IGNORED

Nothing but a purple screen!

StanJr

My front loader NES used to work, not well, but it worked (common front loader problem). Now every time I put in a game and turn it on, all I get is a flashing purple screen. the LED light on the power flashes too as if there is not a game inserted (but there is!).

In a bold venture, I have take the blasted thing apart. I've cleaned all the contacts, etc. and tried to work on the spring loader mechanism for the cart carriage. But this has not helped (I hooked up the naked board to the TV and nothing.)

Also, is it necessary to have an antenna hooked into the AF switcher?

Can anybody help me fix this problem or should I just junk the damn thing!

Hmm...I bought a complete boxed and very good condition NES Action Set this weekend (for $50!!) and I had the same problem.

Everytime I inserted a game (regardless of which one), I got the dreaded purple screen (or a glitched out title screen that flashed). Of course I have the thing hooked up via the A/V jacks (composite) so there is very little that can go wrong as this is a clean, direct connection. I pulled out my old NES cleaning kit and gave the internal contacts a good cleaning. After I let it dry and repeated the process, the NES was as good as new, if not better.

I'm not sure why yours is failing to read cartridges. My original NES blew out its power diode (or so the "nintendo world class" repair center told me) and after that, the light never came on. Yours is still getting the purple screen, so at least it functions. The question is, why won't it read the carts?

Before junking it, you may want to invest in a new contact set (very cheap on ebay) and replace the one you have. It could be as something as a bent contact pin, or the trouble could be something more serious like one of the chips.

Well Stan,

I can tell you, I've had this problem way too much, I used to blow out the cart, clean it with the NES cleaner, put the thing in, and, the kid down the street told me this years ago, you know the little grip that sticks out when it's in the system? Work your finger over it, back and forth. That usually works. However, since you have gone to such extreme measures, I'm ready to declare your NES a piece of garbage. I recommend you throw it out of a 10-story window quickly, then head down to the thrift shop and get yourself a new one.

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

Well Stan,

I can tell you, I've had this problem way too much, I used to blow out the cart, clean it with the NES cleaner, put the thing in, and, the kid down the street told me this years ago, you know the little grip that sticks out when it's in the system? Work your finger over it, back and forth. That usually works. However, since you have gone to such extreme measures, I'm ready to declare your NES a piece of garbage. I recommend you throw it out of a 10-story window quickly, then head down to the thrift shop and get yourself a new one.

Given that there is a finite supply of NES systems (and given the resurgence of interest in NES gaming), I would try to fix it before throwing it out. It may be something as simple as replacing the contact/connectors.

Good to know, Adrian. I've cleaned the contacts with alcohol twice and I'm letting it dry now. I'll hook it back up again and try later. I can probably find another NES pretty easily, but I'd like to salvage this one if I can.

Are their avenues other than ebay to get that replacement contact?

Stan

quote:

Given that there is a finite supply of NES systems (and given the resurgence of interest in NES gaming), I would try to fix it before throwing it out. It may be something as simple as replacing the contact/connectors.

Good point, but just like the 2600, we won't be running out any time soon. Who knows, getting a new one might be cheaper than trying to the repair the old one (but I really have no idea about that).

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

Good to know, Adrian. I've cleaned the contacts with alcohol twice and I'm letting it dry now. I'll hook it back up again and try later. I can probably find another NES pretty easily, but I'd like to salvage this one if I can.

Are their avenues other than ebay to get that replacement contact?

Stan

Stan i have a working NES , maybe we can work something out.