IGNORED

What systems are most plentiful in your collection?

The thread about the non-rarity/over-common status of Genesis consoles got me thinking about what system I had represented in my collection the most... I've got three Gennys (all original models), but it's definitely not the most plentiful in my collection. That'd have to be the 2600-- I've got 2 heavy sixers, 2 light, a couple of 4-switchers, a Jr, and a couple Telegames of various types, for 9+ 2600s sitting around. I used to own more Commodore 64s than that (over 20 at one point; people kept giving me their set-ups in the 90s), but pared down recently to one breadbox and one 64c.

In any case, it reminded me of how relatively inexpensive the 2600 was about 10 years ago-- I worked at a thrift store, and we regularly sold them for 99 cents a pop because they were so plentiful. I wonder if the Genesis will ever recover from its overubiquity like the 2600 did?

Other systems over-represented in my collection:

Atari 8-bit- 5 (1 each 400, 800, 600xl, 800xl, XEGS)

5200- 4 (2 4-port, 2 2-port, all have problems)

SMS- 3 (2 original, 1 SMS2)

NES- 3 (all original)

ColecoVision- 3

MicroVision- 3

GB- 3 (2 original, 1 pocket)

SNES- 3 (3 original and a retail display kiosk)

I don't have more than one of one console but many from one company. for atari all i have is a 2600. for nintendo i have nes,snes and n64. for sega i have genesis model one, sega 32x and a broken dreamcast. sold my playstation one last week plan on getting a saturn better system in my opinion.

I don't have too many of any single console system, but it'd probably still be the 2600 for me. I've got a 4-switch Atari VCS, a Sears heavy sixer, and a Sears Video Arcade II. I also at one point had a 2600 Jr. but I traded that.

I guess since that trade, though, my Saturn collection is tied with my 2600 collection at three. I have a US round-switch system, a Japanese Derby Stallion system and a JVC V-Saturn.

If we're only counting game consoles, the 2600 is the one I have the most of. I decided (against better judgment) to start collecting console variations, and I've amassed all the different 2600 releases (not counting the Sears variants) released in the U.S. So, I now have a heavy sixer, a light sixer, two four-switch Woodys, three four-switch Vaders (one dead), and two Juniors (one dead).

I have five or six NES toasters also, that one of these days I'll get around to selling. Even with new cartridge ports, the toaster NES's can be quite finicky, so I'd rather sell them locally instead of eBay-ing them.

If we count computers, then it's definitely Commodore 64 hardware that takes up the most space.

Hmm, strangley enough. I actually have 3 different Intelivision system. The original system. The sears version, and the Intellivision II. I have one Heavy Sixer Atari and one Heavy Sixer Sears. A Vader and I think a woodgrain, and one 7800, A commodore 64. 2 genesis systems. A boxed 5200. And a Aracaidia. And a couple of others I can not think of right now.

2600s: 15-20?, I don't know what I plan to do with all of them. Back-ups I guess. 4-switch woodies seem to be the most ubiquitous.

Pong Systems: 4, Atari and generic. They're just so strange looking and usually pretty cheap so I usually pick them up if I see them.

7800s: 3. I looked in the thrifts and fleamarkets forever and finally gave up and bought one from eBay. Naturally, I soon found 2 more for great prices in the wild.

Genesis: 3 counting the JVC X'Eye. If I bought every cheap Genesis I saw it would easily be at the top of the list.

NES: 2 or 3. With the toaster style you definitely need back-ups.

SNES: 2

N64: 2. I bought the second one mostly for the controllers.

Saturn: 2. One non-working

5200: 1, 4-port

Intellivision: 1, a NIB Intellivision II. I'm still trying to decide whether to open it up or just buy another one to play. The box isn't in great shape so maybe I'll open it.... and yet..... decisions, decisions.

SMS: 1

Odyssey^2: 1

TI 99/4A: 1

Microvision: 1

I think that's it. If I add a Colecovision my console wants should be pretty well complete.

3 or 4 assorted Atari 2600 consoles

3 5200 consoles

5 7800 consoles (two bought just this week, on the same day!)

3 Atari Lynx units

2 Odyssey 2 consoles

3 or 4 assorted Atari 8-bit computers

2 Sega Master System units

4 Sega Genesis consoles, all models

2 Telegames DINA consoles

2 NES consoles (only 1 working)

3 Colecovision consoles (only 1 working)

2 Intellivisions (a model 1, and an INTV II)

6 TI-99/4A consoles

3 Timex Sinclair 1000 computers

2 Game Gear units

3 TRS-80 Co-Co computers (a model 1, a model 2, and a Teletext console)

3 Sega Dreamcast units (two white, one Sega Sports black)

2 Sega Saturns

I'm not too bad about picking up duplicate consoles. I've started passing on a lot of consoles when I come across them in the wild. I've only got so much room, after all.

Edited by SteveW

I have:

5 5200s (need to sell a few of these!)

3 Intellivisions

3 2600s (2 to be sold soon)

1 7800

1 NES

1 Odyssey 2

S, yeah, the 5200s. They are such a pain to get rid of and they always come in waves--no one wants them locally and they are heavy to ship...agh.

I don't have many of any one system. But the one system I have the most of is.....

NES I have around 11 toasters (Only one works, need pins for others) and 2 Toploaders, which I personally use.

Close second would be GameBoy. I have two advances, White and Purple, a silver pocket, a teal green Color, a Purple Color, and 4 DMG's Also 2 SGB's if you count that....considering it uses the SNES to work.

I only have 6 Atari 2600's, 2 Jr's, and 3 woodgrain four switches, and one vader.

Genesis, I have 4, 1 original model, 2 model 2 and one 3

Most other systems I only have two consoles. Including 5200, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, Game Gear, N64, C64, Intelivision, Odyssey2, Dreamcasts...I'll have to go look for others to see what else I got.

You guys make me look tame. Right now:

Two Sega Genesis units, one Model 1, and one Model 2.

Two Atari 4-switch units, one Woody, and one Vader. The Vader was the guinnea pig of a failed AV mod, and is awaiting an evening of work to become the parts donor to a Flashback 2 modification project.

The only thing I'm guilty of is having far more controllers than is healthy. I think the fewest I have for a given system is five for the NES, and most of those are for eventual projects. The most controllers for a system is 9, and that's for the Genesis units, including all the arcade sticks I've picked up.

The only duplicate console I have anymore is the 2600. I have three of those...

Edit: Just remembered I have 2 gameboys (a Color and Pocket version) as well as a GBA and a GBA SP. I also have a Playstation and a PSOne, but the original Playstation is dead, soI should probably throw it out.

Is a dead Playstation good for anything?

Edited by Lord Helmet

I have a box with about 20+ 2600 controllers in it. It all started when a friend came over to play one day (maybe 3-4 years ago) and all I had were the stock 2600 joysticks. I pride myself on pretty much having any Atari game that anyone will want to play, so he was happy I had Venture...but then trouble started when he found out that I didn't have a Pointmaster stick. "Dude," he says "there is no way I can play with those crap sticks."

Ever since that day, I've made sure to hold on to at least one of any popular stick that comes my way. The only major one I'm missing is a Tron model, and I'm not shelling out the bucks for one of those.

The irony is that I use nothing but the stock 2600 and 7800 sticks.

The only thing I'm guilty of is having far more controllers than is healthy. I think the fewest I have for a given system is five for the NES, and most of those are for eventual projects.

Gee, where do you guys find all of the room? That is my biggest constraint (oh yeah, that and money, and maybe the wife).

My list is as per below. I am wanting to add another Colecovision, Intellivision II and Spectrum + along with a Vectrex, 5200 and Apple II to my collection and that should be about it.

SteveW - 6 TI99/4A's - I LOVE your style :).

I recently sold a bunch of my extra consoles at CinciClassic otherwise the numbers would have been skewed towards the Atari 2600 but the Genny wins now w/ 7 (if I count the X-Exe & CDX)

5 Sega Genesis - 2 Model 1s, 2 Model 2s, 1 Model 3

5 SegaCD - 1 Model 1, 2 Model 2, 1 X-Eye, 1 CDX

2 Sega Saturn

2 Sega Dreamcast - white (I want to get a black sports model)

2 Sega Master systems - 1 w/ built in games, 1 w/o

4 Sega GameGear - 3 Black, 1 Blue

3 Bally Astrocades - 1 Bally Computer System (dead :( ), 1 Bally Arcade, 1 white Arcade

5 Atari 8bit - 3 800s, 1 400, 1 XEGS

3 Atari 2600 - 1 Heavy Sixer, 1 4 switch, 1 Vader

5 Atari Lynx - 3 Model 1s, 2 Model 2s

3 TI 99/4a - 2 black & silver, 1 biege

2 NES - toasters

3 SNES - Model 1s

3 N64 - 2 black, 1 blue

3 Gameboy - 2 grey bricks, 1 clear blue color gameboy

4 Gameboy Advance - 1 purple, 1 platinum, 1 white, 1 black SP (I want to get a micro)

3 PS1 - 2 w/ parallel ports, 1 w/o

3 PS2 - all large

3 3DO - 1 Panasonic FZ-1, 1 Panasonic FZ-10, 1 Goldstar (Still looking for a Sanyo)

2 TRS Coco 2 (why? I'm not sure)

2 TRS Model 100

2 XBOX

2 Microvision

I think that's all of my duplicates although I'll probably remember something else once I click submit :P

EDIT: I knew it

5 Atari ST - 2 520STFM, 2 1040ST(FM?), 1 ST MEGA2

Edited by glitch

Is a dead Playstation good for anything?

If you know what's wrong with the PSX, you can salvage the good parts, or use another dead system to make a working one.

There's lots of useful stuff in the Playstations. The power supply is seperate, well, not seperate of the system, but it's on it's own circut board and can be unpluged. Model of the Playstation may be important, I've only had a 9000 apart, so I don't know if these changed shape, design, etc or not.

The Laser assembly is obviously salvageable, though it's useually the part most likely to fail. There's probably other stuff. But these are the easiest to get to, without worying about damaging them while removing them from the system.

The only console I have more than one of is the N64. I picked up an extra one for $10 just for the three controllers that came with it. It was cheaper than finding and buying individual controllers! :D

I just don't have the room for extra consoles. And then factor in the wife, who feels it doesn't make sense to have multiple consoles. :ponder: I mean, who said that collecting was logical? ;)

The closest I get to multiple consoles is two Socket A computers.

Got one each of these:

Atari 7800 (third run)

Game Gear (second run)

Gameboy Color

Sega Saturn (second run)

Nintendo 64

Sega Dreamcast (first run?)

PlayStation 2 (first run)

Pentium II based PC (gonna be used primarily for older games)

and the two gAyMD boxes