IGNORED

newbie wants to change graphics- forum posts?

hansendesigns

AA forum-

i am seeking the forum posts that help newbies

hack graphics simply (like in space invaders)

tell us what all the terms like hack o matic etc.. mean

also if these finished games can be burned to disc and shared, and will something hacked on a mac work on a pc?

i need to hear this from step one-

where do i get the game to hack?

how do i break in?

can sound be easily altered?

what's this about making cartridges from the hacks?

etc...

does downloading any of this stuff compromise the computer? (glitchy responses)

i know there must be old posts for all these things-

thanks!

hd

go to Salem Frost Games to download the tools you will need to hack game graphics or "sprites" as they are called, these tools are under the BJARS link. Altering sounds and functionality of games means you need to know Assembly language, colors can be altered using Distella and DASM let me know when you have mastered Sprite changes and I will help you with color changes.

Tim

Edited by usinoh

Sound can not always be altered easily...because the sound registers only require 5 bits of data (the other 3 in sound data tables might be used for something else). Disassembly is the only way to be sure...and it's pretty much the only way to find out where the tables are located anyway (unless somebody else already did the search and gave you the addresses to alter).

Game binaries can be obtained for free right here at AtariAge (and many other internet locations). Just click here:

http://www.atariage.com/system_items.html?...&ItemTypeID=ROM

Whether it is hacked using a PC or Mac makes no difference...since the resulting binary is not directly compatable with a modern computer anyway...you need to use an emulator to run it. All that the emulator cares about is if it is a compatable size (of course, additional details like the start/interrupt vectors being in the right spot also apply).

Actual cartridges can be made of a binary by "burning" the program onto an Eprom chip and mounting that chip on a 2600 cartridge PBC w/a hex inverter. These materials can be obtained right from the AtariAge store link above.