IGNORED

Saturn - Tempest 2000?

Lemmi

I passed on the game Tempest 2000 for the Sega Saturn yesterday, abd i was wondering if anyone has this game, and if it is worth getting, how's the game play and controls that type of thing and do you like it?

Cause i can get it next weekend if the reviews are good enough

There are pros and cons to the Saturn version, as compared to the Jaguar version.

The Saturn has a smoother frame rate, but sacrifices the awesome colour cycling of the Jaguar. In other words, the colours of the webs are in visible 'bands' with a flat edge as opposed to the seamless bands on the Jaguar.

The music is read from the CD so it sounds "flatter" than the mods on the Jaguar version. (Odd... I know...)

All in all it is a good port, but I find myself having more fun with the Jaguar version. If you don't have a Jag, it would be an excellent substitute...

Thanks, liquid_sky!

(*pats on back...*) We're even now, right?

To be honest with you, the Saturn version is good, but if you have the Jaguar version you have the best version.

In my opinion, there are two major gameplay downfalls to the Saturn version that are "correct" in the Jaguar version:

1) The spikes are much harder to clear away. I don't understand this change at all, as the spikes were not this hard to get rid of in the original Tempest.

2) The AI droid is devoid of all of it's "I". It is not intelligent at all. In the Jaguar version, you can leave the AI droid to take part of the board so you can concentrate on another part. This AI droid sits in one spot and doesn't really go after anything, where the Jaguar's AI droid actually goes after the baddies.

I also like the original music from the Jag version, but the Saturn version has the exact same Tempest 2000 Soundtrack tracks, so it is still quite good.

After all that having been said, I do have to say that Tempest 2000 for the Saturn is still an extremely solid and enjoyable release and one of my personal favorites for the Saturn.