IGNORED

Best Atari System?

Don't forget the Lynx!

I'd go with the 7800, myself. It's like a 2600, with more games. Granted, many of the games are found on the 2600 as well, but these ones are usually better, and the titles exclusive to the 7800 of the 2 are pretty good too, like robotron, Scrapyard Dog, and the venerable Ballblazer.

Plus I like both controllers, stick and pad. I'm crazy, apparently ;p

They are all great. Lynx is the best handheld. My fave though is probably 7800 because you can play 2600 games as well as 7800 games, with the Jag coming in a close second. The Jaguar rocks. You can't beat tempest 2000, raiden, the port of pitfall, and many other.

Brad

Are we not considering the XEGS game system as a system? That, of course, would open up all the 8-bit Atari computers into the realm of systems as the XEGS is one disguised as a console...But, I'd have to go with the Jaguar, hands down my all-time favorite system from ANY company...if we are going to include the XEGS then I'd say it's a very close second for me, since it can play the whole 8-bit computer library with the addition of a disk drive (comparible to a JAG with the cd drive ), so my answer is D-which stands for DEFINATELY.

I'd have to say the 2600. My reasoning for this is that yes, the 7800 is a great system, but the 2600 seems to be the system that can take more of a beating. I once did some repairs on a 2600 system that had gone through the trash compactor at someone's work. The only problems (other than the cosmetic ones) that it had were the ones it had before going into the compactor. After replacing two chips and doing some work on the case, it was working just fine. The 5200 is also a good system, but the controllers aren't very reliable. As for the Jaguar, the controls are pretty good, but there just aren't enough games for it to be a competitor. The lynx is also good, but many of the games for it are not. So, that is why I consider the Atari 2600 to be the best atari system. It may not be able to play the games for the 7800 or 5200, but it's durable, simple, and doesn't require a lot of looking to find games to use on it.

The 2600 six switches because of the wood look and the fact that it 's an instant classic

The 7800 because it can play all the 2600 carts I have and it has good titles of its own with far superior graphics (compared to the 2600)

The Lynx, as AtariKen64 says is the best handheld made by Atari...and I agree (of course), but the best handheld (need big hands ) is the Sega Nomad without doubt. Just compare the two displays.