IGNORED

Front Line Arcade

dr. kwack

Greets.

I haven't done a hack for awhile and I usually do conversion "improvements". This time around I'm attempting to change Front Line by Coleco so it looks a bit more like the arcade version.

This is a work in progress and so far...

Changed the walking style of the soldiers. Now they have more of the "boogie method" of the arcade.

I also altered the body as the arcade only shows one arm when walking.

Changed the "death throe" to better resemble the arcade- this is weird though, the enemy soldier's helmets are green, butr when the "hero soldier" dies, his turns brown.

Altered the large and small tanks as well. Small tank has a longer gun and the large tank has a more T-shaped gun as per arcade.

I'm horrible at this game in MAME so I'm not sure what else needs changed. Suggestions or comments are welcome as always.

fla6.zip

I'm horrible at this game in MAME so I'm not sure what else needs changed. Suggestions or comments are welcome as always.

I have you thought about using the cheat.dat file? Some that's cheap but I would argue it's a very useful tool when doing reseach or taking screenshots.

You get that dat file from http://cheat.retrogames.com/ then click on Pugsy's cheat file and download the lastest one.

Didn't the arcade front line use a joystick for moving and a rotary knob for aiming? I wonder how difficult (or even practical) it would be to change the controls to use something like a a joystick and a driving controller in different ports? Seems like an idea, but I have trouble imagining someone trying to manage all those controls at once.

I have to agree that changing the controls would be kinda awkward. I still can't manage games like Spy Hunter very well just for that reason.

Nonetheless, here is my final version of Front Line. Added the following changes:

The number font was altered to more resemble Taito's.

Changed the lives remaining icon from a tank into a helmet as per arcade.

Further tweaked the tanks to better resemble the arcade version.

Changed the rocks and cacti in the desert a bit.

Solidified most of the brick walls in the fortress area.

Modified the "leaping soldier" sprite a bit.

Changed the fortress tank a bit as well.

Changed the explosion sprites to look more like the Taito style "poofs" of the game and less like the crummy Coleco Zaxxon explosions.

That's all I can remember for now. Enjoy!

Front_Line_Arcade_Final.zip