IGNORED

Opinions on 7800 joypads?

godzillajoe

Thinking of getting a couple of these. How do they respond to use/abuse?

They're actually tough little suckers. Like most gamepads, the lack of protruding parts allows them to withstand quite a bit of abuse. (Granted, the thumbstick protrudes, but it's a small piece of tought plastic.)

Are there any types of games they aren't good for (Centipede, Robotron, Ms Pac-Man, sports games....)
Generally, fine control tends to be a problem with them. I find that I occasionally press a diagonal when I mean to move in a specific direction. You can unscrew the thumbstick to compensate, but the hole in the middle of the direction indicator is rather annoying.

Do the 2600 games work well with them (not that there should be any difference)

They work just fine. I get all my best scores in Enduro using my joypad.

Thanks for the info guys. Now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I'll get one instead of 2 and see if I like it.

What controllers WOULD you recommend for the 7800, I generally use original 2600 sticks and have a couple of the proline sticks for the two button games but they're in need of repair or cleaning as going left seems to stick quite a bit

Thanks for the info guys. Now I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I'll get one instead of 2 and see if I like it.

What controllers WOULD you recommend for the 7800, I generally use original 2600 sticks and have a couple of the proline sticks for the two button games but they're in need of repair or cleaning as going left seems to stick quite a bit

The 7800 joypads are totally awsome!! I have 4 of them and if your really intrested in getting a pair I'll sell you a set for $30, You won't regret it. I personally think it's the best stock controller ATARI ever made.

I recomend you mod one of these, or have someone do it for you. Best 7800 two button stick (and it's right or left handed :))

I do believe that Mr. Helmet was trying to say that you should have someone mod you a Radica Space Invaders plug and play stick. Since there are buttons on both sides, it works for both lefties and righties.

I recomend you mod one of these, or have someone do it for you. Best 7800 two button stick (and it's right or left handed :))

I do believe that Mr. Helmet was trying to say that you should have someone mod you a Radica Space Invaders plug and play stick. Since there are buttons on both sides, it works for both lefties and righties.

Oh bloody hell :)

Thanks, I forgot to paste in the link :dunce:

The only games that don't work well with joypads are ones with tons of directional movement. Such as Turmoil, Saboteur, ect... You thumb gets tired from pushing on the pad so hard. For these games I just get out my competition pro joystick which takes the abuse well.

The modified nes joypad is what I used to beat thrust. It has very fine control which is essential for that game. I am sure the Atari brand joypads would work very similar.

Joypads work perfect for all the 7800 and 2600 games IMO. The nes mod controllers are OK if the NES pad is your thing. Myself I like the D-pad being of centred and the larger fire buttons of the ATARI pad alot more than the NES pad. No one knows for sure but the person playing the game as to what controller suits their needs best. Your just gonna have to try them out for yourself to find out.

The 7800 joypads are totally awsome!! I have 4 of them and if your really intrested in getting a pair I'll sell you a set for $30, You won't regret it. I personally think it's the best stock controller ATARI ever made.

That is a great price!

I like using the joypad myself while hubbs uses a stick.

(That just doesn't sound quite right,lol.) :ponder: