IGNORED

g2f and horizontal scrollers

tschak909

would it be practical to create the graphics for a horizontal scroller in a paint program, and convert them to character sets using G2F? I was thinking of building one large screen, and splitting it up into 160x200 segments that could then be loaded into G2F, converted, then used in the map editor.

Is this feasible?

I ask, because of character set issues. G2F uses a lot of DLI character set redefining to get above the normal limit of a single character set. How could this be dealt with in a situation where HSCROL moves the screen to the right or left? What sacrifices would I have to make?

:?

-Thom

If your character set was, for example 3x3, then you might want to have 3 character sets so that you had all displayable characters.

Doesn't G2F just use 1 chacter set each 3 lines?

For stuff like that, I just create 256 colour BMP files and write a BASIC program which does the work.

But, you have to skip the BMP headers, and the graphics data is stored upside down.

i would not go for g2f for map editing and converting... why? g2f was implemented for static pictures... and when g2f is optimising the fonts/chars used in a pic (so its not always 1 charset each 3 scanlines... ;) of course sometimes even just 1...)

now...when you are turning your bitmaps of your level data into a charset... its more likely that each of your level spices get another order of the charset or use different amount of charsets in total... so i guess horizontal scrolling will be difficult as your display gets corrupted and dont forget that how do you switch "fonts" on the fly when scrolling 2 different bitmaps?

i would go for a standard map/tile editor which use 1 font for the whole level where you can build up your map.

some use envision... some (like me...) use charpad from c64...

thanks a bunch. I am currently re-learning all the basics right now using MAC/65 and making my own macros/equates so i can get it all back in my head again.

Are there some good publically available snippets of game code worth having for games like horizontal scrolling shooters out there?