IGNORED

Questions about MIDI, SCSI, and Upgrades

Starting a new thread for a new computer.

First, how can I set up two midi instruments to be used at once? Do I need an expansion box? I'd like to be able to create sounds on my TX81Z and then test them with my CZ-101 as a controller at the same time, but I don't know exactly how to rig the cables. I should be able to do CZ-101 OUT -> ATARI IN -> ATARI OUT/THRU -> TX81Z IN, right?

Second, among all the things that came with my new Mega, I have both an ICD Link SCSI adapter, and an ICD FaST SCSI hard drive enclosure, as well as another SCSI enclosure. The FaST enclosure doesn't have a drive in it, but the other SCSI box does. Can I just use the ICD Link with the other enclosure, or do I need to somehow integrate the FaST box into this? When I do have a drive for the FaST, can I integrate it in with the Link? Would I even need the Link with the FaST in the mix? There are also two ACSI ports on the back of the FaST. Can I use those as an ACSI interface, along with the external SCSI interface, to my SH204?

On that same note, the FaST enclosure has power connectors for three drives. Can I use three hard SCSI hard drives in the one fast enclosure?

Finally, what speed/ram upgrades can I use with the Mega? It's an ST4, in case that matters (in terms of internal space or potential ram, I guess). I'd like to upgrade the TOS, what's the max I can go up to?

I love this thing. The keyboard is a million times better than the 520/1040. Not as mushy. :cool:

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Edited by Asolac

First, how can I set up two midi instruments to be used at once? Do I need an expansion box? I'd like to be able to create sounds on my TX81Z and then test them with my CZ-101 as a controller at the same time, but I don't know exactly how to rig the cables. I should be able to do CZ-101 OUT -> ATARI IN -> ATARI OUT/THRU -> TX81Z IN, right?

This is possible, but this way you'll only have sound from the TX81Z, not from the CZ-101. Does any of these devices have MIDI Thru? What you can do also is CZ-101 [OUT] -> [iN] TX81Z [OUT] -> [iN] Atari [OUT] -> [iN] CZ-101

Second, among all the things that came with my new Mega, I have both an ICD Link SCSI adapter, and an ICD FaST SCSI hard drive enclosure, as well as another SCSI enclosure. The FaST enclosure doesn't have a drive in it, but the other SCSI box does. Can I just use the ICD Link with the other enclosure, or do I need to somehow integrate the FaST box into this? When I do have a drive for the FaST, can I integrate it in with the Link? Would I even need the Link with the FaST in the mix? There are also two ACSI ports on the back of the FaST. Can I use those as an ACSI interface, along with the external SCSI interface, to my SH204?

I suppose you should be able to use the ICD Link on both enclosures. Probably you can daisy chain both devices with a general SCSI cable and then hook up the first device to the Atari with the use of the ICD Link. Make sure every device has it's own ID and termination is correct!

On that same note, the FaST enclosure has power connectors for three drives. Can I use three hard SCSI hard drives in the one fast enclosure?

It seems it's designed that way :D You have to watch out however, there are limits to the total amount of partitions you can use at once with TOS as well as the size of each partition.

Finally, what speed/ram upgrades can I use with the Mega? It's an ST4, in case that matters (in terms of internal space or potential ram, I guess). I'd like to upgrade the TOS, what's the max I can go up to?

With the Mega normally you can only have 4MB of ram, so you're probably are at it's maximum. There are however solutions that enables you to have more ram, but these add-in boards are hard to get and therefore expensive. If you Google for 'Atari Mega ST ram expension' you should have some decent results :cool:

I love this thing. The keyboard is a million times better than the 520/1040. Not as mushy. :cool:

Good luck and it's great to have a new Atarian on the forum :)

<snip>

Another poster answered some of your questions, so I've snipped those.

4 megs is the top limit that came with the Mega ST series. However, Best

Electronics sells a board that will add an additional 8 megs of TT type RAM.

TOS can be upgraded to v2.06, which is highly desirable, and is even

necessary to use the 8 meg RAM board that I mentioned.

Also, as the other poster mentioned, these boards and addons are fairly

expensive, although I feel that they are worth it, and your ST certainly

deserves it. :)

and you're right - the Mega ST, Mega STe, and TTs keyboards are much

improved over the stock 520/1040s...

First:

ST-Book keyboards are still better than everything else in the ST-TT-Falcon line of computers. 8)

Unfortunately they like to get damaged...

Second (on-topic):

With a Pak3, FRaK2 and Panther one can upgrade a Mega ST to TOS 3.06, 50 Mhz 68030, 64 megs of FastRam and a decent and coloured screen resolution.

These things are rare and will really cost money.

I'm thinking about getting such a powerful Mega ST myself as well. A friend of mine has one, but it doesn't work properly, not to say not at all. I'm not up to date on details about this machine.

Just for speeding a Mega ST up a bit there are some hardware hacks to do this:

One can speed the whole board to 10 or 12 mhz or one can double the cpu speed. Maybe it's possible to do both in order to have 12 mhz on the board and 24 on the cpu.

I think it is also possible to use a 68010 on the STs but I'm not sure about speed advantages.

CZ-101 [OUT]-> [iN] TX81Z [OUT] -> [iN] Atari [OUT] -> [iN] CZ-101

This will not work. The second device has to have a thru port for this.

CZ-101 [OUT] -> [iN] TX81Z [THRU] -> [iN] Atari [OUT] -> [iN] CZ-101

Also the CZ-101 must have a local off function to not play both notes (keyboard and midi signal) at a time.

Just for speeding a Mega ST up a bit there are some hardware hacks to do this:

One can speed the whole board to 10 or 12 mhz or one can double the cpu speed. Maybe it's possible to do both in order to have 12 mhz on the board and 24 on the cpu.

I think it is also possible to use a 68010 on the STs but I'm not sure about speed advantages.

As far as that goes, some of the cheaper accelerators are still available from places

like Best Electronics and B&C Computevision...

I think the Adspeed (16mhz) and T28s can still be purchased. Note that most of these

will require removal of the old CPU.

As you said though, some of these are pretty expensive - especially the '030 stuff.

This is possible, but this way you'll only have sound from the TX81Z, not from the CZ-101. Does any of these devices have MIDI Thru? What you can do also is CZ-101 [OUT] -> [iN] TX81Z [OUT] -> [iN] Atari [OUT] -> [iN] CZ-101

CZ-101 [OUT]-> [iN] TX81Z [OUT] -> [iN] Atari [OUT] -> [iN] CZ-101

This will not work. The second device has to have a thru port for this.

CZ-101 [OUT] -> [iN] TX81Z [THRU] -> [iN] Atari [OUT] -> [iN] CZ-101

Also the CZ-101 must have a local off function to not play both notes (keyboard and midi signal) at a time.

Well, hearing the CZ-101 notes isn't necessary, because I'm using it as a controller for the TX81Z. I need the Atari OUT to be going to the 81Z IN so that I can send programming data to it, and the CZ doesn't have a THRU. I understand that the atari OUT also functions as a THRU, but I'm not sure of the mechanics of it. It seems like CZ OUT -> ATARI IN -> ATARI OUT/THRU -> TX81Z IN would work best, but I want to make sure. The TX81Z has midi thru as well, but since that's what is going to be recieving all the signals being sent by the CZ and the Atari that doesn't help things much. I guess the best thing I can do is try it, so I'll rig it up tomorrow night.

Thanks for the help otherwise, guys. I'm definetely going to think about upgrading to 2.06. Why is mouse accuracy so terrible in TOS but massively improved in Neodesk? I'd love to play with something above 2.06 but I don't think I'll have the cash to drop on that kind of thing for a little while.

I just wish the keyboard on my XEGS was more like the Mega than the stock 520/1040. That thing is nearly impossible to type on. :|

Thanks for the help otherwise, guys. I'm definetely going to think about upgrading to 2.06. Why is mouse accuracy so terrible in TOS but massively improved in Neodesk? I'd love to play with something above 2.06 but I don't think I'll have the cash to drop on that kind of thing for a little while.

I just wish the keyboard on my XEGS was more like the Mega than the stock 520/1040. That thing is nearly impossible to type on. :|

Hmm, you using any of the mouse accelerator software thats out there?

I think even the basic one by Atari made the mouse action easier to live

with.

As far as your 8bit goes - there is a fairly inexpensive keyboard upgrade,

($30 or so) from Best Electronics that you can use on almost any XE

class 8bit. I'm not sure but I think that would include the XEGS.