

Unhappy(b).ATR

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1