IGNORED

I never thought I would see this day...

-^CrossBow^-

Yeap...the Ivory Tower Collections finally has a new addition. And what an addition it is!

Now I literally found this cab at the Admiral Flea Market this morning here in Tulsa?! I won't go into details on the price, but suffice it to say it was an incredible deal?! It isn't perfect however. The back corners of the side panels are torn up pretty badly. However, there doesn't appear to be any water damage that I can tell on this cab. The cardboard is also severly warped, but I might be able to get this back into shape. All the controls work, and the sound is excellent minus a light hum. However, there is no video as of yet. I don't think this is just a simple cap job either. It appears that I at least have a full 125v going into the flyback board but I can't get anything beyond that. The monitor is the original Electrohome 19inch G07. In fact, the original sticker on the back of the machine still has the serial number and it matches the one on the inside of the cab as well. From what I can tell, this unit was only used about 1 year of its life in the public. As the license sticker on the top of the cab had an expiration of '84 on it. The power supply appears to be new but the main PCB and sound board look to be in excellent shape!? Also as you can see in the main pic, the coin mech is missing on one side. But the other side has been disconnected as well. Inside, the reset switch appears to have been removed as was the service switch. Instead there is a spring switch now in the place of the service switch and it appears to have been wired for credits. Anyway, I do plan to get this beauty up and running ASAP and cleaned up for Aug. I don't think that needs much explanation.

Now for the real moment you have been waiting for. I found this at the flea market, and bought and had it delivered to my house for the amazing low price of....

$55

:D

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Very nice indeed. Doesn't seem to much trouble to get it into great shape.

I recently purchased a 1978 Space invaders for $200 at a thrift store. It had $275 on the tag and I talked them down. I still think it was a bit high. The cabinet was in excellent shape the only bad parts are the bezel and the control panel.

Happy gaming!

Nice! I hope you get it up and running soon. My own recent scores came together nicely. The Battlezone was a complete mess (parts dissasembled, monitor out etc), but it came together and looks fantastic. I hope yours is just as easy. Very nice find. Frogger is a great game!

As to your bent cardboard, I seem to remember hearing you can mist it with some water and a spray bottle, then sandwich it in between two sheets of pressboard (or whatever) and a weight, and it will straiten out. Dunno. I think that was how it was done.

Edited by Lord Thag

Yeah...it is very dusty. But I want it working before I start the arduous task of spit shine. It will be sometime before I have it fully restored if ever. The back corners are really torn up badly. But everything in side looks good and the even the boards and power supply have hardly any dust accumulated on them. In fact the only board that is in what I would call (a proper 20+ year old looking state) would be the flyback. And it is also the most likely board to be shot.

I know that the large ceramic resistor block on the side is bad as I can see a crack in it...and when I was moving some wires looking for any loose connections, a piece of the ceramic flaked off and fell to the bottom of the cab. However I have grabbed my meter and verified that at least 125v is making it to the flyback, but I can't get any reliable voltage much further than that.

Just be careful, if the flyback is bad, it will store a nasy charge in the main filter capacitor. Much louder than any anode discharge. G07s are notorious for having bad flybacks also (sometimes they explode, crack down the side, blow holes in the side, and sometimes they go quietly)

Do you get static charge up in the tube when you turn it on? If not that would indicate a bad flyback, even if you are getting the proper voltages to it. (see bob roberts page for a rebuild kit for this monitor that includes a flyback)

I actually don't get a discharge from the tube. I was careful to try and discharge before working on it and there was no spark. I am pretty sure the flyback is gone...I see 6 burned wires off of a molex connect from the left side of the board to the game board...so something smoked on the flyback causing a short causing a massive amount of heat to melt wires that don't normally have that much voltage running through them.

Ehh...doesn't matter. There is a local repair guy here that is willing to sell me a tested refurbed flyback and neck for about $70. I just might have to go that route for the quickest and safest fix.

I assume you mean a monitor chassis for that price eh? The flybacks are 25 bucks and the horizontal output transistor usually goes too. There are some specialty "tailed" fuses for the board too but they come in a rebuild kit. If its 70 for an exchange chassis, good enough deal. It needs a cap kit, its 25 years old :)....its about 35 bucks in parts to fix it yourself.

For the record, I have rebuilt probably 400 arcades in the past ten years. I have NEVER, not even a SINGLE time had a G07 (or any other 19 incher) go bad and the monitor still hold a charge. If the monitor is on within a reasonable period of time I worry about discharging. If its been a while (like its been in a storage cabinet for years) I don't even think about it. Do with that as you will, just thought I would share this as there is a discussion about safety with these.

Good deal on the cab. I have used bondo to build the cab solid on those and then matched the grain with contact paper over those sections.

Get an old toothbrush and some Simple Green and work that control panel over. It will look brand new. I have a contact that "may" have one of those mechs you need (as you know they are not standard).

Cassidy

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my Frogger cab...again...pictures speak more than words.

fgr_front.jpg

fgr_panel.jpg

I also thought the a shot of the original Serial number sticker that is still on the outside back panel might be cool.

fgr_serial.jpg

Is there someplace online were one can register ownership of these cabs again? Or perhaps track the history of the cabs via the Serial#?

Anyway, operationally it is ready to go for my show in Aug. I still have to get two new keylocks, one for the back panel, and the other for the coin door. I also have to get another Happ button and paint me a small piece of plywood black. This will be used to cover the other missing coin mech and move the wires from the reset switch which current credits the machine to an easier to use Free credits button next to the original coin mech still installed. This will also allow me to make it look ok for now and if I decide to repair and replace the missing coin mech for two working ones, I can still do this in the future.