IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 3: Q*Bert

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Q*Bert and compare future scores, feel free to do so, but no more scores will be added to the listing.

All the action and excitement of the popular arcade game are here! Hop Q*Bert up and down on a pyramid of cubes, changing colors on each of the cube tops. When they're all the same color, Q*Bert moves to a new and more difficult pyramid. But strange characters want to stop Q*Bert from his fanciful mission. You'll have to do some fast hopping in this quick and "quasy" game!

Game Information

• Game Name: Q*Bert
  • Released By: Parker Bros, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: LarcenTyler

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Thursday, May 18th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 100,000 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
    100,000 (shawnb) [+11]
    100,000 (the 5th ghost) [+11]
  2. 86,450 (vdub_bobby) [+10]
  3. 80,475 (SpiceWare) [+9]
  4. 76,375 (BrianC) [+8]
  5. 62,200 (128bytes) [+7]
  6. 57,700 (keilbaca) [+6]
  7. 54,675 (supercat) [+5]
  8. 53,050 (phaxda) [+4]
  9. 40,900 (Lord Helmet) [+3]
  10. 39,050 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 34,400 (scogey) [+1]

Best Tips

• 128bytes [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 2,161,000 (Jonathan A Ewing)
  2. 1,000,050 (Todd Rogers)
  3. 196,475 (Alan W Hewston)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [24]
  2. keilbaca [17]
  3. shawnb [17]
  4. Lord Thag [15]
  5. SpiceWare [13]
  6. the 5th ghost [13]
  7. vdub_bobby [8]
  8. Cybergoth [7]
  9. Malc74 [7]
  10. Lord Helmet [6]
  11. Christophero Sly [4]
  12. scogey [3]
  13. LarcenTyler [3]
  14. phaxda [3]
  15. Omegamatrix [1]
Scoring Points in Q*Bert
  • Q*bert changes cubes to destination colour - 25 points
  • Q*bert catches Sam - 300 points
  • Q*bert catches Green Ball - 100 points
  • Q*bert lures Coily off pyramid - 500 points
  • Bonus points for every round you complete - 3100 points
  • Bonus Q*berts - One after the first five rounds; then one for every four rounds thereafter.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy of it available online. The manual contains no real hints, but it's worth reading for the information it provides.
Here's another tip that's almost too obvious, but, very useful in later rounds:

The target color of the cubes is ALWAYS the same color as the score. When you are in the later rounds, and the color of the cubes is always flipping around between the start color, the intermediate color, and the target color, it is very easy to lose track of the target color, but a quick glance at the score (when it is actually on the screen!) will set you straight.

--Ze_ro

post-6203-1147449439_thumb.jpg

In the first two levels, try to use all the flying discs to lure Coily off the pyramid for extra points.

Don't hop on one of the upper flying discs when Coily is above you.

Coily will jump to the top of the pyramid to wait you up, instead of falling into space.

Just like the arcade version, it all comes down to learning the right jump-patterns.

Here's some interesting background info:

http://members.aol.com/JPMLee/qbert.htm

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I have been playing all night. I wish I'd joined in this High Score thing a long time ago!

45,975!

I love this game. Great arcade conversion :cool:

Wish I were better at it though:

post-6271-1147492843_thumb.jpg

That's right, the top-jumping bug is off-limits. I probably should have mentioned that before.

There's also a bug that jumping onto a "disk" at the same time Coily touches Q*Bert will sometimes cause the death effect without deducting a player life. Would I be correct in assuming that that bug is fair game, since it doesn't come about deliberately, and is not exploitable except that the player gets away with a closer call than he should?

The top jumping bug is a bug that keeps you from losing a life if you jump to the upper right from the top square.

I just tried it and I lost my life. Even if it did work, there would be no way of accumulating an unlimited amount of points since you only get points for changing a cube's color; you don't get points for just jumping around. :?

Edited by the 5th ghost

The top jumping bug is a bug that keeps you from losing a life if you jump to the upper right from the top square.

I just tried it and I lost my life. Even if it did work, there would be no way of accumulating an unlimited amount of points since you only get points for changing a cube's color; you don't get points for just jumping around. :?

Just found this with Google:

Jump to the top of the pyramid. When Coily's on one of the cubes

below you and ready to pounce, jump up-right off the pyramid. Coily

will follow you, you'll get the points for killing him, and you won't

lose your life!!! With this trick you could potentially reset the

score counter without ever leaving the first pyramid.

I verified this in emulation. Weird. How could that be missed in testing?

Edited by vdub_bobby

I found out that the cheat does work and you do get 500 points for a falling Coily.

So basically you can get an unlimited amount of points without ever leaving the first screen.

Too bad.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter