IGNORED

The Atari Flashback 3 Petition

With Atari's new management, I don't think we will see an Atari Flashback 3 from them.

Indeed. I imagine most people don't realize how the new management would view Atari's assets. Creating gaming hardware as a toy is a low margin, high market volatility, high risk venture. Creating console games is a high margin, low market volatility, high risk venture. From a pure balance sheet perspective, pumping money into games seems to make more sense than creating new toy lines.

Of course, the inherent foolishness in such a decision is that the Atari name is near valueless in the modern gaming market. In result, Atari would need to accept greater and greater risk if they wished to rebuild the brand from nothing. In the toy market, on the other hand, the Atari name is synonymous with classic gaming. There's a potential for quite a bit of growth there. Even to the point of using the toy market as a springboard for the more lucrative console gaming market.

But execs don't see it that way. They have no "feel" for the brand. So they keep blindly pumping money into misusing and abusing a brand.

• 1 month later...
i would pick one up in an instant

Come on Atari, let's get this done, and add a cartridge port too. :)

if the cart port was added to the flashback you'd see a lot of people in my opinion buy it because

A) cheap to make

B) compatible with 2600 games from then people were kids

C) Shows Atari lives on BUT NOW IN MAINSTREAM ... Almost :D

Edited by MrAtari2600

if the cart port was added to the flashback you'd see a lot of people in my opinion buy it because

A) cheap to make

I suppose an argument can made for the opposite effect. While it would be appealing for the several hundred active enthusiasts still kicking around these days, it might turn off the inactive nostalgist. Some type of flash solution sadly might be the most practical solution for the mass market.

A) cheap to make

I suppose an argument can made for the opposite effect. While it would be appealing for the several hundred active enthusiasts still kicking around these days, it might turn off the inactive nostalgist. Some type of flash solution sadly might be the most practical solution for the mass market.

I don't care if it has a flash drive, cartridge slot, or a woman that pops out of the box when you open it. I just want the thing to be made and sold. :P

A) cheap to make

Here's my ultimate dream: This Fall, Atari releases their FB3, with cart port. It's a huge success this Christmas and through next year. With the added funds, in 2011 Atari releases a modern system, to computer with releases of the PS4, XBox 720, and Nintendo Domination (I refuse to say Wii 2, It anmything it's Nintendo 6). We can always pray! :)

A) cheap to make

It wouldn't turn off anybody. If they don't want to use the cart port, no one will force them too. It will come with 40+ games built-in.

[quote name='MrAtari2600' post='1665770'

It wouldn't turn off anybody. If they don't want to use the cart port, no one will force them too. It will come with 40+ games built-in.

I'm talking about mass market intimidation factor. The cart port appeals to people like us, not "Joe Casual". Obviously I'd prefer it and think it should have it regardless, but to play devil's advocate there's no particular advantage to having one for Atari and several negatives, including additional cost of materials, which would hurt profits.

As for your "ultimate dream" of Atari making a comeback in the console realm, considering it requires the company to be a huge international corporation with nearly unlimited funds to release a competitive console, that's a mighty big dream and would be the greatest corporate turnaround in history. I don't see what the big deal is anyway with needing an Atari branded console. Who makes the console shouldn't matter as long as the games are on there.

[quote name='MrAtari2600' post='1665770'

I'm talking about mass market intimidation factor. The cart port appeals to people like us, not "Joe Casual". Obviously I'd prefer it and think it should have it regardless, but to play devil's advocate there's no particular advantage to having one for Atari and several negatives, including additional cost of materials, which would hurt profits.

As for your "ultimate dream" of Atari making a comeback in the console realm, considering it requires the company to be a huge international corporation with nearly unlimited funds to release a competitive console, that's a mighty big dream and would be the greatest corporate turnaround in history. I don't see what the big deal is anyway with needing an Atari branded console. Who makes the console shouldn't matter as long as the games are on there.

I'm for company loyalty. I don't try and sway anyone's opinion, nor do I put anyone down, so don't flame me for this:

I refuse to even play a Playstation or Xbox simply because Sony and MS were not in the video gaming business since the Golden Age or earler. I do play the Wii, only because Nintendo has been making video games since the 70's, starting out in the arcades. I don't play with new kids on the block. They have to trace their roots back nearly 30 years for me to even consider them. With that being said, I'll play the Wii, and would play an Atari or Sega system if they returned, and also would welcome systems from Capcom and Konami, companies that have been making video games starting with arcades for 30 years.

As for your "ultimate dream" of Atari making a comeback in the console realm, considering it requires the company to be a huge international corporation with nearly unlimited funds to release a competitive console, that's a mighty big dream and would be the greatest corporate turnaround in history.

Its a moot point. First, it has nothing to do with Atari Inc., Atari Interactive is the one that would be slapping the logo on it and giving permission - requires no turnaround for Atari Inc. Secondly, "Atari" is a huge international corporation - it exists solely as a brand name in complete control of Infogrames. Atari Inc. was just licensing the brand from them, and now with its complete acquisition, is just another full branch of Infogrames where all the subsidiaries are branded with the Atari name. Since Gardner and Harrison came on board, they moved even further to consolidate and position the brand as the main future of Infogrames including an international restructuring of operations this past year.

As stated previously, they currently have no interest in Atari on any non-software product. That includes licensing out to others. They are extremely focused structurally on Harrison's online distribution vision.

I don't see what the big deal is anyway with needing an Atari branded console. Who makes the console shouldn't matter as long as the games are on there.

Yes, options are certainly always being investigated for anything we have in the pipeline.

I don't see what the big deal is anyway with needing an Atari branded console. Who makes the console shouldn't matter as long as the games are on there.

Yes, options are certainly always being investigated for anything we have in the pipeline.

Perhaps we should think of a new brand name, something that would be the spiritual successor to Atari?

Aha! Just remembered, numbers cannot be registered as trademarks so it could be sold as a '2600' portable games console or an '800' computer.

Edited by Math You

A) cheap to make

wellthe NES has a new system a clone that plays NES and SNES games,

And yet

even though its selling quite a bit

people still want the original system!

• 2 weeks later...
Now may not be the best time to market something as a toy.

Home entertainment stuff (including video games) always do well during recessions. Not like home video setups (Dolby systems with huge TVs) but yes for games, movies, et cetera.

Market the thing as a money saver. Get a computer with $3000 worth of games (in 1984 prices)! for $75! But wait, there is more! Download more, inexpensive, games on your PC to flashcard memory to use on your flashback 3 computer! Flashcard included.

Later, add a keyboard and printer for schoolwork! No internet available (wink).

Umm, I sold myself. Wish they'd make them... I want a couple.

Edited by sl0re

• 2 months later...