IGNORED

picture quality on PAL 7800

panamajoe

the picture quality of my PAL Atari 7800 is pretty bad...

:(

while 7800 games look quite OK, 2600 games are downright ugly: washed out colors and lots of "noise" on the screen.

I use the standard RF cable, the same one i use on my 2600jr. which looks pretty good with it...

any ideas what i can do about the 7800s poor picture quality?

Edited by panamajoe

any ideas what i can do about the 7800s poor picture quality?

Buy a NES ......

:P

:roll: you know what: i already own one. and it doesn´t improve the picture quality of my 7800 a bit

Edited by panamajoe

Well, I couldn't possibly offer much advice on PAL 7800, But...

My NTSC 7800 AND 2600 (and 5200 for that matter) used to have a lot of "noise". All I did was darken the picture a bit and believe it or not, 90% of the "noise" went away. It works especially well on outer space games (black background, stands to reason) and even most other games look better.

Yeah, ptetty simplistic fix and will almost certainly not work for everyone but it did for me.

Plus, I wound up acquiring a heavy sixer 2600, and its amazing how much better the picture quality became. I can lighten the picture back to normal and most of the noise isnt there anymore. I still keep my screen a little dark though for my other systems. Seems like when you get RF feedback/noise theres not a hole helluva lot you can do. :|

Hallo Trierer

also mein 7800 funktioniert recht gut.Vielleicht ist ja irgendein Wackler im Kabel.War bei mir mal der Fall.Habe dann das Antennenabel getauscht und alles lief gut.

Natürlich wäre ein 7800 mit Scart noch besser von der Bildqualität.Gabs aber nur in Frankreich,soweit ich weiss.

Gruss Walter

:roll: you know what: i already own one. and it doesn´t improve the picture quality of my 7800 a bit

Mabye your not doing it right :ponder:

I just got my first 7800 games today and was supprised that the noise isn't as bad

with them as with the 2600 carts. Possibly somthing to do with the TIA.

I'd suggest an A/V mod or a lead RF sheild.

Natürlich wäre ein 7800 mit Scart noch besser von der Bildqualität.Gabs aber nur in Frankreich,soweit ich weiss.

Gruss Walter

na, das ist doch interessant... Frankreich ist ja quasi ums Eck... weisst du zufällig ob die Secam-Geräte auch an NTSC/PAL Fernsehern funktionieren? Dann würde ich mir doch einfach ein Baguette 7800 auf ebay.fr ersteigern...

english:

French 7800 had an SCART adaper which produces much better picture quality, but i don´t know if the french SECAM systems will work with my NTSC/ PAL TV.

english:

French 7800 had an SCART adaper which produces much better picture quality, but i don´t know if the french SECAM systems will work with my NTSC/ PAL TV.

The French SCART 7800s are not SECAM they are PAL. Picture quality is very nice. :)

Mitch

english:

The French SCART 7800s are not SECAM they are PAL. Picture quality is very nice. :)

Mitch

that´s good news! thanks! :)

english:

Mitch

that´s good news! thanks! :)

Hallo Panamajoe

jawoll,Mitch hat Recht.Funktioniert super.Nur bevor du bei den Baguette Brüdern eins ersteigerst,frag am Besten nach,ob es auch den Scart Anschluss hat.Ich hab eins mit Scart durch Zufall ersteigert.Wollte eigentlich nur das HES Baseball haben und hab dann einen kompletten Pack bekommen.

Abgesehen davon,Trier ist ja nicht weit vo Freisen weg.Vielleicht können wir uns ja mal treffen?

Gruss Walter

jawoll,Mitch hat Recht.Funktioniert super.Nur bevor du bei den Baguette Brüdern eins ersteigerst,frag am Besten nach,ob es auch den Scart Anschluss hat.Ich hab eins mit Scart durch Zufall ersteigert.Wollte eigentlich nur das HES Baseball haben und hab dann einen kompletten Pack bekommen.

In France the SCART connector is called péritel. So you should look for that on ebay.fr.

On the original question:

Some of my PAL 7800s had problems with fading colours in 2600 mode. The problem was the colour adjustment potentiometer for 2600 mode. Removing the glue drop and turning the potentiometer all the way 50 to 100 times for cleaning it before retuning the colours fixed the problem for me. If that doesn't work for you, replacing the potentiometer might help.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg