IGNORED

Mr Do Diamonds and free games

Foxsolo2000

I was a huge fan of the game Mr Do and one of the things that appealed to me at time of playing back in the 80's was the fact that once in a while a diamond would turn up which if you managed to get hold of awarded you a free game. The most diamonds I ever had in one game was four spread out from level 1 to 48 but a friend of mine claimed that he actually saw 2 diamonds on the screen at the same time. Does anyone know if this was possible?

My second question regards Mr Do's Castle in which another friend (unrelated to the first) claimed that you could find diamonds on this game. Again it was something that I never came across but as you could pick up a diamond in Mr Do Run Run it sounds plausible so again does anyone know if he was telling me the truth or not? ;)

Yes, there are diamonds in Mr. Do's Castle. I have actually obtained them 2 or 3 times while playing in MAME. Acording to the technical section here: http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=M&game_id=8771

"The PCB is marked with the code 8300-A2 and the ROMs bear the marking A1-A10. At least two ROM versions exist, but later revisons have extended game play by the inclusion of blocks with cherrys embeded in them. Also the replay Diamond was added".

There's a snapshot as well of the screen you would see after obtaining a diamond at the above link.

-Trebor

I'm pretty sure there was a diamond in Mr. Do's Castle. Pretty rare, though!

JR

It was so rare that noone I ever talked to saw one. I was beginning to think it an urban myth until you guys came forward. Thanks for the heads up. Was it still possible to get two diamonds on the screen at the same time though in the original Mr Do? ;)

They seemed pretty rare in Mr. Do to me too.. and believe you me I played a lot of Mr. Do. I even knew the 255 lives trick and would sit there and literally play for hours at a time. HOURS.

... and when was the first time I ever saw a diamond come up in gameplay? Almost 20 years later while playing it using MAME! :lol:

Came across an interesting bug in Mr Do Run Run this morning for I needed the letter X for an extra man and had no men left. I threw the powerball and got caught by a fireball which killed me but at the same time the powerball hit the letter X and despite the fact that I lost my last man the next screen popped up and I was awarded an extra man and allowed to continue in the game. Anyone else had this happen to them. ;)

Was Mr. Do! the first game to offer a free game? I know some other games did it later on (Cloak & Dagger being one), but to me it seems that Mr. Do was the first.

Its predecessor, Ladybug from 1981, offered a free game for spelling SPECIAL in the coin-op version.

Mr. Do! and Mr. Do's Castle had settings for the operator to determine how often the diamonds appeared. I remember playing Mr. Do! to death back in the day and NEVER seeing a diamond.... same with all the Mr. Do's Castle machines I'd play except for one.

Honestly it's one of my favorite features on a classic. Kind of exciting when you see it.

I once did see someone get a diamond to appear from an apple that broke open JUST as he hit the last bad guy, ending the level.

Was Mr. Do! the first game to offer a free game? I know some other games did it later on (Cloak & Dagger being one), but to me it seems that Mr. Do was the first.

Tempest

I used to have a Mirco Challenge, a 1-4 player pong cocktail from about '74. If you beat it in 1 player mode you got a free game.

Mr. Do! and Mr. Do's Castle had settings for the operator to determine how often the diamonds appeared. I remember playing Mr. Do! to death back in the day and NEVER seeing a diamond.... same with all the Mr. Do's Castle machines I'd play except for one.

Honestly it's one of my favorite features on a classic. Kind of exciting when you see it.

I once did see someone get a diamond to appear from an apple that broke open JUST as he hit the last bad guy, ending the level.

That happened to me several times. Frustrating as hell when it happened ;)