IGNORED

Cart probs (Atarimax, USB)

twh/f2

Hello everybody,

I have a Atarimax Flash-Cart and a USB-Cart. Both carts work fine on my primary 130 XE (Stereo, 1MB).

Now I found out that on a second totally independet Atari I can't use the flash cart. The flash tool always brings up error messages. First I thought ok, that's a problem only for the Atarimax flash cart. I tested the flash cart with a third atari and got the same result. Strange!! Only one of three 8bits can be used with the flash cart.

Now I found out that it's not only a problem with the flash cart. I have the same effect with my USB Cart. Only with my primary 130 XE I can use my USB cart, otherwise programs just crash or even can't find the USB cart.

What is so special about my primary 130 XE and what can I do that my other 2 Ataris (plain 130XE, 800XE) work with my carts too? What have these carts in common?

I tried to switch the power adapter. With no result. Bad luck With my two other Ataris?

\twh

Howdy TWH

It's probably not the $D5xx line, as the USB cart doesn't use that one IIRC.

Does it use the Phi2 signal? If yes, check out the CPU, if it come from Mexico, replace it. Or create a new Phi2 signal using a 74LS74 (see my BlackBox page and search for "Fixing Phi2, the proper way:").

Greetings

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Now I found out that on a second totally independet Atari I can't use the flash cart. The flash tool always brings up error messages. First I thought ok, that's a problem only for the Atarimax flash cart. I tested the flash cart with a third atari and got the same result. Strange!! Only one of three 8bits can be used with the flash cart.

You might want to exchange the flash cartridge. More information here:

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408

Now I found out that it's not only a problem with the flash cart. I have the same effect with my USB Cart. Only with my primary 130 XE I can use my USB cart, otherwise programs just crash or even can't find the USB cart.

What is so special about my primary 130 XE and what can I do that my other 2 Ataris (plain 130XE, 800XE) work with my carts too? What have these carts in common?

Both cartridges use the o2, r/w and cctrl signals. If any of those were weak or missing it would prevent those carts from working, even though rom cartridges might still work.

Steve