IGNORED

RF Problem?

StanJr

Ok, some of you may remember my purple screen of death problem from a week or so ago. Well, I bought another NES and hooked it up (same hook-ups different system) and now I get an Orange Screen of death (but this time, I can get SOME of my games to play as opposed to last time when none would).

So I'm thinking, could this be a problem with the hook-ups like the RF adapter?

I bought the new system from skatepunk who tested it and said it worked great. I trust him, so I fear the problem may be on my end.

Could the problem lie in the RF?

I had screen problems with three different Nintendo NES but it was never coming from the original "automatic" RF switch Nintendo.

You can try with another RF switch, like a manual one to be sure, but I'm almost certain that it comes from the *%/&£ connector inside the NES.

Just dismantle the NES and bend each parts of the connector with a small jewel-screwdrivers (not too hard bend or you will perhaps broke it).

Then it goes normally really well, carts are a little stiffer to push in it, telling you that you do your job well.

On some consoles I have seen that after bending the whole parts of connector, it was not even necessary to push the cartrdige down when inserted, just insert it and voilà !

the problem could possibly be in your games... The reason I say this is because I have worked on a few nintendos that were perfectly clean and worked fine with all other games, but the games that I was trying to use in it had corroded connectors. I even cleaned the connectors with rubbing alcohol, so initially I thought it was a problem with the nintendo. They seemed to bring about different results from different nintendos. On a few games, I had to clean them many, many times even after it seemed that they were perfectly clean. I eventually got all of the stuff to work, but it was a real pain. (I had to physically scrape the corrosion off of the connections)

Yeah, I thought about the carts too, but they are all totally clean (practically like new!). For good measure, I cleaned them with alcohol anyway.

I'm still confused about where on the connector to press? Are the holes directly above the connector slot or are they on top of the connector at the back of it?

I tried the "push the connector pins" thing and screwed it up so I HAD to buy a new 72-pin connector.

Since you won't use eBay, I would make sure you find another source for a new 72-pin connector before you try pushing the pins.

You say some games work? Do the games that don't work slide in easier than the ones that do work? If so sounds like the connector and the carts are worn too much so the pins are not contacting.

I have a system like that, It didn't work at first then I cleaned the 72-pin connector with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. The games that seemed to fit a little tighter worked fine, but the games that go in easy don't.

I know you won't go this route but here is an eBay auction for a new 72-pin connector, the seller has over 1146 Positive feedback and only 2 negative.

The auction ends 4/21/02 at 12:28 PDT

72-Pin eBay Auction

Its a DUTCH auction with 80 bids

current bid is $8.95 + $3.50 shipping

Yeah, its gotta be a connector problem. All the games go in with the same amount of ease. But to get them to work, I gotta fiddle with them.

Since I now own 2 NES with similar problems, I'm going to "experiment" with the one and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip on the new connector.

Stan