IGNORED

RAM - Random Access Memories - Cable vs. DSL

RSS Bot

Soon I will be out of debt couseiling and glad of it. To finally be able to get myself a new computer and broadband service. I have looked in to both as an option for my broadband service and decided to post this little guide to let you know the pitfalls of both options. Lets start out with cable internet, and despite those constant The Slowsky's commerical Comcast has, that air on the local stations. Cable internet service does have it's downfalls, and in some cases can be slower than dail-up. But let us look first at the service itself. Did you know it is quite similair to a shared network, and has the same problems all shared networks have. That is the number of users determines how fast the sevice actually is. But that isn't all folks, take what this Comcast Cable Tech actually said to me, "Cable internet can be slower than dial-up, if say there are lot of users and if say the number of illegal hook ups are high". Why is that so, you might be wondering. Cable is a balanced system. Meaning too many people on it, without the right kind of equipment backing it up. If say your Cable signals is very snowy, this means your cable internet will run very slow in deed.

DSL on the other hand isn't bothered by too many users. But you can get slow down if the signal has to go far from the nearest fiber optic cable. But considering that this fiber problem only effects rural areas, and like most of us who lives in cities. This problem won't effect you at all. In fact according to a report made by a consumer agency unlike cable internet, whatever speed the DSL company says you will be getting they deliver it 99% of the time. For cable by the way it's only 46%.

Also DSL is generally half the price of cable internet, and most DSL companies have deals where if you sign up online for the first time on their sites, you can get your first year or 2 of service cheaper than dail-up.

So what should you use, I say despite the commericals say if you just surf generally and occansionally download, go with the cheapest DSL service that's $12.99 to start and generally runs no more than $28 a month after. Unless you are planning to download massive files these 1.5 MPS service usually is more than what is needed.

If you laugh at this, you obviously been online for sometime and more than likely do a little internet gaming. Then you might be wondering what I have to say is the best for you. Since service is different along with pngs lag times. I reccomend you head on over to your local internet cafe and ask around the ones who actually do this, as they are the best ones to advise you.

One last thing...my advice if say you want to download say 4.5 gigs of data at a time. Go for pure fiber, you generally

pay more than $100 a month but you will find the speed helps, and there is nothing faster.

Well maybe, I was checking out a computer mags website a while back it seems the DSL companies are tired of being bashed by these cable companies. For if that mag was right. Might be offering 100 MPS DSL service by this Dec.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...&showentry=1562