IGNORED

Much love for Galaga

shadow460

Yeah, the NES ain't too bad, but it's just not as much of a classic as the 7800. I testify to that by not currently owning an NES.

Oh, THAT's some bulletproof reasoning there. Anything you don't own, isn't a classic. Riiiight.

I swear to god, the reality distortion fields of some people around here would give Stephen Hawking epileptic fits.

Edited by ZylonBane

I still don't understand why on an ATARI website in an ATARI 7800 forum, in a thread praising a 7800 game, a bunch of nitwits who like to argue about "The NES is always better" come in and start masturbating about Fat Plumbers and Mushrooms.

Seriously, why not just go to a NES Forum on another site to talk about how much better you like the NES, and stop being a bunch of nitpicking morons?

I still don't understand why on an ATARI website in an ATARI 7800 forum, in a thread praising a 7800 game, a bunch of nitwits who like to argue about "The NES is always better" come in and start masturbating about Fat Plumbers and Mushrooms.

Danno, there are trolls in every forum. It is what it is.

That said, "better" is a very black and white way of looking at things. The reality is that each system has their strengths but at the end of the day, the Nintendo was the greater success in the market for a great many reasons.

A fanboi would sit here and defend the 7800 version of the game for being technically brilliant, and try to nitpick other versions.

A true Atari fan would describe the game at face value... we aren't slagging it off, just telling it like it is.

Galaga Arcade Machine = Minimum $500 dollars

Galaga 7800 Cartridge = Maximum $5 dollars

I play the Arcade version when I see a Galaga machine out and about and I can go home to my ATARI afterwards and play it and have just as much fun as I did an hour ago on the arcade only difference being I admit I love pumping quarters into the machine and using the arcade controls more than playing on a TV with a controller. But thats just an obvious difference between an upright and a console game.

I think the game needs to be appreciated for what it is. I know some are gonna say "ya, a peice of shit" but it's not, not even close. The game is good and plays quite well. It's a 16k game for God's sake, give some credit where credit is due and if you don't like it THAT much and you are a fan of Galaga than re-write the damn thing, hell I'll even buy a copy from you!!

A fanboi would sit here and defend the 7800 version of the game for being technically brilliant, and try to nitpick other versions.

A true Atari fan would describe the game at face value... we aren't slagging it off, just telling it like it is.

I like Galaga on the 7800. I know that the aspect ratio isn't exactly the same as the arcade, nor are the Graphics and Gameplay 100% faithful either. That doesn't change my enjoyment of the game. Honestly, I like the 7800 version better than the Arcade version.

And If I wanted to play the Arcade version, I'd just fire up MAME, not bring up some dodgy, childish comparison to the NES version.

I like Galaga on the 7800. I know that the aspect ratio isn't exactly the same as the arcade, nor are the Graphics and Gameplay 100% faithful either. That doesn't change my enjoyment of the game. Honestly, I like the 7800 version better than the Arcade version.

And If I wanted to play the Arcade version, I'd just fire up MAME, not bring up some dodgy, childish comparison to the NES version.

The NES version is far superior to the 7800 version. There's nothing dodgy or childish about it. I do not like the NES and can see that.

It's all just videogame conversation man. Nothing to get all worked up about. Seems natural to me to compare different versions of the same game, especially those that were on competing systems.

The NES version is far superior to the 7800 version. There's nothing dodgy or childish about it. I do not like the NES and can see that.

Superior how? Because the sprites flicker constantly?

More faithful to the arcade version, sure. Superior is a measure of opinion. I said I LIKE the 7800 version better than even the Arcade. So even if the NES version is more faithfully accurate to the Arcade version, that doesn't make it Superior to me, especially to someone who doesn't much care for the Arcade version either.

It's all just videogame conversation man. Nothing to get all worked up about. Seems natural to me to compare different versions of the same game, especially those that were on competing systems.

I know it's just coversation. Trust me, I'm laughing my ass off at this silliness.

I just find it funny that the conversation in the 7800 forum is so overwhelmingly negative so often about nearly everything to do with the 7800, and it's mostly coming from NES fans who seem to not be able to let go of arguments they had when they were 12.

I come here to read and talk about Atari games. There are other sub forums for other systems. If I wanted to talk about other systems, I'd go elsewhere.

Am I the only one who finds it curious that the 7800 forum is generally dominated by people who clearly didn't like the 7800 at all? Seems like some pretty fucked up sociopathy that drives someone to troll a classic video game forum to dredge up 20 year old middle school arguments.

More faithful to the arcade version, sure. Superior is a measure of opinion. I said I LIKE the 7800 version better than even the Arcade. So even if the NES version is more faithfully accurate to the Arcade version, that doesn't make it Superior to me, especially to someone who doesn't much care for the Arcade version either.

Good for you. As someone who used to put in 50 cents to the arcade machine instead of 25 cents so that I could play from the player two position so my score wouldn't flip at 1 million, I can say with 100% certainty that as far as I am concerned, the 7800 version sucked and after revisiting it last night after reading your comments about the NES in this thead am still convinced of that. The NES version was much more faithful to the arcade version and therefore a superior port. You calling the comparison childish and dodgy does not change that fact.

Good for you. As someone who used to put in 50 cents to the arcade machine instead of 25 cents so that I could play from the player two position so my score wouldn't flip at 1 million, I can say with 100% certainty that as far as I am concerned, the 7800 version sucked and after revisiting it last night after reading your comments about the NES in this thead am still convinced of that. The NES version was much more faithful to the arcade version and therefore a superior port. You calling the comparison childish and dodgy does not change that fact.

Great. So your opinions are superior to mine.

:roll: Jackass.

Wow. What a strong counter-argument you make. :roll:

You're only problem is with yourself and your inability to back up what was in the eyes of everyone else here, including hardcore 7800 fans, an absurd statement. Calling me names merely weakens your argument further.

Wow. What a strong counter-argument you make. :roll:

You're only problem is with yourself and your inability to back up what was in the eyes of everyone else here, including hardcore 7800 fans, an absurd statement. Calling me names merely weakens your argument further.

I like the 7800 version of the game Galaga.

You don't.

Neither of us are wrong. There's nothing to be backed up.

If you made the statement that the NES Galaga port is more accurate to the Arcade version, I would agree. That's not going to make me like or dislike it any more or less.

What part of this aren't you getting?

Am I the only one who finds it curious that the 7800 forum is generally dominated by people who clearly didn't like the 7800 at all?

I would imagine it's not that people don't like it, rather it's the fact that there are so few really good games on the platform. The ratio of great:good:bad games is heavily in favor of bad IMHO. I love my 7800, primarily because it has a couple of great arcade ports and it says ATARI on the label. If it didn't say Atari on it, it would probably sit there collecting dust like my Intellivision. Oh, and to be fair, my NES has a nice collection of dust on it too. The only systems I currently play alot are my 5200, 7800 (2600), and XBox :)

On a side note...

Danno, why is it that many/most of the 7800 threads that I see you post in turn into giant flame wars? It's almost like I can gurantee that when you post in the 7800 forum, there is going to be a giant argument between you and one or two others...:|

Edited by Lord Helmet

You're the one who doesn't seem to"get it." The reason people are replying to you the way they are is that you keep throwing around insults. People react to insults. If you cannot make an argument without throwing around insults, you may soon find you no longer have the ability to post here.

Am I the only one who finds it curious that the 7800 forum is generally dominated by people who clearly didn't like the 7800 at all?

I would imagine it's not that people don't like it, rather it's the fact that there are so few really good games on the platform. The ratio of great:good:bad games is heavily in favor of bad IMHO. I love my 7800, primarily because it has a couple of great arcade ports and it says ATARI on the label. If it didn't say Atari on it, it would probably sit there collecting dust like my Intellivision. Oh, and to be fair, my NES has a nice collection of dust on it too. The only systems I currently play alot are my 5200, 7800 (2600), and XBox :)

On a side note...

Danno, why is it that many/most of the 7800 threads that I see you post in turn into giant flame wars? It's almost like I can gurantee that when you post in the 7800 forum, there is going to be a giant argument between you and one or two others...:|

I would agure that the ratio is probably the same for every system available, and that 7800 was more hampered by such a small library. Out of the 4,000 or so titles available for the NES, is the ratio of good:suck really any higher? I think not. But you do make a good point.

As for the Other question, well, I've been around here for quite a while. Typically I just read. Occasionally, I'll post. But as I said, the tone in the 7800 has been very negative for some time now. I like the 7800, which is why I come here. So when I see that this forum has become just a bunch of people tearing it to shreds undeservedly (in my opinoin) then I will occasionally post about it. I just tend not to pull any punches. Some people don't like being confronted with opposing opinions. That's not going to stop me from offering them.

I would agure that the ratio is probably the same for every system available, and that 7800 was more hampered by such a small library. Out of the 4,000 or so titles available for the NES, is the ratio of good:suck really any higher? I think not. But you do make a good point.

I would agree that the ratio is about the same on most systems, including the NES. The exceptions (for me anyway) would be the Vectrex and the 5200. Those 2 had more winners than losers IMHO.

You are correct about the 7800 being hampered by its small library. What a waste of potential :sad:

You're the one who doesn't seem to"get it." The reason people are replying to you the way they are is that you keep throwing around insults. People react to insults. If you cannot make an argument without throwing around insults, you may soon find you no longer have the ability to post here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but before I uttered any insult, you made a post that seemed to indicate that my opinion was not valid, simply because I disagreed with you and "everyone else here".

So insults are a no-no, but subtle intimidation and wolfpack mentality is ok?

Tell you what - you want to ban me? Ban me. But if you're going to do it just because I "insulted" someone, then you might want to review this thread a bit. Zylonbane and a number of others did the exact same thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but before I uttered any insult, you made a post that seemed to indicate that my opinion was not valid, simply because I disagreed with you and "everyone else here".

You are 100% wrong! I posted an opinion and you attacked me for posting it because it was contrary to your own and went as far as to call me a name. Looking at your post history, this is not an isolated thing with you.

You are 100% wrong!

So are you going to ban me or not? :roll:

I've never played the NES version of Galaga, so I can't base my original post on that version at all. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, and pick it up if I see it. It, too, is still a "classic game", although not as classic as maybe Atari is. (ZylonBane, you are a classic, because I own you, BTW. :P )

My post refers to the arcade, the 7800 version, and the "compatibility" I felt between the two.

IMO, the best version is the $500 arcade machine. MAME with an arcade style stick would come in very close to that.

Til I get an arcade machine, though, I'll hang tight with what I've got.

In an attempt to stay on topic here, I personally like the 7800 port of Galaga. It wasn't perfect, sure (no port that I've played to date has been). However, it wasn't bad by any stretch. In fact, I can name off a whole list of games (7800 and otherwise) that, given the choice between "Game X" and Galaga on the 7800, I pick this version of Galaga.

That said now... yes, the NES version does look better and sound better... yes it does. Is it better than the 7800? Well, comparing each version back directly to the arcade version, yes. The NES version excels, for the most part, in capturing the arcade's graphics, sound, and feel. The graphics are pixel-for-pixel from the arcade, the sounds are accurate for the most part, and Namco / Bandai used the "sidebar" scoring to give the screen a more vertically-oriented look, closer to the true arcade game. The 7800's graphics are a bit more pixelized, had generally weaker sound (a hardware issue only, mind you), though the sounds were similar to the arcade, and the 7800 puts a genuine effort into trying to act like the arcade machine, though not perfectly. For the record, though, the NES version isn't perfect, either!

But you know what? Comparing 7800 games with their NES cousins is like comparing apples to oranges most of the time. Just can't be done because the systems, while similar, seem (to me) to differ so much. Therefore, "who is better" is a moot point and really has no place here since that isn't what the topic is about in the first place. So again, it's all about the 7800 version of Galaga... not the arcade and not the NES version. So I cast these two aside and all arguments that follow them about "who is best." It's irrelevant, as I see it.

Rating the 7800 version of Galaga on its own laurels only, and comparing to other 7800 titles, I say that the 7800 port of Galaga, while not perfect, is at least ranking somewhere between decent and good in my book. I was glad to pay the small fee on eBay to land a boxed copy a couple of years ago. I say it was money well spent, and I do enjoy the game from time to time when I play it. :)

Edited by rockman_x_2002